interesting day and my feet are killing me.....

ChrisJB

Yesterday I have been visiting a bunch of ghost towns in the area. Today I wanted to hit up a trail called Jumbo Grade which starts in Washoe Valley (between Carson City and Reno) and end in Virginia City. There was a town that used to be up there and I wanted to see if there is anything left like ruins, buildings, foundations, maybe a cemetery to photograph. I made it roughly about halfway and I found the area where the town used to be. I stopped and explored around. There wasn't anything to see so when I got back to my truck, It wouldn't start, would not turn over, nothing....I checked all the fuses, battery and connections and everything seemed fine. The truck wasn't overheating or acting funny before i stopped. So I spent about an hr poking and prodding and I just gave up. I had to decide if I was going to hike back to civilization or recreate my own survivor man episode and start eatin squirrels and make a shelter out of the hood, doors, and fenders, but since the hwy was only 10 miles I decided to hike. Made it to the hwy and had a friend pick me up and who is a mechanic at midas and a avid 4 wheeler to help me figure out what to do. We wouldn't be able to pull the vehicle back to the highway with his rig because it's a steep grade and with my engine not going, I wouldn't have any power brakes, so basically we had to just try and fix it. I bought a new battery, alternator, and battery cables from our local Napa shop. We 4 wheeled back up to my truck and thank god it wasn't riddled with bullet holes and stripped. When I went to start the truck to show him what it was doing....It started up like nothing was wrong! I cursed, kicked rocks, and cursed some more of course because of all the trouble I was put through. Drove the truck off the mountain and to his shop with no issue. He checked the battery, fuse box, electrical system and did not find any issues with it, no shorts, no faulty parts, battery was fine...nothing was wrong..... So needless to say it was an interesting day and we are still scratching our heads....

Tomorrow I am going to 4 wheel up to a Crystal Mine and try to find the petroglyphs on Mt. Peavine and Robb Canyon, and this time not by myself in case I run into anymore issues.

I started to add more pictures in my photo gallery (link in signature) with some pics I have taken in the last 5-6 mo and my adventures in Los Angeles (my hometown) earlier this week and playing out in the desert the past couple of days.

Chris,

Crazy story... I got stuck on problem solving your issue. I think

you have a Disco II correct?

My guess at the moment would be the brake light switch going bad.

Buy one and put it in the glove box just in case. Next time that happens

jump the switch above the brake pedal and see if thats it.

That was one of the advice I got for my D2; get a spare brake light switch. I bought mine from Rovers North (part # RND938) for $9.77. Tony, if you carry it in stock even better, I will get parts from you next time!

You realized one of my biggest fears when going off road alone, the dreaded breakdown with no way to contact help. Glad you made it out and all is OK.

When I go out alone, I do my best to stay reasonably close to some town. Luckily I live in an area where I have a large amount of trails withing 5-15 min from my house so if something does go wrong, I wont be too far out. I used this as a learning experience because you never really know how to handle a situation until you experience it first hand. If this would have happened before I joined the club then I probably would have had no tools, no recovery gear, no survival gear, so this time I was prepared and didn't panic as much as I thought I would have. Trial by fire :)

Chris,

Crazy story... I got stuck on problem solving your issue. I think

you have a Disco II correct?

My guess at the moment would be the brake light switch going bad.

Buy one and put it in the glove box just in case. Next time that happens

jump the switch above the brake pedal and see if thats it.

I do have a DII. You'll be getting a call from me end of next week to order a couple of brake light switches and also do you have in stock or can order a 04 discovery service manual? I am having a really hard time finding one!

Wow, it's good to hear you made it out ok. Not panicking is probably the best thing you can do in a situation like that. Some of your most critical choices are the first ones you make and having a level thought of mind is key.

About the brake switch. I purchased one from Rover Connection and according to them there's an updated switch that requires a wiring harness too.

Chris,

Congratulations on surviving a worst case scenario when out in the wilderness or desolated area.

1) Alone

2) Mechanical failure renduring vehicle useless

3) Communications failure renduring other people useless

Now's the time to start thinking about setting up yourself a "bug out bag"

Bill Burke described this as a backpack filled with emergency rations and stuff to keep one hydrated, fueled, and reasonably protected from the elements when having to endure your very same ordeal.

Chris,

Congratulations on surviving a worst case scenario when out in the wilderness or desolated area.

1) Alone

2) Mechanical failure renduring vehicle useless

3) Communications failure renduring other people useless

Now's the time to start thinking about setting up yourself a "bug out bag"

Bill Burke described this as a backpack filled with emergency rations and stuff to keep one hydrated, fueled, and reasonably protected from the elements when having to endure your very same ordeal.

This is what I picked up off of ebay. Now i always have it with me. It's a backpack filled with first aid, tent, food, water, matches and a whole bunch of other goodies...

So far what I have added is a good multi-tool, knife, compass, maps, magnesium fire starter, hand crank cell phone charger, and a snake bite kit.

I also have a notebook with notes from Les Stroud's website on subjects like navigation, rope typing, and such

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370006441543

I am also considering getting one of these

http://www.findmespot.com/

Those individual GPS locators are a great idea and very affordable. Certainly worth it if you ever get in trouble in the middle of nowhere. Either that or a Sat Phone is certainly recommended. I have a Sat Phone so feel fairly confident I could get help if needed.

I'll probably have both. I'll have a globalstar phone and a gps locater. The gps locater is only $150 a year for service so def worth looking into plus i like the fact if i am out and about and see a new trail or a point of interest i can send a message with the coordinates!

The Les Stroud notebook is a great idea! I love it. My mom and step-father are moving to Arizona in the coming year or two and I'm planning on making both of them emergency kits for cars, horseback riding, and the house. Lots of snake bite kits too because they have a German Shorthair Pointer and an Australian Herding Dog, so there's high risk with those types of dogs.

About the brake switch. I purchased one from Rover Connection and according to them there's an updated switch that requires a wiring harness too.

Now that you mentioned; I looked at the actual part ordered (I ordered RND938) vs what I actual recived from Rovers North.

Rovers North actually sent me part # XK0500120 (switch assy) and part # YMQ503280 (wiring harness); never paid attention till now - I thought both parts made up what I originally ordered.

I am also considering getting one of these

http://www.findmespot.com/

Let us know what else you find out about the Spot; I am considering getting this device in the near future!

I was thinking of using my REI dividends and 20% off one time purchase coupon to get the Spot (retail @ REI for $149.99). Requires $99 annual or $9.95 a month service activiation.

The review I read thus far were mix.

- Some said it worked as advertise.

- Others say it's very particular where you mount or how you carry it e.g. won't work if it's inside your backpack or sitting on the car seat. Has to be mounted hortizal and visible to the satalite(s) in order for it to work.

- Also I read that it takes the Spot 20 mins to 1.5 hr (feedback varies) to complete uplink; I don't think this is bad or good as a new product - just have to be aware it takes that long for your rescuer to get your msg or location. I am sure in time - this will improve!

- And that the Sport can auto send msg every 10 mins, but takes time to uplink and the SPOT website can only track 6 sequential markers at a time (meaning the person tracking you will not see the complete path taken; just the last 6 way points sent by the Spot and delayed 20 mins or so).

- I also read suggestion(s) that the SPOT should allow the user to setup team member logon ID/password, and not have to give out your user logon id/password to SPOT account in order for someone to track you. The person who has your Spot account logon ID/password can change password, and look up profile/personal info! Perhaps not a concern if my wife is checking/tracking me, but others I just to simply be able to track me.

The general sense I got was to wait for this new product to mature; perhaps with ability to setup team logon w/tracking only and not have access to your spot account. And faster uplink and more markers!

On the other hand, if you are aware of the limitations and can work around it, I read that it works! I'll wait a lil bit longer; my "Spot" is another wheeling buddy or two, and letting someone know where I am going.

The spot is the third item on my list to buy. I hope to have it before the Black Rock trip

List

1. Garmin GPSMAP 478 w/topo maps

2. GlobalStar Sat Phone

3. Spot gps device

I have read all the "issues" and researched as you have. One thing really is that there really isnt any devices out there thats 100% full connectivity to the world no matter where you are.

Cell phones only work when your near cell coverage, Sat devices only work if you have a line of site to the satellite itself, 2 way radios only work if your within range of another radio. So how I look at it, is for me at least to have everything so no matter your situation, you might have a decent shot of having at least 1 device work for you.

I have a iPhone, Nextel, laptop, At&t data connect card, and a 2 way radio. Just need the sat devices to add to my collection. Maybe uneccessary for me in reality to have all these devices, but each one adds to my comfort level as I head out to the wilderness.

And they all fill out the go go gadget utility belt so well...

I need the GPS....for the wife when she goes alone, and for us on the trail.

Sat phone? Maybe just hook up the APRS function on my HAM...if I don't come back on time, just look for me on the web....

The Spot thing is cool, but may not work if I am in the bottom of the canyons.....

It so hard to decide which to buy, maybe all is the better route.

Hey Chris,

After talking to a friend of mine who bought the Spot! I went ahead and purchased one!

Works great and was going to use it at the Mojave trip (ended not going).

So with time on my hand, I experimented with it e.g. sending messages using the "OK" and "Help" buttons (not 911), timing how long it takes to receive the messages on my wife's cell and email, and looking up the GPS coords contained in the message or Google Map link via email. Works great! Pretty accurate (within 5-10 ft)!

Will post more details later! Let us know your findings once you get one of these!

The spot is the third item on my list to buy. I hope to have it before the Black Rock trip

List

1. Garmin GPSMAP 478 w/topo maps

2. GlobalStar Sat Phone

3. Spot gps device

I have read all the "issues" and researched as you have. One thing really is that there really isnt any devices out there thats 100% full connectivity to the world no matter where you are.

Cell phones only work when your near cell coverage, Sat devices only work if you have a line of site to the satellite itself, 2 way radios only work if your within range of another radio. So how I look at it, is for me at least to have everything so no matter your situation, you might have a decent shot of having at least 1 device work for you.

I have a iPhone, Nextel, laptop, At&t data connect card, and a 2 way radio. Just need the sat devices to add to my collection. Maybe uneccessary for me in reality to have all these devices, but each one adds to my comfort level as I head out to the wilderness.

Archived