Unofficial Club Trip to the Lost Coast Nov 2013

With some quick planning, Michal & his daughter, Phil, and my family & I completed a great wknd camping trip to the Lost Coast Nov 2-3. We were in the lower part of the Lost Coast; entered Usal Rd from Hwy 1. Explored around including stop at Usal Beach, and exited at Four Corners. Had lunch @ Sinkyone Wilderness State Park, and camped at Wailaki Campground for an overnight stay. Next day we checked out Shelter Cover and had a nice breakfast at the Fish Tank Café. Exited thru Garberville where we refueled, said our good-byes and headed back home via 101.

During our pre-trip planning, checked w/the Rangers and confirmed that Usal Rd was open. Trail condition this wknd was dry and the mostly dirt country road was rated easy trail w/some rough areas (during the rainy season rated moderate to impassable); weather was overcast in the morning but sun broke thru in the afternoon. Night was cold which is expected in November. Nothing like a good camp fire and cold weather clothing to deal with it. Overall, beautiful, nature oriented (saw elks) and scenic drive both Usal and the drive home (redwood trees and wineries along the way!

Here are some random photos from our trip. Michal and Phil, feel free to add photos or comments.

looks like fun and great weather. thanks for the pictures.

You are welcome; hope you find another group who can go w/you later this month. While Usal Rd is suppose to be closed mid-November, not always the case; been in Usal Rd after Thanksgiving and still open after checking w/the Ranger; depends on the rain comes!

Hi All,

It was indeed a fabulous trip. Ron - THANK YOU FOR ORGANIZING. I would definitely support adding this trip to our annual trip calendar. We should have more weekend or longer weekend trips as (at least from my perspective) they are much easier to manage.

I am attaching some of the pics that I have taken.

Best,

Michal

Archived