New to the Forum. Have a 77 two door 4 speed RRC and a 95 Swb for daily. Don't want to wheel the 77 so I've been looking at some series one discos. I found a 5 speed that needs a lot of cosmetic work and would need suspension tires etc. Really tempted to pick it up this weekend. Does the disco have any advantageous off road over a 4 door classic? I've only been in a series two.

New to the Forum. Have a 77 two door 4 speed RRC and a 95 Swb for daily. Don't want to wheel the 77 so I've been looking at some series one discos. I found a 5 speed that needs a lot of cosmetic work and would need suspension tires etc. Really tempted to pick it up this weekend. Does the disco have any advantageous off road over a 4 door classic? I've only been in a series two.

Welcome to the forum Jon!

The 77 is a rare beast indeed in the U.S. (I assume you are in the U.S.?). Definitely don't want to trash that. 2 door is even rarer as (a) they never officially brought them here, and (B) they stopped producing them in 1984 (for the U.K. market, although Saudi 2-doors were available later).

On the Discovery 1 and RRC comparison, they are basically the same chassis in the U.S., so off-road is similar (slight difference in approach and departure angle due to bodywork). You won't find any official U.S. model RRCs with manual, and only about 10 % of the Disco 1s had manual. There are some conversions (using Disco pedal boxes), but they are rare.

Discos are generally 2/3 of the price of RRCs now.

Earlier (pre-92?) RRCs had 10 spline axles, all Discos had 24 spline (marginally stronger), but they are easy to convert from one to the other.

Regards,

Graeme

The disco will come with the lt230 transfer case which is an advantage over the Borg-Warner unit in the RRC in my opinion. I have a 96 5 speed. It's been great to me. The one thing to consider is because the 5 speeds are so rare fixing your trans in he event of an issue, I've done this twice, can be rather costly as most o the parts have to be shipped from the UK. Ashcroft is a great company to work with and will supply what you need it just need to make it across the pond. I would consider what type of off roading you will be doing. I wheel mine pretty hard, and it takes a beating but I can usually find parts at the local pick n pull. I done see many classics in the yard

One thing that the RRC has going for it that the disco doesn't is a tailgate. Super handy in my opinion. But the disco does mount the spare on the door not in the people space so +1 for the disco. As Grame said they we mostly the same platform. The DI will have fuel injection, electronic ignition and OBD2 if that's important to you. Here is a video of my 96 and Colin's RRC on the rubicon last year. Both highly modified. Lutz's D2 does make an appearance. Not sure if it will help you make up your mind.

Funny I was just watching that video yesterday, nice rover. Yes I Live in the bay area (Mill Valley) The problem is I could risk opening a can of worms by buying the disco, hoping it doesn't need much mechanical attention soon. Or I could use the same (roughly) amount of money and just modify the 95 SWB. The idea of a 5 speed disco just seams so cool, would love to swap a cross bolted motor into it and run it on carbs. Plan on going up to the snow soon with some Jeep guys and I want to have time to go through the car and make sure its the way it should be ,before it comes under all those guys magnifying glasses.

My 2 cents RRC's have a lower centre of gravity and in my experience feel @ lot more stable off road.

They also have a fold down tailgate which really comes in handy camping or just "tailgaiting"

I am not a fan of a manual trans for serious off-roading as it is a lot of work and the lack of power causes you to stall a lot on nasty approaches! Automatic is much better and less work!

Disco's are a lot bigger inside however than the RRC and some come with rear AC and jump seats.

[ATTACH]5600[/ATTACH] The 77 under way more load than it can handle (Now has black powder coated wheels/roof rack)

Such a great vehicle and rare to be sure -- welcome to the forum!

-Jared

I like that 2 door - have a white '81 myself. I'm a huge fan of the RRCs and as mentioned before, they feel more stable and the tailgate is one of the best features.

Earlier classics did come with the LT230. Which is something I'm interested in soon. Nathan's got an 88 lined up for me. But they normally run with the 3.5L motor. I'm not sure about the 77. I'm not ahuge fan of the discos but I own a 95 discovery with the 5 speed. But I broke my tcase and transmission recently. So I can't say much about that. But I am however interested in trying out the 88 classic. So I'll report my findings later. Just have to wing it till then.

So what ever tickles your fancy. Classics are truly a classic. Discos are...... Well..... It's a disco. Really it's a good idea to drive both and really find what's fits your style.

Archived