OFFICIAL : Death Valley 2013

I might want to get in this as well. But still in the air about it. It might be more a no then yes. But I'm liking the big group idea. I have been to DV a few times recently. I have done the Lippincott Rd. to Racetrack, some hot springs after a rocky path I forget the name to. It was a fun trip. Colin broke his truck there and Antonio towed him out of the park... It was crazy. And COLD. 10-15*F

I had a frozen bottle of water in my tent next to me. That's cold. Anyway, I'm looking into it. I would love to have my Ham license by then if I take the test I might tag with Chris on 2/12. But for now I have CB only. I have been looking to buy a good Ham HT soon. Just to have. Tom is helping me out with that since he knows a good toy.

I'll be in the maybe with the few on your list Chuck. Most likely solo since the wife might not like it. But leave an opening for her and I both. If there are to many going I'll stay home to avoid problems. I don't need to go that bad. Maybe for Friday-Saturday ish.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm now a likely no. My boys' Easter break is after Easter, but my wife is taking them outta town 4/4. She doesn't want me to have them gone on Easter. I'm kicking around the idea of leaving Monday and coming to find you guys, but that's a big maybe. Gotta get the 110 fixed up a little before I think about any long distance travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - Planning continues to get things a bit more solidified for this years trek. Given our potential group size (large) we are going to need to be cognizant of park regulations related to in-Park camping. Here is my current thinking on the itinerary.

Thursday night - Trip Leaders (and whomever else wants to) arrive at Gold Point, Nevada. Friday will be dedicated to finalizing route planning, doing some intial recce around the Gold Point area

Friday night - Main group arrives at Gold Point, NV. Saturday -- during day, will be exploring the Gold Point Area, including a potential tour of one of the local oddities

Saturday night - Group at Gold Point. Sunday will be Easter Egg Hunt, followed by a tour of Titus Canyon and Scotties Castle

Sunday night - Group at Gold Point. Monday will be focused on Race Track, Lippencott descent, and getting to Hot Springs.

Monday night - Hot Springs Camp. Tuesday will be Saline Valley, Boxcar Cabin, Panamint Springs, and Ballarat. Will need to find Camp at Briggs, Minnietta, or Osbourne -- will split into groups to find best alternative with HAM communication.

Tuesday Night - Camp at one of the forementioned cabin areas on BLM land. Wednesday will be heading up Goler Wash, and heading into Butte Valley/Warm Springs Area. Alternatively, may end up staying at same camp if it is a good one, making Goler or one of the other trips as a "day trip".

Wednesday night - Camp in Butte Valley (unless we stay over) -- head out via Warm Springs and head to Bob and Wards

Thursday Night - Bob and Wards - spend Friday on a day trip to Dumont Dunes area -- exploring the trail through the dunes

Friday Night - Bob and Wards. On Saturday we start the trek home,....

The good news is, that the way this is laid out you can take just Easter off (and leave on Monday for home from Gold Point) or you can meet us in Gold Point or at the RaceTrack on Monday morning. Sounds like another epic trip -- this time with some "sand driving" at the end of it to test your skills...

Sounds great! P you need to get your HAM. it's super easy I have a PDF study guide and if you have an iPhone I have a great app to practice with. I got the Baofeng 5VR + and although I haven't transmitted yet (waiting for call sign) I've been listening in and picking up some repeaters 30 ish miles away. The radio feels solid and I got the car charger, 7.5" antenna, remote mic thingy like cops use and the programming cable for under a C note on amazon including tax and shipping.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/26/yru6yje7.jpg

Would be good. Still need to figure out who the trip leaders are :) but if you volunteering...... I think the main place this will come into play is when we split up into 3 separate groups and make runs to the various cabins in the area that we might have a shot at staying -- Osbourne, Minnietta, Briggs...those will be the groups we may end up splitting up into -- but if we can get Briggs Cabin I'd like to have all of us there... We also should be thinking about splitting into 2 or 3 groups in Striped Butte as well for camping and eating dinner purposes.

Actually, not necessary, but encouraged...

I was going to caravan w/ Chuck, but sounds like he's leaving Thursday now. Same w/ Colin. When are you planning to leave Cabela's, Chris? I can meet you there if it's not too early. Can leave the Bay Area by 6am, and it's about 3.5 hours to Cabela's.

My dad and I are heading up to truckee thurs night (pretty sure anyone who wants to join is welcome, family cabin). And then on to cabelas fri am. Trying to break up the drive as it will be 10ish hours otherwise and it's loud in the CT. So we can really do anytime. I figured you guys would be there about 10-11 ish. Then I think it's about 6 hours from there. Let me know.

My dad and I are heading up to truckee thurs night (pretty sure anyone who wants to join is welcome, family cabin). And then on to cabelas fri am. Trying to break up the drive as it will be 10ish hours otherwise and it's loud in the CT. So we can really do anytime. I figured you guys would be there about 10-11 ish. Then I think it's about 6 hours from there. Let me know.

My 90 isn't much better for noise ;) maps say about 4 hours so im guessing 4.5 so 10-11AM should be about right. depending on how crazy my work week is before leaving, Elizabeth and I might take you up on a spot in the cabin ;) Lets keep in touch

Ok. Plans are getting finalized. I wanted to pass on some details about Gold Point -- and the cash you need to bring.

1. Some of us will be arriving Thursday night, most on Friday, and we will also be staying over Saturuday and Sunday night.

2. Gold Point will, for a fee, provide dinner for you. Thursday is going to be Pork Loin, Friday Chicken Cordon Bleu, and Saturday will be New York Steak. On Sunday night, we will be doing a potluck Easter Dinner (everyone should plan on contributing a dish).

3. Gold Point DOES NOT accept credit cards. So you will need to bring enough cash to cover:

4. Camping Fee (per night) - $ 5.00 per vehicle If you want a cabin you can rent one for $ 99.00 to 139.00 per night for first 2 people. $20.00 extra per person per day for additional people in same cabin. Breakfast included in the price.

5. Dinner costs $15.00 per night, children to young to eat a full steak dinner can pay ½ price and have a half steak. Breakfast costs $9.00 and young childern under $12 are$5.00. There is no charge for small children who want to eat off parents plate.

6. We will be taking a tour of the "Castle" for those who are interested on Saturday. That costs 10.00 per person, with children being free.

Drinks are on your "honour" - idea would be that you donate based on what you would spend at other bars.

We can fill up with gasoline and diesel for $5 per gallon -- again -- cash only.

Sounds awesome!, my dad and I are looking forward to this trip. For those that have go pro cameras(or any cameras that use SD cards) I am bringing my laptop to off load data daily so I don't have to buy a bunch of SD cards. I am happy to store your images/video until after the trip on the laptop.

Also, I have a PETT toilet and I was reading last year's thread regarding this: I am happy to let anyone use it as long as you provide your own wag bags (and carry them when you are done :) ). Trying to minimize the duplication of gear unnecessarily.

Dude, a simple PL259 connector is not a big deal, certainly not such a big deal you have to run off to Hawaii. Geeze, we'd help you

Missed you guys at the MORG, great turn out. Have fun and safe trip home.

Tom

A small change in plans for me. For the trip it will be Just my girlfriend Jamie and myself. Her parents are having to cancel and Aiden will just stay with his dad. So for Pfreeman, just 2. Paul and Jamie. Modified D2 with HAM only KK6CLP. Arriving Friday and staying the whole trip.

Archived