Anyone Interested in Hitting Hollister This Sat or Sun?

LandRonB

Looking at Saturday, saving Sunday for last minute shopping

I can offer guidance on winching exercise, nothing professional, but I have attended a Bill Burke class, have plenty of experience recovering at least 7 vehicles not including my own, and have slept at a Holiday Inn Express.... :D

That would be great Will if you can attend; that would be plenty of experience IMHO than most of us. So far Jarell (D1), Davey (LR3), Nick (RRC), Kam (D2) and myself showed interested. Saturday seems to be the best time. Will continue to track the head count but I am game for sure Sat.

What accessories should we have for the winching session? Been looking at picking up one of these @ 4wheelparts: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9499.cfm

Will, is this a good handout for Sat: http://www.warn.com/corporate/images/90/64660-A2_RS.pdf

Gonna be great Saturday! Mud, winching/safety session and all!

Wish I could, but I have to work. THE busiest time of year for me. After new years I'm down for anything, I just put a 12,000lb winch on last week. :)

Steve

Hope to catch up w/you Steve next time!

Thanks Gary for uploading the winching techniques guide!

Folks, I am still @ work so when I get home tonight, will post details re: time, meeting pt in Fremont (folks who wants to go on a caravan), where to meet in Hollister, time, etc...

Looks like attendees are: me, Will, Brian, Nick, Jarell, Kam, Dave, maybe Gary and Chuck!

Updated 12/21/07 (attendees):

Ron aka RonCT110 (CONFIRMED; CT110 w/Husky Superwinch)

Dave aka Sasquatch (CONFIRMED; LR3 EP9.0 Winch)

Jarell aka Disco12 (CONFIRMED; D1)

Will aka Gotrovr (CONFIRMED; D1 Winch Recovery Trainer this Sat)

Brian aka HMBRover (CONFIRMED; G4 D2)

Nick aka NHess81 (CONFIRMED; RRC)

Kamron aka Discokam (Pending; D2)

Chuck aka desert crawler & lil crawler (CONFIRMED; D2 w/Warn Winch)

Gary aka PCRover (Maybe; LR3; Winch brand?)

- - - -

Ok folks,

I. Trip Date/Time/Details

Year End is just around the corner and let's do one more run (non-club sanctioned). With that said, we have a day trip of 4wheeling fun and winch training session @ Hollister OHV Park this Sat Dec 22 10am: http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

To get there, plug this in your GPS and/or print from Mapquest:

Hollister Hills

State Vehicular Recreation Area

7800 Cienega Road

Hollister, CA 95023

(831) 637-3874

Folks coming from the East Bay can meet-up @ Fremont Auto Mall Exit; Shell Station @ 8am.

Rest, meet @ the Ranger Station at 10am; $5 park admission per vehicle for day use; get access code to the gate & pick up a map of the park; air down, and head to the entrance and then to the Obstacle Course.

CB or FRS Channel 7

If you are running late and can't meet @ the Ranger Station, meet us @ the 4x4 Obstacle Course. GPS Coordidates: Lat 36 45 30.5 Long 121 24 23.6

I called this morning (Friday) and the park is open to the public (no special event).

II. General Plan

- 10am - meet @ the Ranger Station, and head to the park. Warm up @ the 4x4 Obstacle Course: hit concrete steps, log run, etc...

- Let's check with Will and gather to start our winching safety/training session perhaps around 11am. Cover winching safety, signals, and techniques.

- Depending on how long the session takes, we can have lunch before or after hitting the trails.

- Let's head West on McCray Road (Intermediate Run) and head all the way to the top of Hector Heights. There is an optional trail on Fremontia Road (Black Diamond Run) we can take depending on trail conditions.

- On the way back, we can head North on West Trail (Intermediate), end up in the Rock Quarry Area, and then back to the 4x4 Obstacle Course. And if you are daring, go thru the mud pit! :corkysm21: Perhaps get to apply what we learned during winching safety/training session! :headspin:

- "Should" (depending on any carnage - no one will be left behind) be finished by 2pm.

III. Vehicle Requirements

Open high clearance vehicles; Recovery points a must; AT or Mud tires a plus; optional winch for the training session. I think there is enough of us w/winches to help w/the demo of: single pull, self recovery using snatch block, and use of tree strap and choker chain.

IV. Weather Forecast and Contact Information

Today: Sunny. High near 55F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 29F. Winds light and variable.

Tomorrow (Sat): Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 57F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow night (Sat): A few clouds from time to time. Low 34F. Winds light and variable.

Note: Seems like Sun will peak in and out. I would layer and bring cold weather gear. No sign of rain, but bring rain gear just in case. And tarp for Jarell! :corkysm21: (Actually plastic tarp will come in handy to keep mud out in case we need to work on someones impaired vehicle).

Ranger Station

(831) 637-3874

Emergency Services 9-1-1

AAA Towing: Tiffany Motor Company in Hollister (831) 637-4461

300 Gateway Dr, Hollister, CA 95023

V. Food/Gas/Equipment Checklist

Food:

BYO. Plan for lunch @ the park.

Gas:

There is a Costo gas station near the Gilroy Outlets, and plenty downtown Hollister including Diesel.

Equipment Checklist:

BRING YOUR CAMERA and extra batteries

First aid

Gloves

Shovel

Suncreen (might not need it)

CB 7

GPS Unit optional

Maps

Drinking water and lunch

Full size spare/tire repair kit

Atlest one or two bring hi-jack lift and ARB air jack (I have both)

Winch a plus but tow straps should be fine

Front and rear tow points

VI. Other Info

See attached Basic Guide to Winching Techniques posted by Gary above.

Thanks Gary! I like the trip planning aspect; being trail leader is another - enjoy it, but enjoy being a trail gunner or site seer more (less stress).

Also good call on skipping this Sat, not risking timing/being late and taking care of Bday first especially being it's your wife's bday!

Will catch up with you next time!

Carnege was the soup de jour. A Jeep Grand Cherokee with a broken front diff. A Ford truck with a broken u-joint. And of course Chuck again.

Brian, Ron and I waited with Chuck for the flatbed ambulance courtesy of Ron's AAA towing card. Chuck wasn't a happy camper. He and family were to head out on a camping trip the following day, not gonna happen. Carnege was unexpected as always. A little overzealous in the mud pit perhaps.

Ron and I witnessed the unbelievable. Jarrel pulled a bicycle stunt going down the ravene. Slow motion tipping on two wheels. I still can't fathom how Jarrel didn't land on his side. Pucker factor for sure. I watched paralized and couldn't grab the camera in time. Where's Greg when you need him?

Chuck's D2 exp some breakage, but quickly got Chuck's vehicle flat bed towed (Thanks to AAA plus 100 mile free towing) to Cerrone's where Tony/Frank can check it after the Christmas Holiday.

And again sorry to hear about Check's breakage! Looks like lil crawler and your daugther had fun though!

Dave reported that he was hearing some noise (coming from the cooling fan) on the LR3 after the Hollister trip. I wouldn't be surprise if chunk(s) of mud is causing that problem.

Overall, if was a fun and an education day.

Thanks Will for volunteering his time going over winch operation, accessories, safety (with emphasis in assessing the situation and safety first), and techniques . Great way to start the day. We need to do this session again for other club members (if Will is willing and avail).

Then we hit concrete steps: pretty much everyone made it up; here are a few pics from the Concrete steps line-up: G4, LR3 and then Nick making it all the way up w/o getting stuck. Rigs were still nice and clean (still early on in the day).

In no time, we all gravitated towards to mud pit. Chuck was the first daring one on his D2, followed by Dave on his LR3 and I went thru it on my CT110. Chuck went thru the pit w/gusto; mud splish splash everywhere! I did it Camel Trophy style, slow, letting the Diesel/torque power thru the mud @ low speed. Made it! Of course Chuck and Dave had to go thru the mud pit again and again!

It's like a holiday spa treat for the LRs. Start with the master, and then mud bath (last pic from Brian's camera)! Look @ Dave go thru that mud pit!

From Brian's pic, here's where Chuck got stuck; that section is a trap; check out Chuck climbing thru the pass window and then up the roof to get to the rear. I was wearing boots and walked on that mud to hook up the strap and it was sticky mud (can't see Will's Shrek in the pic. but he is infront pulling me - the Centipede recovery technique.

Also had to slowly pull my leg as I walked forward to avoid leaving my boots behind! And had to tap the chunks of mud off my boots to be able to drive, step on the clutch and gas pedal.

Then hit Bonanza Rd/trail and flex our stuff on the Ravine; this is where Jarell almost flipped his D1. Like Will said, we were paralyzed in amazement; joking set aside, glad Jarell didn't flip over but he needs to take it easy on the gas pedal!

Had lunch and watched other 4wheelers break stuff....Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Ford truck. Caravaned to the Ranger Station (where Chuck's D2 was towed to Cerrone's). Jarell and Nick stayed a lil bit longer in the park. Glad to see Nick finally had the chance to wheel the RRC (last time he was in Hollister he stayed on the side line working out electrical problems)! RRC ruled Five Fingers for the day at Hollister I heard - share some pics!

On the way back, we stopped @ the Gilroy Shopping Outlets to for the Birkenstock shop (but it closed last Nov); then a quick stop @ Camping World.

C you guys next time!

PS - pics from borrowed from Brian and lil crawler.

Archived