Laurel Lakes

I was just doing some web-wheeling and looked up the EveryTrail page for Laurel Lakes when I came accross this little nugget:

Tips: We drove trail on 4th of July weekend and ran into a large Land Rover Club. Things got very congested when we were forced to stop at snow drifts before reaching the lake. It took quite a while for everyone to turn around. The trail shouldn’t take more than an hour to reach the lake under less-crowded conditions.

Hmmmm....now who could that be, and do they have any pictures?

Tips: We drove trail on 4th of July weekend and ran into a large Land Rover Club. Things got very congested when we were forced to stop at snow drifts before reaching the lake.

Snow drifts in July?  Maybe a Land Rover club was the least of their concerns...

I just meant to post re this. I organized two years ago a trip to Eastern Sierras which included a trip to Laurel Lakes. Two days ago when browsing expo portal I saw that last weekend there was a fatal rollover at the last switchback before the lake. It is a bit of a tough spot and you need a spotter to make sure that the turn is executed safely. There is no issues with articulation etc but solely with the space and the fact that you are on the side of a mountain. Just for all of us to remember - safety first and even something that looks easy/moderate may require a bit of thought in executing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - it took me 3 turns to do it as it is really narrow... The best is to have two spotters one below (of course safely) and one above the car as you need to constantly watch both front (so that you don't roll) and back (so that you don't hit sharp rocks). Nothing impossible or really hard but a bit treacherous as the side of the mountain is gravel and thus there is nothing to stop you if your wheels leave the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived