Camping gear, tried and true

Jantiz

I am starting to buy the "must haves" for attending some of our overnight trips. I am seriously looking at the Tentcots" from Kamp-rite. I like them but I have a 19 year old moving back home to go to college here in California and has already expressed a desire to go with us when we go out camping, so I now need room for 3 and 2 toy poodles. I may still buy the single tentcot for me just because I really like the design and I can always use it on solo trips, but I need recomendations on a family tent.

I bought an REI Quarterdome T3 yesterday and I'm returning it today. It's supposed to be 84" long but my head and feet rub on the sides of the tent when I lay down flat ( Im 6'1) and ( yes, I put it together in my livingroom last night for a dry run :D) and I find it hard to see how 3 people are supposed to fit in there. I also had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to connect the leg bone to the thigh bone and then throw this rain cover on top of the whole thing. I guess I need a minimum 4 person tent. Doesn't have to be light because I'm not back packing anywhere, just car camping for me. Then there's two seasons, three seasons and four seasons. Then there's free standing, ultra lights, dear Lord, when did camping get THIS complicated?

I did like the 3 1/2 " self inflating pads from REI. I bought a couple and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. Any sugestions on tent to get? and from where?

I have this one: http://www.epinions.com/review/Coleman_17_8242_x_10_8242_Red_Canyon_Tent/content_218717195908?linkin_id=8003929 at Wally World on sale for $70 or $80, don't remember. It slept 4 little boys on one side, my wife and I (with baby) in the middle and my teenage son on the other side. It was decent and will last us a few years until I decide I want to upgrade.

If money is not an issue, try: http://www.springbar.com/ I have read nothing but good reviews and I hear they are well worth the money.

I own the same tent that stevenmd mentioned. I picked mine up at walmart for $64.99. I have not had a chance to try it out on a camping trip, but I setup the tent in my backyard so the quality is decent for the price. I was also surprised how roomy it is. It also comes with stakes and a mallet. I would recommend getting the spiral stakes in case your setting up on sandy material which is common in my neck of the woods.

Archived