Items to have with you while off-roading?

ChrisJB

Would like to get some input on what are some of the basic things that a person whould have with them while 4 wheeling to aid in recovery and to be able to handle most issues that may arise. Of course I always bring lots of water, first aid kit, and cooler full of beer :) I also carry an air compressor and have fiited a shackle bracket into my rear hitch receiver. So would like some input on what items I should really have with me.

A shovel of some sort, either camping or full size on the rack. A recovery strap and a couple d rings to connect to a recovery vehicle. A winch, even a manual one, is a good idea. Communication device: Cell phone or better CB or BEST Sat phone / Ham radio. A good map, not just a gps, an actual map and compass....for when it gets REALLY bad. A "spares" bag is nice.....space blanket, change of clothes.

Mountian Money, and a few of them. Used to clean cuts, wipe eyes, and for the obvious reasons too....and it can be traded I have found for other needed things.

When it comes to adding accessories like winches and what not. Does it have any effect on the vehicles warranty? I have a warranty till 2011 and don't really want to do anything that may void it.

Modifications to the drive train ie lockers will impact the warranty but only with the replaced or upgraded items but not items that remain stock. Adding aftermarket accessories like a winch or rack is not a problem, these can be factory or dealer installed accessories. However, certain winches require special mounting to aftermarket bumpers that may not be compatable with the Supplementary Restraint System. I believe ARB makes an SRS compatable winch bumpers. Others might want to chime in here....

I use milk crates to corral most of my off-road gear. I find they're easy to load and stack well in the garage when not on the road. Here's most of the stuff I drag along on an off-road trip.

Spares crate contains:

- top-off quantities of all fluids

- tire patch kit

- radiator hose patch kit

- tail pipe/muffler patch kit

- a few fuses of each required size

- brake light switch (brake light switch must work to shift out of PARK)

- quick setting epoxy

- duct tape

- bundle of wire and crimp connectors

- electrical tape

- spare rotoflex joint for rear drive shaft

- spare serpentine belt (the old one from my 45K service)

- hose clamps of various sizes

- a few lengths of rubber tubing of various sizes

- air filter

- WD40

- zip ties and steel wire

Tool bag includes basic tools, wrenches, sockets and ratchets, OBDII Scanner, multi-meter, air compressor, matches, knife, flashlight. For longer trips I augment it with full 1/2" drive socket set, torque wrench, breaker bar.

Recovery bags include 4 shackles, 2 tow straps, tree strap, 15 ft 3/8" G43 chain, HiLift jack accessories, gloves

Storage bins contain tarps, hatchet, folding shovel, pruning saw, coveralls, 50 ft 5/8" truck rope, ratchet tie-downs, first aid kit, rags, gloves

Survival crate contains Coleman backpack stove & fuel, couple cans of soup, pan, coffee bags, plastic bags (toxic spill kit), tent pegs and line to rig awning, 12vdc/110vac converter, AA battery charger, bug spray

Water crate contains 4 gallon milk jugs of water

Sleeping bag if temperature is near freezing or below

Cooler with water, soda, beer, perishable foods (depends on trip length)

Food crate with dry stuffs and cans (depends on trip length)

I also carry a full-size shovel and axe as well as a 48" HiLift jack mounted on the roof rack.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Obviously you don't need all this stuff each trip and it depends on what kind of trips you take, what you need. We do a lot of solo trips to out-of-the-way places so self-sufficiency is a must.

Front and rear recovery points should be the first thing you do. Never go out alone. Carry a few recovery straps. If you don't want to fit a winch, get a HiLift - they are pretty cheap at Tractor Supply Store or at 4-Wheel Parts stores. They can be used as a manual winch - slow but better than nothing.

As for survival stuff, Brian (HMB) has it pretty much covered.

They are a little hard to come by but I got most of mine at garage sales. The down side of them is they don't keep the dust out so if you go wheeling and the truck fills with dust then everything in the crates is dusty. I lined one of mine with 1/8 masonite to store dishes in. That works pretty well.

I know Ron (CT110) had some "tuffy" boxes that had lids/were sealed but were smaller than average. My RRC and I need to work some things out. No tiedowns in the back...that blows.

I want to put 1/2 Cot Tents on the roof rack forward, then other items in the rear. I would like to bring the spare tire back into the truck, or on a swing away on a new rear bumper. I also need a good place for gas cans.

If we are not "extreme offroading" but more adventuring, I have one of those racks that goes in the recvr hitch which I will use for gas water, as it will hold like 400#....but it doesn't swing away. I need to find an old swing away yakima or thule rack, hack off at the "bike part" and weld on a small platform. That is my goal

So I did some shopping and this is what I picked up so far

PROCOMP Universal Recovery Strap 2x20 20,000lb Rating

4 3/4" D-ring Shackles w/Screw Pins

142 Piece Auto Tool Set

Backpack filled with survival and first aid goodies. (can survive 4 days food, water, shelter, first aide)

Delorme Atlas and maps of Nevada and California from treadlightly.org

Map Compass

2 6gal water containers

portable water filter

4.25 lbs fire extinguisher

pair of mechanix gloves

duct tape

This is all in addition to the air compressor and roadside emergency kit that i already have

Working on next getting misc stuff like fuses, tire repair kit,

I think it's a good start so far. All this gear and it's making want to go out and get stuck or lost :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, but in a faster car than my rover.......

I need to come up with a nice packing strategy...Just got 2 double Kamp Rite Tent Cots....one for girls, one for me and future child, dog for now. I think they are wider than my rack, by an inch......so much for tire and tents on the roof...

I need to figure out something to do with that spare tire, since it is a 265/75...

I must now commit to the rear bumper/tire carrier build. Then all will be good.

I've been using these for storage, they fit in the back, you can stack them, they're water and air tight (they come with a bleeder screw because they'll get so much vacuum in them you can't get the lid off), a little black paint and they look OK.

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/product/133301

What was the shipping cost on those?:cool:

Stevem I don't even remember the shipping costs I've had them for several years. They now have some different sizes, too. They're light and waterproof, so air tight they have a bleeder screw on them to let out the vacuuum when you open them.

I keep tools, spare parts, etc., in one, then survival and medical gear in the other.

Archived