McGrew Trail (Southern Oregon)

Anyone ever done this trail? Is it part of the annual Oregon trip?

It looks like Death Valley is out for us this April -- instead we are going to be heading up to Klamath Falls for a college visit at Oregon Tech. Thinking about a bit of offroading/camping -- this seems to be a interesting trail from what I am seeing on the web anyway. Want to get out and see what the country is like around thataway. Of course, there is always Lava Beds and Captain Jack's stronghold...

Anyone ever done this trail? Is it part of the annual Oregon trip?

It looks like Death Valley is out for us this April -- instead we are going to be heading up to Klamath Falls for a college visit at Oregon Tech. Thinking about a bit of offroading/camping -- this seems to be a interesting trail from what I am seeing on the web anyway. Want to get out and see what the country is like around thataway. Of course, there is always Lava Beds and Captain Jack's stronghold...

I had to look it up on a map; I've never been (but the pics look awesome) and no, it is quite a bit west of where this years' Oregon Discovery Trail is. When coming up I-5, the June group will be heading up I-97 when we get to Weed... McGrew looks like it's best reached from Hwy. 101...

-Jared

Added it to the calendar --

McGrew Trail (Southern Oregon) April 4th-5th

-Jared

Might want to take it off. After further research, looks like it is closed (at least the good part) during "Wet Season". And 'Wet Season" includes April in Oregon, apparently.

Now we are looking at something called Prospect Trail near Crater Lake.

Might want to take it off. After further research, looks like it is closed (at least the good part) during "Wet Season". And 'Wet Season" includes April in Oregon, apparently.

Now we are looking at something called Prospect Trail near Crater Lake.

Hi Chuck; I pulled it from the calendar -- if you firm up something for Prospect Trail I'll repost.

Makes sense. Here is the new plan. Anyone who wants to join up and meet is welcome, but I suspect it is a bit late to plan out where to rally up. But the invite is there if you want to join:

1. We are leaving early Friday morning and heading up to Christmas Valley, Oregon. There are some Sand Dunes, a place called "Crack in the Ground", a fossilized lake bed, and some offroad trails there. We are going to do a remote camp (means no water, no showers, no pit toilet) somewhere in the area for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). We will have 2 rigs with us (both Discovery II's) that are lifted, modded, etc. and will be monitoring 146.460. Not planning on anything too extreme, doesn't seem as if there is much. But it is a desert, and quite remote. Total drive time from Bay area is 10 - 12 hours. Seems like most of the other trails we were researching are too high up (still snow) or closed due to Wet Season (Mcgrew was).

2. Saturday will be the day of exploration. Trails and sites to be determined. But a 2 mile hike in Crack in the Ground will be part of the day.

3. We will pack up Sunday, and plan on attending Easter Services at 3:30 pm in Christmas Valley. Then we are headed to Klamath Falls on Monday night. After touring Oregon Tech that day, we will be headed back down towards the Bay Area. Plan is to overnite en-route someplace -- and then stop by Kelseyville to drop off one of the Rovers on Tuesday around noon -- then head back to the Bay area by Tuesday night.

Let us know if anyone wants to meet up (Rupert or you extremely northerly  Norcaller's) -- or if you have explored this area before, give us some tips. Doing some on-line research, trip planning, etc...  but not sure if we are headed into a "these Hills have Eyes" type of scenario...

We explored Crack in the Ground and the Dunes, and stopped in Christmas Valley for supplies on the second Oregon expedition back in '08 or thereabouts. Great area, one of my favorite parts of the trip. Wish I could make it...

Archived