Last weekend I went to Pedram's to get some work done to the rear cargo storage. The old setup was ok, but I wanted to get a better use of the space. There was the Tuffy box, MDF wooden deck (poor choice of material) and ARB 50 qt. fridge. The Tuffy box has been in the truck for 7 years and has never been a problem, I just wanted to try something new.

The rear was gutted of all the trim and carpet. There are a couple mounts for the 3rd row seats that are spot welded to the floor. They were more of a pita to remove than anticipated but some drilling and hammering got them removed. Pedram went on to make a slide for the ARB which was bolted to the floor. In anticipation of a new layout months ago, I bought some tracks from Mac's Custom Tie Downs. These were going to replace the 4 eyes that were screwed into the MDF top. The spacing of them didn't always suite my needs, and when the ARB was added, it left the 2 hooks on the driver's side pretty much useless.

Getting the ARB on the floor with the slide makes it much easier to remove the CO2 tank. Before the ARB had to be removed to open the strap that holds the tank. A strip of the Mac's Tie Down was placed on the angle iron next the fridge and the other in line with the passenger footwell. This is temporary until I figure out what I want to do with this space. It will at least get a piece of marine plywood covered in outdoor carpet to make it easier to slide Pelican cases in and out. The D2 floor is ribbed in different directions, not straight like a D1 or RRC. I might get a drawer installed, but I'd also like to keep the fuel pump cover easier to get to.

The dog guard will be rebuilt, and sit closer to the rear seats. Rear seat belts have been removed, but may go back in, or at least carried in the truck if needed in an emergency. The cargo windows are going to be caged from the inside. This is to prevent them from getting hit by an Oz Tent cot or, more importantly, someone trying to break into the truck.

Here are some pics from the install. The last one shows the camping Pelican cases in the rear. The 1650 (green) could only fit on the roof after the ARB was purchased. It's nice to have the option of keeping all that weight down low, both for the truck's performance, and my back. It usually stays home, so there's going to be lots of room going forward. I just need to figure out what to use for spare parts storage and fluids.

post-472-0-69721000-1431989456_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-83479700-1431989465_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-13818000-1431989475_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-62538600-1431989475_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-68107400-1431989483_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-14424200-1431989492_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-22505300-1431989509_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-66098500-1431989517_thumb.jpg

post-472-0-74660000-1431989523_thumb.jpg

The last few inches going back get tighter and you have to give it a good push. There's also enough room to drill a hole in front of the slide and install a cotter pin, or something similar. I'll get some close up pics tomorrow of the slide and mounts. The trial run went well today.

The last few inches going back get tighter and you have to give it a good push. There's also enough room to drill a hole in front of the slide and install a cotter pin, or something similar. I'll get some close up pics tomorrow of the slide and mounts. The trial run went well today.

Cotter pins would be good. I got stuck on a steep incline in the mud and when Erin opened the back of my truck to get recovery gear, it kind of threw up on her and down the hill. The thing is all my stuff is secured down, just never had it checked at that angle. Now I'm rethinking the entire back to avoid this happening again.

Archived