Hell Hole Reservoir

Anybody done this trail before? Trailhead looks to be near the start of the Rubicon on the Loon Lakes side.

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=33

Thinking about taking a weekend and heading in for a little fishing and relaxation, but wanted to get a read on trail conditions. Shorter and tougher than the rubicon, or just shorter?

I have. It's a fun little trail. There is only one or two spots you will need all the capabilities of your rig. I put a dent in the rear quarter and another in a rim. Great camping at the end of the trail. Nice views and mostly easy going. Easier than the rubicon for sure, well... now that they are smoothing out the 'Con it might be about the same. Shorter for sure. You can make it in and out in a day but it's such a long drive to get there I would stay. There is a fee campground not to far from the trail head but there are primitive sites along the trail near the trailhead and along the way. It's a fun one, I'll see if I can find some pics later.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I finally got the valley pan gasket replaced. All went very well, except for the places where the RAVE/Tech Manual were DEAD WRONG!!!

Still, I have no coolant leak anymore, which is nice.

But I still have the issue of when I floor it, the engine just kinda splutters. At partial (any amount under about 90%) throttle, it seems to do fine. There are two codes set, P0171 and P0174, which are for Bank 0 Lean and Bank 1 lean. I've been reading a lot of forums, and I get two general impressions that I would use some opinions on.

1. It's a common issue that running Sea Foam fuel additive for a few weeks will solve.

2. The MAF sensor has failed.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Seafoam in the gas tank is always good. You can also do an induction cleaning with it.

I seem to remember a code, "3rd gear ratio incorrect" (?) being a good indication that the MAF needs replacement.

That's funny, as I do also have a come for incorrect 3rd gear ratio. Guess I'll price me a MAF!

If you need a new MAF, Rovers North sells one for your 2004 DII 4.6 (made by Proline part # PLE041) for about for $230 plus tax and shipping: http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLE041&type=0&eq=&desc=MASS-AIRFLOW-SENSOR-P38A-%26-DII-4.6-BOSCH&key=it

Although limited parts avail for Land Rovers, I had some good luck ordering parts from US Auto Parts including a new MAF (Bosch brand part # W0133-1651681) for $185. Sign-up for the email alerts; from time to time, US Auto Parts offers free shipping or $10 off purchase over $100: http://www.usautoparts.net/catalog/?N=10970+4294962953+1654+11921+4294962928

Good to hear leak is gone; hope you fix the engine sputter problem.

That's epic Ron, Thanks!

I did notice that the top of the air filter box (whatever the proper terminology for that is...) that has the clips that hold that side of the MAF in place is broken. One of the clips is on a cracked bit of plastic. This allows a crack to form there, and there is a great deal of evidence that water got in there. So that most likely is what killed this particular MAF.

Any idea what the official name of that part is, and a good source for them? Used is fine, it's just plastic.

Archived