Series I or Series II ?

Jantiz

I have a couple of friends at work doing some VERY serious consideration on purchasing their first Land Rover and joining the club. They are looking at Discos and I am Disco stupid since I've never owned one and I'm kinda new to the brand myself. What is the actual difference between the Series I and the II ? Any advice either way? At least one of them is definitely planing on serious mods and off road. As usual, your experience and expertise is apreciated.

I think main thing comes down to age -- you'll have a harder time finding a low mileage D1 than a D2. And with the D2 -- you gotta remember to look for that pesky CDL that some models didn't have starting in 2000/2001 or thereabouts until it came back in 2004..

I never really wheeled my D1 (other than stock) but I've heard it's easier to work on a D1 than a D2 for some field repairs such as broken axles, etc.. Plus I think the electronics on the D2 are more complex -- but I've also heard not as screwy since they aren't Lucas..There are mods to the D2 (such as replacing the airbag with springs) that might be more expensive -- but if you are gonna lift it anyway sometime maybe it ends up being a push.

You should have your friend swing by Cerrones some time -- they have loaners that are D1s and D2's -- and ask the real expert there. And before he buys -- I'd really reccomend having him have Frank check the rig out before the purchase. He knows the peculiarities of the various models.

I'm sure other members will weigh in...

First some similarities. The Discovery was introduced to the US in 1994 and phased out in 2004. All have 8 cylinder petrol engines using the essentially the same aluminum block. Engine displacement began at 3.9 L and ended up at 4.6 L with most of the years (96 - 02) having a 4.0 L engine. Likewise engine control, spark generation, fuel injection control and emissions equipment evolved over the years. All models have a two speed transfer case providing a high range for highway and street driving and a low range for off-road conditions. All models have full time four wheel drive with a center differential and open differentials on the live front and rear axles. All have four wheel disk brakes with some level of anti-lock braking system.

Discovery Series I - 1994 to mid-year 1999. All DIs have the ability to lock the center differential thus splitting engine power 50/50 between the front and rear axles. This is usually refered to as the CDL. A manual 5 speed transmission was available in '94, '95 and a few '96 models. All years had a 4 speed automatic transmission available. 94 and 95 models have a coil/distributer ignition system while later years have coil packs.

Discovery Series II - 1999 to 2004. For the DII the biggest change is the amount of electronics integrated into the vehicle. A combined 4 wheel ABS, 4 wheel electronic traction control (ETC) and hill descent control (HDC) was added. As a result the CDL was removed from the DII until it was reintroduced with the 2004 model. It turns out, however, the transfer cases for the 1999, 2000 and early 2001 models retained the CDL. It just wasn't hooked up. There are several techniques for restoring the CDL capability to these early DIIs. Engine management was switched to a Bosch system, a vast improvement over the DI Lucas system according to many. Other differences include an electronically controlled automatic transmission, larger rear storage space and a resulting lower departure angle. Most models had a a self leveling suspension (SLS) using an air bag in the rear. Some models retained coils all around, however.

OK, so I've kinda rambled. I also left out a lot of details (many of which I wasn't too sure about). Hope this helps. :)

If price is not a limiting issue, my preference would be an '04 DII that has the 4.6L and CDL from the factory. Second choice would be an '00-'01 with the CDL nipple and 4.0L. If cost is an issue than look for any 95-97 in good condition and well maintained.

Go and look at a bunch and figure out what you like. Then when you find one take it to Cerrone's for an inspection before buying.

It's much wider and if you are an avid of-roader that does make a difference and I drove a II in moab several years ago, finding myself unable to control the vehicles traction. I didn't have time or information on how to disable it.

I find the simplicity of my DI an excellent, capable and fun machine. Abet mine is modified for what ever comes along. But it is not the comfortable road machine the DII or that new thing trying to make its way in to the "FORD" family

Roy Mills

Archived