Gauging Interest: Shaver Lake 2013 Snow Run

Link to signup sheet.

Time to start thinking about trips for 2013! The first being the 6th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run. The current date is scheduled for February 8-10, 2013.

More details (camp reservations, trip waivers, etc.) to come before the Official Thread.

Here are the details if you haven't been on this trip before.

Description:

Shaver Lake is located at the 5,500 ft. elevation, one hour northeast of Fresno in central California. The area is known for abundant outdoor activities: snow skiing, snowmobiling, water skiing, fishing, and backpacking, horseback riding, 4-wheeling and camping.

Camp Edison has heated bathrooms with shower facilities (tokens can be purchased with quarters on the way in), and electrical outlets for each campsite. The breakers can trip easily, so please talk to your camp mates about any heaters or equipment with high power needs you may be using.

Trip Details:

Location: Camp Edison Trip Leader: Brenton Corns (Disco2Guy) Trail Leader: Brenton Corns (Disco2Guy), TBD

Current Weather Conditions at Shaver Lake

Camp Edison Phone: 559-841-3134

P.O.Box 600 FAX: 559-841-3193

42696 Tollhouse Rd.

Shaver Lake, CA. 93664

Map & GPS of Area:

Camp Edison 37° 7'19.64"N 119°18'53.75"W

Shaver Lake Snow Run Trail Head 37° 4'6.56"N 119°10'52.67"W

Bald Mountain Trail Head 37° 6'5.17"N 119°10'11.50"W

Expected Trail conditions:

Expect deep snow (if it ever starts to rain!), stay on the trial at all times or you will get very stuck very quickly. There is always the possibility of body damage. Ruts, woops, drifts, ice, are all common ways to crunch a panel. If you stop forward movement, do not spin your wheels. The friction melts the snow and then freezes into ice, reducing the quality of the trail surface.

Vehicle Requirements:

Chains- Chains may be required on the way to Camp Edison. If you have street tires and plan to hit the trail, you will need two sets of chains. If you have not installed chains before, please test fit them before the trip. Check for clearance issues around brake or ABS lines as well as tire wells during articulation. Stock vehicles (without chains) should remain at Camp Edison and find someone to ride shot-gun with on Bald Mountain.

Tires- All vehicles should be fitted with All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires and have a full sized spare. A tire repair kit is recommended.

Recovery Points- Strong recovery points front and rear are a must. Expect to pull someone (or yourself) from either end of your truck multiple times.

Required Safety & Recovery Equipment:

Fire extinguisher, CB (channel 7) or FRS (channel 7), or HAM radio for communication

Hi-Lift and/or X-Jack (at least one vehicle carry one), winch (every other vehicle is optimal), recovery strap (each vehicle should have their own)

Metal shovel (shovel snow), first aid kit, repair tools and spares to suit your vehicle, tire gauge and tire pump

Emergency overnight pack of food, water, blanket

Clothing Suggestions:

Snow/winter clothing- layer with base clothing that wicks sweat, polar fleece, wind/water repellant shell jacket or winter jacket; winter gloves, hat or beanie, and snow boots. Be prepared for rain/sleet as well. Sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.

Food / Meals:

Meal plans: BYO, or plan with others

After the trail we stop at the local pizza joint in Shaver Lake for a warm delicious sit down dinner.

Detailed Plan:

TBD

Misc Items to Bring:

Camera and extra batteries, winter tent, sleeping bag and blankets, extra garbage bags, GPS unit, map of the area and compass, drinking water, fire wood

Great to see this trip lives-on year after year; thanks B!

I will try to make it next year; Feb 15-17 works better for me. Will take my wife out on a Valentines dinner the day before (Thursday), and wknd kitchen pass for me on this trip (smile); will be me and my eldest son planning on going.

Will be testing the following on this trip:

- My new Tepui RTT for cold weather camping

- Like to test my ham radio and see if we can use the repeater(s) in Shaver Lake to communiate between base and trail head

Repeater Freq: 146.8200- PL 141.3 Owner's Call Sign: KE6JZ

223.8200- 114.8 K6HJ

224.7000- 156.7 KE6JZ

Sorry everyone, I need to shift the date for the trip. The venue where my g/f is having her 6th Anniversary show double booked her original date, and rescheduled it for the 16th of February.

So, can we shift the date back by week and make it Feb. 8-10?

Sorry for any conflicts this may cause.

what time would the caravan be leaving from the Bay Area on Friday?

I have work on Friday...but as a public school employee, we get out rather early!

We usually meet at 9:30am in Gilroy. It's about a 3 hour trip from Gilroy, so you could leave after work and still get there plenty early. The caravan takes an extra hour or two as we wait for others to show up, get lunch etc.

I think I'd be fine arriving at camp later on my own, ...or maybe there are others who need a late start from the Bay Area also?

Getting to Camp Edison is pretty easy. There's a good chance someone will show up later too that you can caravan with. I started a thread for the trip on LRRForums too. You may want to keep an eye on that thread too as the trip gets closer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived