Usal Beach Camp - random find

GuamPilot

Tuesday, Carrie and I started off on one of our random explorations. "Where do you want to go?" "I don't know, where do you want to go?"

Tuesday night was a bed & breakfast. Wednesday night was a Hipcamp.

During our Thursday morning 'planning' session. How do you pronounce Sinkyone? Where is the campground and is there room?

Made a phone call, ranger said no reservations, never fills up. Off we go.

It would have helped to read the NCLR reports about past trips to Usal (just finished the November 2015 report.)

Fortunately, my Garmin was spot on finding the intersection of Highway 1 and Usal Road. We were driving north, from Fort Bragg.

Drove in Thursday afternoon, drove out the same way Saturday morning.

A great place if you are prepared. I guess it's been dry, we had no puddles on the road. Someday, we want to take the road north all the way, either by ourselves, or with a NCLR group.

Our 1986 ex MoD 90 2.5NA diesel soft top had no problems. But that may be because we turned around as soon as the sand got really soft and deep.

Mike & Carrie

post-960-0-91528000-1472361415_thumb.jpeg

post-960-0-23834500-1472361456_thumb.jpeg

post-960-0-76585700-1472361502_thumb.jpeg

It's always a great trip when your Rover gets home under it's own power!

We took California Highway 1 all the way north from SFO (our first time.) In the near future we will take the costal highway all the way to Alaska. And south to Mexico.

The Sinkyone Wilderness State Park is stunning! We plan to do a lot of exploring there.

I didn't mention, Carrie ALWAYS makes gourmet meals, at home and on the trail. She takes it on in camp as a special challenge.

Mike & Carrie

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip

Archived