Lassen recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I'm headed out to Lassen on Wednesday on the way to Crater Lake with a buddy and my dog.

Anyone have recommendations for easy trails or good remote campsites?

We're kind of short on time but would like to get off paved roads and camp in the middle of nowhere. Primitive campsites are great, but dispersed camping recommendations are excellent too!

Thanks!

Jay

If you want to bypass I-5, take USFS primary 17 north (west of Lassen NP)---don't know if its open b/c of Ponderosa fire this yr. Then north on US89 to USFS primary 15 (passes east of Medicine Lake, than back to US97 north to Oregon.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0505-issue/050510f-captain-jack.html

We like hanging out at Captain Jack's stronghold -- and we ran a trail (see attached link) that we found in this magazine that took us to the top of a obsidian mountain that was pretty cool. Lots of good camping -- and there is a lake for taking a dip that was nice. Very remote if you go the right places...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Day 1 - We took off a few hours ahead of schedule and left straight from picking up my buddy at SFO and camped at Blake Butte Lake. The whole site was completely empty and woke up to a gorgeous sunrise in a landscape looked like we were on safari.

Day 2 - From Orland we took 32 up through the national forest to 89 and headed through Lassen Volcanic National Park. Didn't have a lot of time for sightseeing, but Lassen was definitely worth the drive. Only one short section of the road is restricted due to fire damage (1 mile of no-stopping zone). After leaving the park we continued north on 89 and took Rupert's recommendation on USFS 15 to Medicine Lake Rd. After seeing tons of wildlife we made it down through Lava Beds National Monument, onto 39, through Klamath Falls and finally to a Scott Creek campsite off of NF70 on the east side of Crate Lake.

One recommendation - take a quick detour and get gas in Burney off 299. We didn't, which made for a challenging few hours down gravel mountain roads in N.

Day 3 - The next day we headed back down to 62, checked out Crater Lake and took 138 east, back to 97 en route to Newberry Volcanic Monument. At La Pine we took the sat nav's recommendation onto Roseland which dead-ends at a berm with lots of barb wire. There's a few trails through the woods which loop back to the main road for Pauline Lake. We continued on a series of unmarked trails that sat-nav showed would connect back to China Hat Road and slowly made a large loop around the east side of the craters. There's some amazing remote scenery and I'd highly recommended a trip to the Obsidian Flow. We finally made it to Bend after dark and powered north along 97 to 26 to 35, camping east of Mt Hood off Cold Springs road.

Day 4 - In the morning it was back to civilization to pick up my wife at PDX airport and see the family. Although it was a lot to see in a few days, it was worth it!

Jay

Archived