My Defender 90 project.

PCRover

Here is the current status of my Defender 90 project.

The decision was made to convert from a 5 speed to an automatic several months ago and it has been a learning process ever since. Bottom line it took a couple of false starts on the conversion but it finally got done last week. I provided all the pieces required and Frank at Cerrone's did the R&R on the drive lines for me. As usual Cerrone's did a super job and Frank was very patient with the whole process as we both learned what it takes to do this swap. Thanks Frank and Tony!

The transmission cooler is a Flex-a-lite model with a cooling fan already installed. It is the one on the right in the pictures, the left fan if for the Air Conditioning. The TC fan is wired to a in-line temp sensor that turns it on and off automatically. I also added an over-ride switch so I can force it on when I feel it prudent to have some extra cooling.

I am now in the process of putting the interior pieces together and have just about everything needed. The center console is a fiberglass replica as the original factory piece is no longer available from LR and very hard to find used. It is almost ready for the center console to be installed, I am just waiting for the tcase shifter gaiter to arrive.

Another project in progress is the installation of Hella 4k lights on the roll cage. Today I was able to get the housings mounted and ready for wiring and lamp install. Unfortunately I found one of the lenses got broken in storage, so I need to purchase a Eurobeam lamp ASAP.

Very nice, Gary! I saw it up on the rack at Cerrone's but didn't want to bother Frank too much so I just got a glimpse. I'm sure it will all work out well for you. Looks great, particularly the cooling setup. :cool:

Will you be using the rooftop tent on the Oregon trip? Curious to know how you will mount it vis-a-vis the rack.

Brian, As far as using the RTT with the Defender my options seem to be:

1) Mount RTT to basket bottom and then cut front or rear side rails out of basket to allow RTT to fold out.

2) Buy and install new flat rack that has no sides.

3) Buy and use a tent cot and sell the RTT.

I am leaning toward #1 right now, but can't decide whether I would want it to open toward the front or rear. I like yours where you have an elevated entrance platform to the tent. But I also like the idea of the tent hanging over and allowing side curtains to be installed and used as a privacy room for changing or whatever.

Any thoughts?

I like the front mount because:

a. It centers the load of the tent when closed more evenly front to back.

b. Nothing is touching the ground when the tent is deployed so the vehicle could be moved slowly if needed.

c. The rear part of the rack is usable for other storage like jerry cans, gear, etc. as well as serving as a "patio". And that's where the access ladder is.

On the other hand, if you want the side curtains for a changing room or shower then the rear is the way to go. Are the tops of your lights below the level of the rack bottom? That might be a decider. :)

At this point I'm thinking I'll never use the side curtains for my Hannibal awning. It's just a big, heavy package to carry and lots of extra fuss to install.

Archived