Planning the "NOT THE RUBICON TRIP" - July 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

We usually get a bunch of Rovers to crash the Jeepers Jamboree each year. Well - this year we are doing it different.

On July 23rd, we are going to rally up in Georgetown California, walk the streets, check out the rigs, and attend the vendor show that will be there. Camp somewhere near Georgetown (maybe at Uncle Tom's). Then, when everyone else wakes up to hit the Rubicon trail the next day - we are gonna explore some of the other trails in the area.

Hellhole Reservoir is one, but there are other interesting places in the area as well to explore.

Three questions:

1)Anyone doing the Rubicon Jeepers this year (paying for it) that we could meet up with in Georgetown on the 23rd?

2)Anyone familiar with the area got some good trails they think we should run (not the Rubicon since it is closed) in addition to Hell Hole?

3)Anyone interested in a long weekend escape in July for some fun wheeling?

What kind of trails are you looking for? Hell hole has some tough spots that I'm sure you remember. Not for the stock rover. I went on a poker run outside of loon lake on some Forrest roads a few years back. A fun trip for sure. We crossed rubicon creek which was the most technical. From hell hole you can get to French meadows res and soda springs road that goes from Forrest hill to soda springs. A fun road for exploring and sight seeing but not much technical. I guess it depends on how difficult you want the trail to be. When we run hell hole we usually go in the summer and the water level is low. That let's us drive across the lakebed which is pretty cool. Probably the closest to driving my disco across an African plain as I'll ever get.

Guest Pedram
I have never been either but interested. If I bring my little trailer would that be a problem? I'm good at getting around with a trailer and its small enough for most trails. Since I sold the roof rack my truck cargo area got really cramped.

What kind of trails are you looking for? Hell hole has some tough spots that I'm sure you remember. Not for the stock rover. I went on a poker run outside of loon lake on some Forrest roads a few years back. A fun trip for sure. We crossed rubicon creek which was the most technical. From hell hole you can get to French meadows res and soda springs road that goes from Forrest hill to soda springs. A fun road for exploring and sight seeing but not much technical. I guess it depends on how difficult you want the trail to be. When we run hell hole we usually go in the summer and the water level is low. That let's us drive across the lakebed which is pretty cool. Probably the closest to driving my disco across an African plain as I'll ever get.

Technical is OK - I'm essentially looking for good places to explore/camp, etc. Thinking we will start out in Georgetown (Thursday morning) and head over to Hell Hole. Probably camp 2 nights at Hell Hole (that takes care of Thursday and Friday night). Looking for some other trails/camping areas in the area to explore-- either pre-Hell Hole or post-Hell Hole to make a full 4 day weekend out of it...

If you could post some trail/lake/campground names I can explore virtually on the internet that would be great. Rubicion trail is closed for Jeepers Jamboree - but maybe there is a way to head back thataway somehow and do part of the trail in reverse near the end of the event after everyone makes it to the Springs?

I have never been either but interested. If I bring my little trailer would that be a problem? I'm good at getting around with a trailer and its small enough for most trails. Since I sold the roof rack my truck cargo area got really cramped.

Think trailer should be ok. There are some tight spots -- question should be would I take it on the Rubicon Trail?

That said, we should probably make sure people have at least 33" tires that go on this trip. There are some rocks, and if you don't have 33's I think there will be a lot of stacking/possible damage.

Has anyone gone in the Wentworth Springs road to the Rubicon? I'm thinking maybe we do Hell Hole first, have some fun there, then head back to Wentworth Springs road trailhead to the Rubi -- exit out via Loon Lake trailhead. Never did that part of the trail, not sure how long it would take. If there was extra time, since we'd be on the tail end of the Jeepers event maybe we could even head into Buck Island as a camp site.

Well crap. I just saw this tonight. Yesterday I told Michele I would commit to doing Sedona for a week in July. Not sure I could manage both in the same month. And heck, I'm rolling 32s anyway. But isn't that what all those skids are for?

Do think 32's would probably be OK - just higher likelihood of underbody scrapes and a bit more stacking. I've not done the Wentworth Springs portion of the Rubicon before so I can't really comment on it -- but I'm pretty sure the return section to Loon Lake would be doable. Depending on time (and whether trails is still blocked off for Jeepers) maybe we head in to Buck Island for a bit as well...

Maybe we should contact the Powers That Be in the Jamboree and ask them if this plan is doable. I think Sunday would be our only shot to be on the trail at all. Judging by our return trip to Loon Lake due to the fire last time I would think so from a traffic standpoint, but due to the fact that the trail is the exclusive domain of the Jamboree during that time we may be told no.

Maybe we should contact the Powers That Be in the Jamboree and ask them if this plan is doable. I think Sunday would be our only shot to be on the trail at all. Judging by our return trip to Loon Lake due to the fire last time I would think so from a traffic standpoint, but due to the fact that the trail is the exclusive domain of the Jamboree during that time we may be told no.

Yes, if it didn't work it may be just an "in and out" Wentworth.

I have done the wentworth entrance. It's not bad at all. There is one section called devils postpile that has a bypass that is tricky. you could camp at the wentworth springs campground since that really isn't part of the trail. The trip from wentworth to ellis creek my buddies stock 85 land cruiser did in the snow without much trouble. We had to tug him in a few spots. Getting into Buck with a rig on less than 33's and a 3" lift would be time consuming.

You could take a side hike to university falls near Quinette for some natural rock slides.

I could look at my map but about the forrest roads around the rubicon that I spoke of before but we stayed at the airport flat campground and went off to the north and east through those trails. It was fun.

A friend on mine drug a trailer through Hell Hole. It was fine on the way in but on the way out it was difficult and he's in a TJ on 36's, 6" lift and locked with stickys. I watched him struggle for the first time ever on a trail. I would think twice about doing it in a rover with a trailer. The tail isn't bad except that one spot near the tree/turn. If you've been there you know the one I'm talking about.

Instead of heading north towards Hell Hole you could head south towards Hwy 50 and hit some of the El Dorado Forest on the south side of 50.

Yes, Forest Roads around Rubicon (or even a route from Hell Hole to Wentworth with some exploration in and around) sounds like a worthy trip.

I'm not sure who is planning on going at this stage - right now it's me and a buddy each with 33's and lockers so we can handle just about anything.

I remember the rocky turn with the tree in fact have a dent in my roof from said tree. Forgot about that little spot and challenges with the trailer...

Archived