Gauging Interest Return to Rubicon 2013

Wow....

:-)

Having done the Rubie last year, I will simply say I would never attempt it with anything less than 33's -- and I would prepare to be yanked/winched if I didn't have lockers. There are still plenty of tough spots on that trail that will never go away. 1000 hill was cool, but the bypass is pretty darn hard as well. If you are bored going the Rubicon Springs to Tahoe way, try it in reverse. Climbing up Big Sluice will challenge your rig.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
I am still interestesd. Let me know where you stand on dates. It will make all the difference in the world for me. Also, I will likely not be available until friday after work. If you'll be on the trail by then, I'll catch up solo, that's if I get a pass from the boss.

Guest Pedram
I'm out for this year. My t case is gone. Still drive it around to work but not ready for that kind of use. Maybe a road trip. I don't have the time to tear into it. But I do have a spare waiting at home. I just want to do it right.

I vote July 19-21 or 26-28. Is this going to be a in and out trip or all the way through?

Pedram. Bring that thing up to loomis and ill help you swap the t-case. It's not hard.

My neighbor with a JK wants to run it in July. He's pretty set up but I've never wheeled with him. We can let him bring up the rear.

Guest Pedram
Jason if you set up a date I drive up with the spare and tools. I would rather have a hand who knows what's up.

P. lets get together on a day. We could even do a wrenching day out here if anyone else wants to come. If we are going to do this job I have access to a tranny jack that will make things much easier. Also be sure to get a tranny output seal (you are right there so might as well) a t-case input seal(common leak source) and an o-ring for the t-case intermediate shaft(also a common leak source). I know you we're talking about working on your tranny also. What's your timeline on that?

Guest Pedram
Leaks on the tranny and misses forth gear. It doesn't center out when in neutral, just hangs to the left near second. The t case is broken but still works. I only have a spare LT230. I don't even know if it's the right one. I just know I got it for cheap and want to get it going soon. If you know where I can source out the parts before the meeting then I'll get those ASAP. I would like to pick up locally rather then ordering online. But either way I need them. Anything else? I'm free every weekend. No time line. Just want to get it up and running. I appreciate any help. I also have a transmission jack from harbor freight I could bring.

Guest Pedram
Should I get a new clutch while I'm there? I feel like I might need one before the Rubicon. I never fried the clutch but I want to be safe. I just know that I will regret it later.

I am interested if it is after August. I am hoping that my lift and 33 inch KM2s will be able to tackle most of the trail. I also have sliders, diff guards, winch but no lockers other than stock traction control at 4 wheels.

IS a mid week trip still possible for people or does it need to be a weekend?

How about meeting Sunday afternoon/night and camp near the dam. Hit the trails Monday, Tuesday (optional Wednesday) with an anticipated departure Tuesday night? Just my two cents...

I likely won't get a kitchen pass if its not a weekend. I know what you mean about busy weekends out there. If you go in the fall the traffic will likely be lighter and the temps better for working but the days are shorter and the swmming isn't as good. I went on jeep jamboree weekend last year, that's the one where the trail stays open to the non-paying public. The camp at the springs Friday night. We stayed at buck island all weekend and hardly had any neighbors.

Guest Pedram
I'm down for a drive up there but if I go I think I would not wheel since I'm not able to make it anyway. My chances of breaking something are very high and I would rather enjoy helping and spotting then fixing my truck and blocking the trail. So if anyone has a seat open for a rider or two depending on the wife coming out as well, then I'd you don't mind I'm ready anytime. I personally don't mind some traffic since I would think going early morning for us would be better to hit the trails. Like start at daylight around 6 am at the trail head. On a weekend that is. Maybe get a head of any drunken groups.

Guest Pedram
I'm very interested in going. This will be my first so I think I would rather just see how things are in person then prepare for a later trip next time in mine.

We will often meet up Friday after work and wheel into spyder lake in the dark. You miss some pretty scenery but if youre up early you're usually ahead of some of the crowds. One year we camped on the slabs just off the trail. That was a terrible idea, rigs passing all night waking us up. Have we decided if this is an in and out or all the way through trip yet?

Archived