Blown Head Gasket

CMW

HI,

I'm a new member.  I purchased my first Range Rover a little over a month ago.  It's a 2015 supercharged with 48k miles.  Friday, on my way to work it started missing badly.  I was only a couple blocks from home, so I turned around and headed home.  The check engine light came on.  I got home.  The temperature remained normal but after I shut it off and restarted it I got a low coolant warning.  I pulled the codes and it indicated a misfire on cylinder 7 and a persistent misfire.  I pulled the plugs today and the middle 2 cylinders on the left bank appear to not be running.  Needless to say I'm a little disappointed that I only got about 1000 miles on the truck before suffering a major problem.  I have an aftermarket extended warranty that I hope will cover this.

Can anyone recommend a good reliable mechanic or shop in the east bay.  I'm located in Livermore.

Thanks,

Chris

Man, that sucks. Hope the warranty covers it.

Colin with CT Motorwerks (Walnut Creek) is a good person to start with. EDIT: didn't see Rupert's comment before sending mine but glad we're in agreement :)

Welcome to the club. Hopefully the truck gets up and running soon so you can bring it out to a club event!

Edited by foster

Thanks! I’ll check with them in the morning. If there are any other suggestions, I’m all ears!

This really sucks, we were planning on taking the truck up to Yellowstone next Sunday for a three week family road trip! But, if it was going to happen I guess it’s best it happened here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help!!

I spoke with Colin this morning and he is a standup honest and knowledgeable guy.  He said he's in the middle of moving his shop and couldn't really look at the truck for a couple weeks. He also said he had never torn the heads off of one of these 5.0 SC engines and didn't have all the tools necessary.  I really appreciate that kind of honesty. So, he gave me the number for Exclusive British European in Campbell.  I called them and spoke to Juan.  He seems to be another good guy.  But they couldn't look at the truck until next week.

I also called the dealer that sold me the car and they assured me that the warranty they sold me would cover the repair. 

So, I've decided to not let this affect our planned vacation and take the family to Yellowstone.  I'll deal with this when we get back.

Again, thanks for the lead.  It's been a relief to talk to a few people and come to the realization that this will probably end well.

Chris

what's the code you're seeing? A number of things could cause mis-firing. 

Have you ruled out the ignition coil packs? You can try moving the coils and see if the misfire follows the pack or stays with cylinder. 

Basically, use magic marker and number the coil packs. write down which is misfiring. Then move the packs from 1-2-3-4 to 2-3-4-1 (or whatever). Reset & clear the ODB2 error, drive car and see what comes up. If the misfire follows the coil pack, then you have a bad coil and that's easy to replace. 

Disclaimer... I don't own a range rover, but i've troubleshoot engine misfires. :) 

good luck!