February 7th : Frank Raines OHV Park

Hi all;

February 2015 MORG is officially canceled due to OHV closure (rained out) -- this thread is to help coordinate members that still want to get together for an off-road trip this weekend to Frank Raines OHV Park near Patterson.

Attendee List:

Don H.

• Anudeep Y.

• Erin W.

• Alyson H.

• David W.

• Pedram B. (maybe)

[Calendar Entry]

-Jared

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you're quick on the draw (post?)

I'll have an empty seat since Michele is out of town in case anybody wants a ride. Yes, this means you Pedram, assuming you're not on baby-duty tomorrow. :)

I am out as well. Same as Dan, the drive for a day trip would be much longer than the trip itself. I am up for going to Cow Mountain before June, it will be hot and dusty by then. Let's just not do it too close to Medno XXI.

Erin recommended that we just push South Cow Mountain out from this month to next -- any concerns with that?

-Jared

Erin recommended that we just push South Cow Mountain out from this month to next -- any concerns with that?

-Jared

Fine by me.

I won't be camping in March as I have to catch a plane the day after the MORG, but I can do a day trip up there.

Jared:

I am chickening out of the Frank Raines MORG tomorrow. At best it will be muddy and slick on the steep hills. Where I come from there is not so far to slide. Some web comments say the park might close anyway if wet enough. So, those are my gutless excuses.

-Florida John

Jared:

I am chickening out of Frank Raines tomorrow. At best it will be muddy and slick on the steep hills. Where I come from there is not so far to slide. Some web comments say the park might close anyway if wet enough. So, those are my gutless excuses.

-Florida John

No worries John. I was out at Frank Raines during a light rain (and after it got dumped on the day prior) and most of the park was okay. The main fire road up to some of the obstacles and mud pit was thrashed; too many of those recreational buzzy vehicles had ripped it up, making it very precarious to crawl (and slide) back down.

-Jared

Jared:

I am chickening out of the Frank Raines MORG tomorrow. At best it will be muddy and slick on the steep hills. Where I come from there is not so far to slide. Some web comments say the park might close anyway if wet enough. So, those are my gutless excuses.

-Florida John

"Discretion is the better part if valor "... or gutless as the case may be. ;)

So how is the MORG canceled if some of us are still going but to a different location? Did we have an official MORG leader that needs to be there to make it an official MORG??? Just curious.

Hi Alyson; I manage the monthly MORGs. Unlike a regular club (members-only) get-together like Shaver Lake, White Rock, etc., MORGs are open to members *and* non-members. Non-members find out about these events through social media and if we don't officially cancel, we run the risk of having a newbie end up at SCM with no one to meet them.

Could I have called it a 'reschedule' to Frank Raines? Maybe, but I can't really vouch for the conditions and we're potentially dealing with bone-stock vehicles showing up to MORGs so it's best that we set it up as an unofficial get together by club members on short notice.

Hope that explains my thought process.

Jared

Thank you Jared for explaining that.

Ya, I over-complicated it when I came back to this thread and read what I wrote -- we're MORGing but without posting it everywhere. Hopefully the park stays open... we're getting rained on in buckets here at home...

Glad you will make it out!

-Jared

Don is unofficially our official "MORG" leader for Frank Raines if we don't get rained out. There is a number on the Stanislaus county webpage that we should check tonight and/or tomorrow morning. If the park is closed, then no get together this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay so talking with my wife..... Crossing fingers but it looks good on my end. Baby still not here. But close. If I drive up I can make it and leave on my own in a hurry if something happens.

Don is unofficially our official "MORG" leader for Frank Raines if we don't get rained out. There is a number on the Stanislaus county webpage that we should check tonight and/or tomorrow morning. If the park is closed, then no get together this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked but did not find this number. I found a number for parks and rec, but it just goes to a recording saying they are open 7:30-5 m-f; nothing about the park.

Archived