South Cow Mountain - Conditions

Hi all;

We've got a Moving MORG at South Cow Mountain near Ukiah coming up in February -- just thought I'd toss a thread out to ask if anyone has been out there recently and could provide what trail conditions have been looking like.

Last time I was there in May/June 2014, the trails we were on were not paint-job friendly... if possible, I'd like to give a heads-up to the folks who don't want a lot of brush contact with their vehicle.

-Jared

Hi all;

We've got a Moving MORG at South Cow Mountain near Ukiah coming up in February -- just thought I'd toss a thread out to ask if anyone has been out there recently and could provide what trail conditions have been looking like.

Last time I was there in May/June 2014, the trails we were on were not paint-job friendly... if possible, I'd like to give a heads-up to the folks who don't want a lot of brush contact with their vehicle.

-Jared

This one is going to be fun!

Hi all;

Jared,

Tiger Dan's back yard, so best to message him and ask for a recce.

Graeme

Cow mountain is usually closed during winter.

From BLM webpage: The South Cow Mountain area is subject to closure during periods of wet weather. During the rainy season, call (707)468-4000 24 hours a day for current conditions before you come.

We will have to check the week before and have a plan B ready in case.

I can do a quick recce if Dan can't. As far as winter closures go, Cow Mountain only locks the gates if there is multiple days of heavy rain. I have been up there several times in the rain and had a blast. I am planning in making this trip and can keep everyone up to date on the conditions as we get closer.

Also, is there anyone who would like to camp Saturday night? There is a nice little campground on the Lake Co. side called Buckhorn. It has several camping spots, 4 or 5 I think, fire rings, picnic tables and a pit tolet.

I can do a quick recce if Dan can't. As far as winter closures go, Cow Mountain only locks the gates if there is multiple days of heavy rain. I have been up there several times in the rain and had a blast. I am planning in making this trip and can keep everyone up to date on the conditions as we get closer.

Also, is there anyone who would like to camp Saturday night? There is a nice little campground on the Lake Co. side called Buckhorn. It has several camping spots, 4 or 5 I think, fire rings, picnic tables and a pit tolet.

Hi Robb;

Thanks for the offer to recce.

As for the camping, we're discussing that over in the main Feb MORG thread here. Sounds like you've got an idea of the camping options so please help us out on that thread!

-Jared

The only time I've been to Cow Mountain it rained non stop from halfway up Friday afternoon until we cancelled the trip Saturday around lunch. We were only able to drive on the main trails through the park. Any side trails were just too hilly, slippery and wet to make a go of it.

There were some fun sections, especially down in a river valley. We had the place to ourselves for the most part and enjoyed the areas we were able to drive on.

Here is the South Cow Mountain Map, for reference. It has a list of the available trails, their difficulty rating and accessibility by vehicle type. The only times I've been here we've started from the westside staging area and mainly drove into the Trail 2 (Oakwood Springs Loop) area.

Trail 2 area

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/trail2.png

South Cow Mountain Map [PDF]

It will be easiest for most people to take 101 North to Ukiah and enter through the Westside Staging area. Close to this area is Tule Pond trail and Scotts Creek trail, each about a mile and a half long.

But traveling east along the Mendo-Lake Road will bring you to the Morrison Ridge trail (trail 11) and Pyramid Ridge trail (trail 19). These are both moderate trails, totaling about 10 miles and close to the Buckhorn campground. Just east of these trials are Benmore Loop, Boundary Ridge, and to the north Spruce Canyon (about 5 - 2-1/2 miles each in length). These are more difficult trails that have some tight spots.

You can also enter Cow Mountain from the Lake County side, taking Highway 29 through Napa Co. and into Lake Co. toward Lakeport.

You can also enter Cow Mountain from the Lake County side, taking Highway 29 through Napa Co. and into Lake Co. toward Lakeport.

We will be entering from the Ukiah side, but the dual-entry thing definitely confused people when we were down for the Mendo rally last year... I could hear over the radio people going to the wrong exit and not having the key to get through since it was a closed event.

-Jared

We will be entering from the Ukiah side, but the dual-entry thing definitely confused people when we were down for the Mendo rally last year... I could hear over the radio people going to the wrong exit and not having the key to get through since it was a closed event.

Looking at the map there is a TV "translator station". Is that because people that live up there don't speak English? Do we need to bring a passport and some sort of foreign currency?

Graeme

(running like heck, as I know Dan is going to come back with something .... and it might be heavy!)

Archived