Engaging CDL without linkage

Disco2Guy

I have an early '01 D2 with the CDL nipple, but without any linkage to engage it. I'd like to get the manual lever Tony has, but that's not going to happen by Saturday. Is it possible to engage it after driving to Hollister and not burn my hand or arm in the process?

I would suggest going without CDL for comparison purposes and to see how far you can push until losing traction in a cross axle situation, and yes I've seen it done before, but I don't know exactly what size spanner or where to turn the nipple. If you must, you will need a small tarp to stay clean and a glove. I would suggest getting a pair of heavy duty gloves. You will need them for other things down the road, i.e., handling winch line, moving fallen branches or trees, etc.

The nipple is 10mm and only requires a 1/4 turn to engage, but which direction I'm not sure. Probably the only way it will turn!! Your point about testing how far I can go without it, like not waiting for my lift, is good too. I have some gloves and a large tarp already. The thread about what to take with you off road has been very helpful. I've purchased a lot of items on that list so far. My recovery strap, tire patch kit, and tool rolls will be delivered tomorrow.

10mm is the right size, and it will only turn one way. It's easy, that's what I did at the hollister event in october. Do it once and after that you could do it blindfolded....

Also remember if the CDL is engaged before you turn the vehicle on it will disable the traction control and ABS, and vice versa, cdl engaged after the vehicle is running will leave the ABS/TC enabled. I chose to disengage the ABS/TC, but you will figure out what you prefer.

Steve

I have fallen into the habit of automatically engaging CDL when I head out onto the trails. I never really use 4 low without it.

That said, Wills idea of starting without it, getting comfortable with how it works "stock" followed by then putting it on probably makes most sense. Biggest thing to remember is to get it out of CDL before hitting dry pavement in high, otherwise you'll start skipping around corners like those old Laurel and Hardy chase scenes in the Model T's with no Diff... (or actually, maybe not... guess that would only happen if you were fully locked...)

Archived