Service Required message

A couple weeks ago the Service Required message appears on the dash for a few seconds after start up.  Google said it is related to engine oil change.  I plugged in the IID Tool, but couldn't figure out what service is required.  In the IID Tool Faults section I saw a couple windshield wipers relayed faults.  In the Advance menu, I checked all the entries and ran the test again.  I got a long list of faults on just about everything.  But I don't think that was related to the Service Required message.

Does anyone know how to decrypt the 2013 LR4 Service Required message and how to clear it?

Thanks.

I think that is just triggered by mileage; it automatically comes up and tells you to service the vehicle every 15000 miles or so; not an error, just routine maintenance including the oil change.  The GAP tool can clear it but I don't know how off the top of my head.  I suspect it may be a little different on your LR4 than my LR3 anyway.

Lots of cars do this now as a way to drive you back to the dealer for regular service work like oil changes you can easily do yourself.  It's a big money maker for them.  

BTW, it's strongly advised to do more frequent oil changes on the LR4 than what the factory calls for.  I think they say 15K miles for oil - I'd cut that in half.  Just ask Erin about oil sludging issues....It cost her an engine rebuild that most likely would have been avoided by more frequent oil changes.  

A lot of the long oil change interval stuff is down to advertising.  By pushing the service longer they can claim a lower cost of ownership/operation and look better on the JD Powers or Consumer Reports type stuff that tracks the cost of owning the vehicle including taking it to the dealer for all recommended services for the first couple years.  But as you can tell it's not good for long-term ownership!

(again, Rover isn't alone in this - ask a BMW owner about oil changes)

So in short, I don't think you actually have anything wrong, you just need to reset the service indicator with the GAP tool.  I would also do oil changes (yourself preferably) more frequently than recommended.  I happen to do all my vehicles at 5000 miles.  It just makes it easier to keep track.  My van is recommended at 7500 miles; I'm not sure what the 4.6 in the D1 is supposed to be, and I think the LR3 is 7500 or more.  That's hard to remember so I just do them all on a 5K basis.  You can't 'over change' the oil.  Even if you changed oil every month all you would be loosing is money and time, no harm to the vehicle.

Here are my $.02 on LR4 maintenance - strongly recommend service every 5000-7500 miles. My mechanic has me on 5k services now after my engine issue. I had a service in September prior to the Rebelle Rally, but was only about the second one I'd ever had since I bought the truck in 2014. According to my mechanic, there is a design flaw in the 5.0L V8 that causes sludge buildup. Long story short, my check engine light came on two weeks ago Thursday and I took it to my mechanic the next day. Along with the engine light, my transmission wouldn't shift gears on it's own and I had to put it in manual mode to change gears. I also couldn't go over 60 mph as there was no power. I hooked up my IID tool and read the error code. Crankshaft position sensor - this as it turns out, is a generic error when there is a timing issue. My mechanic called me on Friday afternoon and confirmed what he suspected. Sludge buildup in the sprockets. He told me there is a TSB regarding this issue, but that it is not a recall nor covered by Land Rover because it is a "might" happen, but not fatal. My mechanic told me that he's seen four Land Rovers with the same issue... two with over 100k miles, mine and then a Ranger Rover with only 35k.

He also told me that the transmission should be serviced at around 75k miles and the recommendation by the mfg at 120k is bound to have you needing a new transmission. Also, both the owner and the mechanic of the shop we take our rovers to, have both worked for Land Rover, so I believe what they tell me.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure:

LR1.jpgLR4 Engine Rebuild.jpgLR8.jpgLR6.jpgLR7.jpgLR2.jpgLR3.jpgLR9.jpg

A picture of my new sprockets by JLR

LR5.jpg

Hi Erin,

Who and where is your mechanic?   I did a synthetic oil change about 1000 miles ago myself.  I didn't reset the service interval reminder (wasn't aware and didn't know how to).  Transmission oil, transfer case oil were probably changed 10,000 miles ago by previous owner.  Not sure if any maintenance or fluid change is needed in the immediate future.

Thanks.

Transmission oil is not a regular change; the factory says 'never' or maybe now they've changed it to around 100k - either way it's not something you do often.  75K is plenty on that unless there is a reason to suspect an issue.

Transfer case and diffs are also a long interval, but I do mine annually as I tend to play in the water and mud.  They're easy enough, though the fancy e-locker rear oil is spendy.

Hi Erin,

Who and where is your mechanic?   I did a synthetic oil change about 1000 miles ago myself.  I didn't reset the service interval reminder (wasn't aware and didn't know how to).  Transmission oil, transfer case oil were probably changed 10,000 miles ago by previous owner.  Not sure if any maintenance or fluid change is needed in the immediate future.

Thanks.

We go to Exclusive British European in Campbell.  Ask for Nick Segal, he is the owner - he used to be a service adviser at LRSJ.  His wife is having a baby any day now, so if he's not there, you can ask for Juan, the assistant manager.  Oscar, who was the mechanic who worked on my engine was poached from Land Rover San Jose.  Also, tell him Erin sent you... we are working on an NCLR sponsor discount with them.  

I was able to find some maintenance record on my LR4: current miles is about 48,000

46,000 miles, 11/2017: synthetic engine oil change by me

45,000 miles, 08/2017: lower control arm bushing replace

Previous owner:

40,000 miles, 04/2017: engine oil change

36,000 miles, 01/2017: water pump replace

36,000 miles, 12/2016: front diff drain and fill, transfer case drain and fill, rear diff drain and fill

34,000 miles, 11/2016: power steering fluid flush and change

32,000 miles, 09//2016: (45k service) engine oil change, brake fluid change, O2 sensor failure and replaced, fuel injection service, fuel induction service

31,000 miles, 09/2016: synthetic engine oil change

29,000 miles, 08/2016: front lower control arm busing replace

T-case, front and rear diff fluid were changed 12k miles and 18 months ago.  When will I need to do those again?  Anything else I need to take care of soon?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the factory recommendation is (quite long no doubt) for the diffs and t-case, but I'd say 15K is a good number to use.  The LR4 doesn't have as many diff issues as the LR3 did in it's first years but it's an easy afternoon's work.

X2 on frequent oil changes.  Land rovers service interval is too long.  I shoot for 5k.  I know oil is not that cheap and the lr4 oil filter costs a fortune but A timing chain job IS WAY MORE.  Same on the transmission.  A trans service is a very good preventative measure to keep your truck healthy.  I got my LR3 for cheap because the trans failed due to lack of service.   Keeping these trucks in good maintenance is KEY to not having future problems.  

On a side note.  I just did a timing chain and valve timing drives last month due to lack of oil changes.  Now that customer is not happy with his land rover.  His truck is very clean and in good shape. It is just a shame that it got that far.    Clean VS dirty here.  This sludge is not even that bad but the timing guides and cam drivers had failed.  

20171208_113445.jpg

20180103_175649.jpg

On a side note. I just did a timing chain and valve timing drives last month due to lack of oil changes. Now that customer is not happy with his land rover. His truck is very clean and in good shape. It is just a shame that it got that far. Clean VS dirty here. This sludge is not even that bad but the timing guides and cam drivers had failed.

Is that engine from and LR3 or LR4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LR3. LR4's are even more problematic with oil sludge or starvation. I just did not have any handy pics of an LR4 apart clean vs dirty.

if you search above you can see mine. Lol. Just had mine rebuilt due to sludge.... and I do regular maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7000 on engine oil, use syn castrol and throw a BG engine oil cleaner in a few miles before the change or day of and drive around. 

diffs, transfer box are 75,000 mile items

transmission LR says "sealed for life" or 150,000 depending on who you ask

ZF, who actually produces the unit, says filter and pan, fluid change at 75,000 so that is who I would follow. 

Archived