Wrenching day @ British Recyclers, 5-30

That good Don, you could finish off both sides. Sorry I could not stay long yesterday. Hope alignment goes good and all the errors sorted out.

Thanks Justin for hosting us. Thanks everyone who showed up yesterday, it was a good turnout. Lots off things done on all the trucks getting ready for Oregon. I learned lot of new things, fixed my control arms. Truck runs better and i don't hear that creaking noise anymore, need to get the alignment done this week. Thank you all for helping me out over there. See you all soon again at the next meet. Haven fun until then.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anudeep, great to hear it took care of the creaking noise.  I just wish mine had gone as fast as yours!

FWIW, my lower bushings were in good shape as expected since they were only about 18 months old.  The uppers however were in pretty rough shape with serious tearing showing in some of them.  I suspect they were original to the truck, so about 120K.  I also did the sway bar bushings while I was at it.  Too early to say exactly how much difference it will make as my alignment is a bit wonky at the moment, but it does seem to impart a bit more 'feel' in the steering wheel with the poly bushes.  That's also why I recommended staying with the stock rubber bushings for daily driver rigs.  The polys are just a tad harsher feeling, though they also should hold up to abuse a bit better.

Anyone happen to leave with an extra set of Vise-Grips? I didn't see mine in the tool roll this morning.

I don't _think_ so, but I'll check the tool bag(s) when I get back home and if I have anything extra I'll bring it to the MORG.

I did have a 19mm 3/8" socket go walk-about though.  A small loss; not a big worry.

Vise-Grips found. They are at Colin's shop, and I'll get them at the BBQ. I did leave a black handled Craftsman screwdriver near my tan Pelican case. It wasn't mine, just want to be sure it made its way home.

Well from yesterday talking with that new guy with the LR3..... Name forgotten already...... He's planning to become a member soon and..... And convert to coils. First one that I know of. And he's willing to try it. Curious how that goes.

His name is Luke.

so after i got home i realized that being in the sun earlier at Brooklyn's birthday party and then pulling the bumper off under the sun must have messed with my brain (the hangover didn't help either).  i went home and the next day got it on without any problem. i was originally thinking the bolts were wrong but i wasn't reading the picture correctly on my phone.  so they did still short me a sensor bracket but i can get to it after the bumper is on.  so anyways, all done.  yay!

btw Erin ignore the wiring info.  its somewhat wrong but not hard to figure out.

post-781-0-93687500-1433197386_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-97629100-1433197393_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nick.  I will remember that.  I haven't opened the box yet to check on the bracket if it's in my box, I will try to remember to check when I get home. 

Anyone happen to leave with an extra set of Vise-Grips? I didn't see mine in the tool roll this morning.

I believe I have it, I'll ontrac it to your work :)

Vise-Grips found. They are at Colin's shop, and I'll get them at the BBQ. I did leave a black handled Craftsman screwdriver near my tan Pelican case. It wasn't mine, just want to be sure it made its way home.

Good to hear.  The black handled Craftsman Pro screwdriver was probable one of mine as I have a few of those.  I don't think anything is missing though so it must have made it's way home, unlike Mr. Socket above.

(btw, that's Mr. Socket's brother, my Mr. Socket is a 6 pt)

Guest Pedram
I didn't borrow any 19's but the 24mms. Sorry for his brother. Maybe he wanted to drive your cowboy nuts off.

I believe I have it, I'll ontrac it to your work :)

Hmm, those may not be mine. Can you send a pic first? I did leave two other things. One is Quake's red water bowl. It was either by the sink under the steps, or around the table Michele was sitting at (near Don's truck on Saturday). The other one, I apologize for in advance. There's a blue poopy bag right at the edge of the gate (the entrance for the day). My intention was to have it there so I would see it when I left, but traffic drove the truck to the other side of the building and didn't see it when I left. Sorry! We'll call it even for the license plate frame :P

Hey Don you still have my torque wrench right?

What?  I thought you took that with you?

No, I still have it.  If you're coming to the MORG I'll bring it with me, otherwise I'll run up to Sac sometime this weekend and drop it off.

What? I thought you took that with you?

No, I still have it. If you're coming to the MORG I'll bring it with me, otherwise I'll run up to Sac sometime this weekend and drop it off.

No rush. Planning on the morg. If something comes up and i dont make it i will ge it at the next Thursday evening excursion. I dont use that one very often.

Hope everyone found their missing tools. Thanks all  Don, Nick, Brenton and Justin for lending their tools.

Brenton,

Hope you found the missing socket.

Did your suspension noise go away?

FWIW, my lower bushings were in good shape as expected since they were only about 18 months old.  The uppers however were in pretty rough shape with serious tearing showing in some of them.  I suspect they were original to the truck, so about 120K.  I also did the sway bar bushings while I was at it.  Too early to say exactly how much difference it will make as my alignment is a bit wonky at the moment, but it does seem to impart a bit more 'feel' in the steering wheel with the poly bushes.  That's also why I recommended staying with the stock rubber bushings for daily driver rigs.  The polys are just a tad harsher feeling, though they also should hold up to abuse a bit better.

Don, Glad you got the job finished - Sorry I could not come back Sunday to help as I had commited to a hike months earlier; your rig looked a little crestfallen when we left it on the lift with bits hanging off which made it harder to bail out on you.

The hike Sunday was good, we found a B17-C that crashed in 1940.

post-635-0-26315500-1433694768_thumb.jpg

Don, Glad you got the job finished - Sorry I could not come back Sunday to help as I had commited to a hike months earlier; your rig looked a little crestfallen when we left it on the lift with bits hanging off which made it harder to bail out on you.

The hike Sunday was good, we found a B17-C that crashed in 1940.

Wow - I knew there were several crashed planes 'out there' somewhere in the park, but had no idea there was that much of left.  Very cool.  Off to Google to do some research (don't remember a B17, but my memory is pretty bad)

Rob, you're sure this was in Yosemite?  The only reference I can find to a downed B17C is actually closer to the Rubicon, off Ice House Rd.  These pics are almost 10 years old but the wind shot looks a lot like yours.  He also has maps showing the area.

http://www.mishalov.com/b-17.1july06/

You know, just today Michele said we need to get out and do some hiking as it's been a while.  Buying the Rover was supposed to spur us to more hiking, instead it's been more driving.  Funny how that worked out.  Almost like I planned it.

I see you didn't actually say Yosemite, I must have that in my mind from the wrenching day for some reason. 

Archived