The Spot: Satellite Personal Tracker

LandRonB

My original post re: the Spot about a week or two ago was:

- - - copy

I was thinking of getting the Spot and using my REI dividends and 20% off one time purchase coupon (retails @ REI for $149.99 less discount). Requires $99 annual. However, the reviews I read thus far were mix.

1) Some said it worked as advertise.

2) Others say it's very particular where you mount or how you carry it e.g. won't work if it's inside your backpack or sitting on the car seat. Has to be mounted hortizal and visible to the satalite(s) in order for it to work. Plus it lacks vehicle mounting system!

3) Also I read that it takes the Spot 20 mins to 1.5 hr (feedback varies) to complete uplink; I don't think this is bad or good as a new product - just have to be aware it takes that long for your rescuer to get your msg or location. I am sure in time - this will improve!

3) And that the Spot can auto send msg every 10 mins, but takes time to uplink and the SPOT website can only track 6 sequential markers at a time (meaning the person tracking you will not see the complete path taken; just the last 6 way points sent by the Spot and delayed 20 mins or so).

4) I also read suggestion(s) that the SPOT should allow the user to setup team member logon ID/password, and not have to give out your user logon id/password to SPOT account in order for someone to track you. The person who has your Spot account logon ID/password can change password, and look up profile/personal info! Perhaps not a concern if my wife is checking/tracking me, but others I just to simply be able to track me.

On the other hand, if you are aware of the limitations and can work around it, I read that it works! I'll wait a lil bit longer; my "Spot" is another wheeling buddy or two, and letting someone know where I am going.

- - - End

Update as of March 25, 2008

After talking to a friend who has a SPOT, I was convinced and bought one last Friday eve. For folks like us who wanders e.g. wheeling, hiking beyond the safety of paved road, it's worth it!

Was going to use it on the Mojave in case Chuck/Gary and team missed our meeting point Saturday. Plan was to send a msg using the Spot to my wife's cell with my GPS coordinates, and have her call Gary's Sat phone w/my coordinates; and hopefully be found/meet up. I bowed out of the trip and didn't get to use it! Next time! Will just test it at home (see test below) :)

What's the Spot!

It's a personal satellite tracking device. A personal beacon is pricey in $500+ range (like from the ACR). Hence comes the Spot, a reasonably priced locating device that you can store in your backpack or glovebox and forgotten till it's needed.

Cost?

The Spot priced right @ $160 (avail on their website at this price), makes this survival tool "a must" have more affordable! Even better if you can get it @ a discount. Bought mine @ REI for $149.99 less 20% member special this month discount and paid $99 req annually activation fee.

What can it do?

It's GPS linked to a proprietary satellite system. Since it uses, satellite technology, the Spot works around the world even where regular cell phones don't.

With the Spot, you can:

- Send updates of your GPS location and text up to 100 characters (OK button)

- Alert your contacts if you need help or minor emergencies (HELP button)

- Notify 911 (by pressing the 911 button)

- Let's your friends track you (optional Spotcasting $49.99 annually cost) (I didn't sign up for this option).

Clarification: you can't update or input the text characters/info from the Spot (it's just a messenger); but you can to logon to the Net to your Spot account in preparation before your trip, create you contact list and message or intended message. So it requires planning; not good or bad; just be aware!

Read more about it: http://www.findmespot.com/explorespot/spotmessenger.aspx

- - - My Test

How long it takes to send msg?

I activated my Spot account (it was immediately active after entering my credit card info and pressing the submit button), and then entered my wife's email and cell # as my contact team for this test. Told my wife to agree on a time when to press the "Ok" button on the Spot, track the time (how long it takes to receive the msg from the Spot), and check her phone/email upon receipt. Her phone chimed (when it gets a text msg) - this prompted her to check phone and then email.

Wow! Took only 5 mins to get my GPS coords and msg out and received. Not the 20 mins to 1.5 hr I read. Will do some more testing both in town, on the field and hopefully during the next wheeling trip.

Here's the message from my wife's cell:

"Ron Boston is OK and here's his GPS coordinates:

Latitutde: 38.0087

Longtitude: -122.2703

Time: 3:07pm 3/23/08 (GMT time was converted to local time; nice)

Here's the message to my wife email account:

Ron Boston is ok and here's my GPS coordinates:

ESN:0-7352960

Latitude:38.0087

Longitude:-122.2703

Nearest Location: Sycamore Avenue, Hercules, CA

Distance:not known

Time:03/23/2008 22:07:54 (GMT)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=38.0087,-122.2703&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

(looks like the email server kept the time @ GMT not Pacific Time; just be aware)

The link on the email was helpful; my wife clicked on the Google Map link and was able to tell that I was in the area of one of our favorite eateries: L&L Hawaiian BBQ - see pic 1! She took off, saw my Land Rover and meet up for late lunch w/the kids!

Figured on off-pavements, there will be no familiar streets or buildings for reference; however, the GPS coords are crucial and whatever helpful references appearing on Google Map satellite to rescue someone in needed is key to survival.

I have not tested "Help" or "911" buttons (expected to function same manner).

Pic 2: The Spot; comes with 2 lithium batteries; good to go after activating it online (takes a few mins).

Pic 3: Lack of vehicle mount was one of the bad reviews I read; I fab this thing to mount the Spot on windows, gutter mount, wiper, etc... Works!

Pic 4: The Spot mounted on the window with my special mount

Pic 5: Mounted on the wiper

Pic 6 & 7: Gutter mount

Idea is to stop when lost or emergencies, hang the Spot (wiper, window, gutter...) visible to the satellites, send the msg, and wait for confirmation (solid light on the Spot) and wait for your rescuer!

The other review said limited # waypoints (6) while tracking; well, I didn't sign-up for the Spotcasting so I can't comment; extra $49.99 annual fee for Spotcasting I am not missing! Basic $99/yr service works just fine!

And yes, it doesn't not allow you to create a team user on your account; perhaps in the future; in the meantime, it's just my wife and parents who have access to my Spot account so if I am on the road and need to update my messge or who to send messages to, I can call my trusted wife/parents! No concern about seeing/sharing my personal info at this time.

More testing for sure!

Edit: forgot to mention that I signed up for the $7.95/yr Search and Rescue Benefits (need to add this at the time of new account activation otherwise cost $150.00 after activation). With gov cutbacks, figured this you and your local SARs (Search and Rescue) benefits; it provides up to $100,000 of additional search and rescue resources including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits underwritten by Lloyd's of London.

Darn, what time did you come by!

Sorry I missed your visit; I was going to call, but realize you were "laid up" :) from your surgery and didn't think would be mobile!

I stopped by JHMover's house first (won't post the City or location unless have permission from John) to drop off his recovery gear from Shaver Lake; next was Travis (but he was out and about).

I should have called you and perhaps talked for awhile, and had a cold beer or two.

But actually, I needed to be in/out, fix the yard, and head back to our Easter Egg hunting party! So I didn't bother calling you!

Yes, CT110 is now in Modesto; the D2 is taking up the garage space here in the Bay Area! I have more garage and wiggle room in Modesto for the CT110.

In fact, my wife and I are considering moving to Modesto vs renting it next year (since I want to have a garage w/tools, etc...). My wife and I can telecommute for work, easy commute with elem school across the street for the kids, soon carpool lane on 580 (zip thru traffic on my Prius w/the hybrid sticker) if we need to check-in the office and best part mortgage is 1/3 of my Bay Area home! Just rent our Bay Area home (which seems to be in high demand for renters due to the mortgage crunch and tightening). Will see!

Love the space I have in Modesto!

Archived