OFFICIAL - Death Valley GPX file

I have been messing with my new Garmin Montana and Basecamp. I'm building the GPX file for this years trip, and wanted to get it out in the hands of the trip participants so they can test their equipments compatibly. Keep checking back as this gets finalized, but right now you should be able to see my waypoints and the following routes:

Day 0 - 2 different ways of getting to Gold Point. Via Reno or via 88 (California way). This was created in Basecamp using the CitiNavigator 2013 software - with the automatic routing. You should use the CitiNavigator map when you follow this route.

Day 1 - A "pre-run" of what fun those of us who will be getting to Gold Point on Thursday will be doing. Especially cool things may be repeated on Day 2 or Day 3 - but for now I am treating it as a separate days excursion. The theme is old mines and cabins in Northern Nevada. This is direct (point to point) based on the Nevada and California Topo maps which I downloaded for free from GPSFileDepot.com. Make sure your GPS is set to "direct" versus "follow road" when you use this one.

Day 2 - A tour of Tule Canyon and some of the old Mining Remains, and a visit to "The Castle" where we will take a tour of one mans dream house. This too is direct (point to point) based on the Nevada and California Topo Maps. -- so you will need to set GPS to direct and enable the California and Nevada Topo maps.

Day 3 - Two separate tracks. The first is direct, and takes us the back way into Rhyolite using the Nevada Topo Map. The second takes over at Rhyolite, routes us through Titus Canyon, takes us to Scotties for a tour, and then takes us back to Gold Point for our final evening there. It is based on the 2013 CitiNavigator and your GPS should be set to "follow road".

Day 4 - Two separate tracks. The first takes us to Crankshaft Junction via Nevada backroads. Set GPS set to direct with California/Nevada Topos enabled. The second takes us to the Racetrack, down Lippencott, and to the Saline Hot Springs. Set your GPS to automatic, and use CitiNavigator.

Day 5 - Lots of tracks here. The first takes us from the Hot Springs to Boxcar Cabin, then down into Darwin, finally ending at Panamint Springs and can be used with CitiNavigator, automatic routing. We will then be splitting into 3 groups:

Group 1 - heads to Osbourne Cabin. There are two tracks for this one. The first takes you to a waypoint called "Osbourne cutoff" and can be used with CitiNavigator and automatic routing. The second takes you to Osbourne Cabin. This group will need to radio back conditions and if the cabin is available. Have never been to this cabin before so don't know how much camping space there is.

Group 2 - heads to Minnietta Cabin. A single track -- use with Citi Navigator and automatic routing.

Group 3 - heads to Briggs Cabin. A single track - use with Citi Navigator and automatic routing

The reason for splitting up is that we need to figure out which cabins are occupied. Ideally, we will camp based on what Group 3 finds. But that is a very popular cabin and odds are against us. Our second choice will be what Group 2 finds, followed by what Group 3 finds.

Day 6 - A single route here -- taking us into Striped Butte Valley - use with CitiNavigator and automatic routing

Day7 - A single route here as well -- taking us into Salt Basin.

Day 8 - Lots of routes here -- broken up between automatic routing and direct routing.

Day 9 - A automatic route taking us home via Baker, and then on up Highway 5 through Bakersfield.

For each route, I also calculated a detailed "track" which is in the file as well. If you don't have CitiNavigator, but your GPS device is able to import tracks -- those will be your best bet.

Note that I also went out to Geocaching.com and downloaded the latest geocaches as Waypoints.

Summary of what you should be able to upload:

-Roughly 200 waypoints for Geocaches

-Roughly 700 additional waypoints

-21 Routes

-21 Tracks

Keep monitoring this thread for updates. Once I am complete with the planning, I will send out a Powerpoint of each days activities (which we will cover during the drivers meeting). Let me know if you are having trouble reading the files.

Updated with the Final GPX files

In an effort to live vicariously (and learn) I downloaded the file... I'm having trouble importing into GPS apps (Google Earth, MapSource, Babaelfish...) and GPSVisualizer.com. All saying in their own way "No GPS file detected"...

FYI,

TO

yeah I can't open it now form the website, opens as a text document. worked fine the other day. having issues getting it to go to my delorme tho. maybe the file issue is it. was able to open it in base camp but couldn't get gpsbabel to convert to the delorme format. oh well i'll just follow the dust in front of me :)

yeah I can't open it now form the website, opens as a text document. worked fine the other day. having issues getting it to go to my delorme tho. maybe the file issue is it. was able to open it in base camp but couldn't get gpsbabel to convert to the delorme format. oh well i'll just follow the dust in front of me :)

Chuck's working on an updated file or an alternate way to send. If you still have problems getting to Delorme, try exporting just the tracks and waypoints from Basecamp (don't include the routes), then try to send to the Delorme.

Ok - assuming the ZIP is working for everyone. And YMMV with the GPX extension...

Send me a PM if you need something mailed directly. I'll have my computer at Gold Point as well with Basecamp on it.

I'm curious if the number of waypoints and routes is too much for some GPS devices? It fits nice on my Montana, once I figured out that I am limited to 50 waypoints per route..

Archived