Operation Christmas Child

erinw.rrc

In December 2013, a subset of NCLR, Rover’s Relief, raised funds to help the Land Rover Club of the Philippines deliver aid and supplies to communities affected by Typhoon Haiyan.

In March 2014, NCLR partnered with Baja Land Rover Club and delivered school supplies, clothes, reading glasses and other household items to a small village in San Francisco de la Sierra, helping families who made little money and the closest towns are several miles away on dirt roads.

In December 2015, my family donated money to a local animal shelter in Checker's name that holds a special place in my heart.

I’d like to continue the trend of helping families in need both within our borders and outside.  In spirit of the holiday season, I am participating in Operation Christmas Child (www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child), a program operated by Samaritan’s Purse, a Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine.

I invite you to contribute to this program (there are local drop off locations in many of the areas of Northern California this week between November 14 and 21) or any other organization that may have meaning to you.  I will be making a drop off on Sunday evening, so if you would like me to deliver your care package the same day and you are in the Bay Area, let me know.

While this note is a personal invitation, the Board has in the past discussed the possibility of NCLR sponsoring a drive of some kind during the holidays in the future.  We are always accepting of suggestions and feedback.

If you what to help but are unsure of where to look here are few suggestions in Northern California.  There are so many other organizations out there around the world, Google is a great way to find what fits for you.

Sacramento Blue Star Moms (www.sacramentobluestarmoms.org), Rocklin, CA mail CARE packages to deployed Service Members approximately four times per year.  Many of the deployed Service Members are on the front line, so the box is filled with individual sized items because they can only use what they can carry in their backpack.

Bay Area Blue Star Mom (www.bluestarmoms.org) Danville, CA, donates care packages to our military overseas, not just during the holidays, but all year round and is currently accepting individually wrapped items including snack and toiletries.

The United States War Dog Association (http://chapter1.uswardogs.org/index.html) Western Chapter, Pinole, CA donates care packages to both the K9’s and their handlers serving overseas.  They have an Amazon wish list as they prefer you not bring your own items due to issues with spoiled and used items in the past.

Family Giving Tree (www.familygivingtree.org), Milpitas, CA fulfills the exact holiday wishes and provides backpacks filled with school supplies to those children in the most need in our communities while inspiring the values of kindness, philanthropy and volunteerism.

I hope your holidays are full of love, laughter and life! (and safe travels!)

Best,

Erin

Don't forget the Oregon trip in 2015(?) we brought donations to the town of Weed to help in their efforts to rebuild after the fires up there.

That's right!  I knew we had something in 2015, but I couldn't remember what it was.  We brought tools, gift cards, and other items to help residents who needed to rebuild after the fire.

It would great to put something together for 2016 (if we still have time) and plan for 2017.

Let me know what Operations Christmas Child needs the most e.g. new toys, clothes; or would a gift card or check be better.  Let me know. 

Are you making another drop off this Sunday, or suggest the nearest drop-off in the Hercules area?

Great job Erin in keeping the spirit of giving both inside, and outside our borders!

Let me know what Operations Christmas Child needs the most e.g. new toys, clothes; or would a gift card or check be better.  Let me know. 

Are you making another drop off this Sunday, or suggest the nearest drop-off in the Hercules area?

Great job Erin in keeping the spirit of giving both inside, and outside our borders!

Hey Ron!  I will actually be dropping off tomorrow after work at a local church.  Their drop of hours are until 7 pm.  

If you'd like to help, I'm sure there are drop off locations near you.  You can visit https://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/ to learn more about what is needed and how to create a shoebox.  There is also a link for drop off locations, all you need to do is put in your zip code.  

Thank you for your continued support and generosity.

-Erin

Archived