Question regarding GPS receivers

ChrisJB

Okay I am in the market for a good gps unit. What I have now is a Dell Axim PDA attached to a garmin bluetooth gps receiver and it's great for road navigation but obviously it doesn't work when I decide to go off road. So I did some research and found the Garmin GPSMAP 278C. The pricetag is a bit high as I am looking at roughly $500 for the unit plus another $275 for the automobile kit/maps. Just inquiring with the group to see what kind of gps you guys use. I dont mind really spending the money, but just want to make sure it has the features I need.

Garmin GPSMAP 278C

I've heard good things about Garmin, not sure about Tom Tom

Personally I use Delorme Topo 5 on a Panasonic CF-29 ToughBook. Any laptop will suffice.... laptop gives more options than a Garmin type unit, ie broadband internet, LARGER SCREEN, photo editing, email, etc.

laptop mount is a must have item....

one on ebay looks functional, not sure about retention capability.

Mine is a DIY mount using various galvanized pipe flanges and fittings except for docking station that securely holds my laptop. Survived the famous "Rover Flying Circus Weekend at Pismo"

I've been wanting a GPSMAP 276C for some time. Looks like you have found a good price. IMHO it is one of the best for all around on-road and off-road use. You can even put it in your boat and navigate the Bay!

I have a Garmin GPS V and I'm generally happy with it. It does Topo maps and navigates. Its limitations are small mono-chrome screen, limited storage and a slow serial interface.

I'm impressed with the brightness of the screens on the newer Garmin nuvi series. They use a touch screen interface rather than buttons and are mostly for street/road navigation. Their website says they are compatible with the Garmin Topo maps but I haven't confirmed it.

Advantages of the 276C over nuvi are better screen resolution and the ability to add an external antenna. I found with my GPS V that satellite access from the dash with just the nub antenna wasn't too good. Among trees or tall buildings it would often lose signal to the point that navigation stopped. Putting an external antenna on the roof of the truck helped that problem.

My $0.02

I have a 276C, it is good unit and can have both Streets and Topo maps. I also use a CarPC with various Topo software and that is the best setup if you can do it. There is one advantage to a dedicated GPS as it is not going to crash on you like Windows on a PC/Laptop can.

I'm trying to find a non-dashboard mounted GPS solution. I had my driver's window smashed (in my garage!!:mad:) a few weeks ago, and I'm hesitant to stick another up there. They got my iPod and GPS out of RoverFlo, and my mountain bike that I had chained up to the wall. I don't want to dismount the entire thing, cradles and all, and put it in an unlocked center console or glove box.

What would be ideal is a carPC under the passenger seat hooked up to a touch screen where the stereo is now. Of course I don't have the funds or skills to perform such an install. The thought of broadband, iTunes and a GPS while driving is soooo tempting though.

I had a Magellan Maestro 4040(?) that was good for street driving, but I don't know how it would handle off road trails. When I was in Hawaii with it over Christmas it froze a couple of times while driving even though it looked like it was tracking a few satellites.

Howdie,

I know you don't want another dask mounted pcs, but I had good success with the Magellan Crossover; even used it in Hawaii last fall, and it worked well.

Will be traveling to the Big Island in 3 weeks and bringing it with me.

Cheers!

I just built and installed a car pc for on my my friends Porsche Cheyenne. The parts have come along way and are getting a bit cheaper.

This is a site where I got the components

Mini-box.com

I have the PC under the passenger seat running to his alpine deck w/ 7" touchscreen, bluetooth presenter mouse and keyboard, High gain wifi antenna, and a AT&T data card for when wi-fi is not available.

Not too hard to install. I thought it was easier to install then a amp.

I have been thinking about building something like that for my Disco, but the audio system to accommodate a PC can be expensive if you want the clean integrated install

I looked through my notes and miss quoted myself. The mouse is a standard RF mouse and for the mouse I use the Logitech - MX Air Wireless Laser Mouse Which is a great mouse because you can control the pointer while holding the mouse in the air. and for the keyboard I used diNovo Mini which is really small and compact, but may not be good people people with "larger" fingers. Not a big deal for us youngins as we are used to texting on cell phone and mini QWERTY keyboards :)

I have a rf and a bluetooth dongle connected via usb

That would be cool, I have been looking for something like that for a while now. I also like that air mouse, but will hold out for the deNovo to be released first.

The last thing I upgraded on the CarPC was from a 7" to 9" monitor and boy was it a big improvement in readability.

Ok you guys.......I have decided to hold off on a GPS and just drive till I get lost, then turn around and come back. I have a pretty good sense of direction and a compass goes a long way....

I wanted one to hook up to my HAM, then I was just going to go simple, then I decided I wanted all the bells and whistles and was about to buy something...but 5 min passed and all the technology was old.

I got frustrated and went to the cell phone store. Same thing.

I went to Hooters. That technology only gets better...

Archived