Arnold, CA Area Trip - April 17-19

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted, but want to hold off on trips until I get the head gaskets/oil leak/Watts bushings/plugs & wires taken care of.

Well, looking at the calendar, this trip is the weekend after I'm supposed to be at Dan's working on the truck. BUT, the weekend of the trip has been booked with a friend (another camping trip) since Dec.

It looks like the oil leak is from the valve cover gaskets. In the process of doing the head gaskets we should be able to take care of everything when it goes back together (including ARP studs). Well, minus the Watts of course. I'll be doing that while Dan is neck deep up front.

Trip sounds great, but unfortunately we'll be out of the country. I wouldn't say the trail is do-able in a stock RRC without getting body damage. There are a couple of spots that could be fairly tricky, but it's a fun trail and can be run both ways. I've done it in my 2010 and a couple of times in my '95.

Sorry about the large photos, couldn't figure out how to make them smaller.

drop.jpg

wall.jpg

Very Tricksy....I noticed those trees in the first pic are growing at a peculiar angle.

Come on guys.....I'm going to at least need a good spotter to keep me from doing something stupid.  Or to pull me out after I do it anyway.

Come on guys.....I'm going to at least need a good spotter to keep me from doing something stupid.  Or to pull me out after I do it anyway.

What are you complaining on about then?  I just looked at the manifest in the calendar and there are 5 trucks going... do you need an entire fleet?  :rolleyes:

-Jared

You've seen me drive, right?

Actually, I need to take a look at the sign-up section.  I thought we had Nick and Chad, but both were likely to not run the trail since Nick has a nice new truck he'd rather not bash on and Chad is still stock.  Sounds like more people are coming, so it's all good!

Ill take the lr4 but I really can't get any body damage. So either ill need help, guidance, or a sissy way around some of the obstacles. With iidtool maxed out plus off-road mode can I make it?

I'd say you'd want sliders at a minimum.  Otherwise the chance for body damage would be too high for my comfort level.  I can't recall if you have them already or not?

You can see the Land Cruiser 100 doing the stairs in one of the videos I posted.  That would be a similar truck to you in terms of performance.  I think he's on 33's, so a little more tire.  He has a stock rear locker/open front, so the same as you or probably actually not quite as good as the LR4 TC is at the top of it's class.  He has some lift (2.5"?) so similar to what you'll be running there as well.  He also has sliders, and you can hear him use them a little and very nearly bounce into one hard around the 2:30 mark.  He didn't hit it, but only just.  Without a slider a hit that hard would certainly have left a dent.

You'll be sitting higher than Michal....he's got so much stuff on his truck I'm amazed it's not a low rider!

(j/k)

We'll have 3 trucks with winches (me, Jared/RedRover, and Michal) so I have no doubt we can drag everybody through.  I just want to make sure we don't put anybody into more risk than they're comfortable with.   Although this isn't the Rubicon, it's not going to be a total cake-walk either given our vehicles.

Hey Jared, got those sliders ordered yet?

Well...tactical still make the best lr4 sliders?

I would say so.  If I were buying another set, I'd go with them again.  I haven't seen anything that offers better protection, and they're a pretty easy install as well.

Hey Jared, got those sliders ordered yet?

To be honest, I haven't!  I need to get moving on this or I may have to watch you all continue on while I go no further...  :wacko:

-Jared

Archived