2004 center console in my 2001 D2

Disco2Guy

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. After installing the '04 CDL linkage the only thing missing was the placard showing the operation of the CDL. Getting just the placard was pretty much impossible, and I didn't really want the one from Ashcroft. So the decision was made to simply replace the center console form a 2004 D2. The only problem is since the '04 was the only year LR included the in-cabin CDL, I had to wait until one of the parts guys got one in their hands.

Marty Powell (Drillbit on DWeb) got a 2004 in a few weeks ago and I figured this was my chance to get the center console. At the same time my plan was to swap out the cigar lighter with a standard US sized one. I found a part number for one on DWeb but the connections on the back weren't a direct fit. Plus a tab broke the first time I tried removing the housing around the bulb (for the green ring). It turns out the 2004 version actually fits the power adapter plugs pretty well so it stayed in place.

After doing the CDL install a few years ago, I had a good idea what was involved, and it took less than an hour start to finish. An added bonus is that the lid to the cubby box is covered in leather with a little padding, unlike the original solid plastic one from my truck. The color of the new one is lighter than the previous console, but it still matches the trim and Wet Okole seat covers.

Anyways, here are some shots of the install.

So the decision was made to simply replace the center console form a 2004 D2.

Wow, I wish I has time to change a console rather than remembering which way to pull the lever .... or pealing off the sticker ...

I applaud your attention to detail.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, I am a very detail oriented person. My first thought was to just exchange the placards, but had my doubts on getting it off (and re-applied) in the same condition. The CDL knob was swapped from a D1 when the linkage went in;)

Looks really good Brenton! Now all you have to do is put a power tap ( lighter socket) inside the console bin for cell phones, etc., and maybe hide a small inverter in the console for 110 volt for laptop. BTW, who did you order/get your wet okole seat covers?

Looks great B, Did you shim the mounting plate at the rear? When I had mine out, I didn't like how the entire rear rested on the small mounting flanges so I cut and drilled a piece of wood (actually, left over laminate flooring) to match the entire plate so the bottom of the compartment rests squarely on the plate, not the small flanges. This idea came to me because the flange areas were cracked on mine ;-) $.02, Tom

No, I just kept it the way it's been. I'm not sure about the section you're referring to. The cubby box bolts to the plate, which can be seen to the far right of the 2nd photo. Not sure if the setup is different for the D1, wouldn't surprise me though. If you have a pic of what you did I'd like to see and compare.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Two years later.... well I'm in the process of fixing mine. The storage bin on mine is cracked to Tom. I bet mine is worse. I have about a 1 inch gap across the rear half. It's so bad that the whole thing moves around if you pull or push on it. So I installed my stereo back in this after deciding to keep the truck a little longer. And since my new stereo comes equipped with a USB connection for Ipod usage (I don't have an Ipod, I'm a droid guy) I decided to re-due my past wires better and cleaner. My deck normally has the USB connection from the back side to clean up the face of the radio of wires. So I found a USB that is surface mounted. Drilled a hole in my holly cubby box and my mess is all gone. I also went and installed my CB unit inside that box. It works better when you don't see things in plain site.

I like this post B. Funny thing is that I don't even have a sticker on my truck.... I just know where to put my shifter. Dave can chime in here.....

Good work Brenton. Been wanting to have a solid mounting surface (or surfaces) for a "Ram Mount" Iphone or Droid phone, and GPS e.g. Garmin GPSMap62st on my 04 DII (perhaps other owners e.g. D1, DII, RRC... maybe interested also).

Here's an idea for you Pedram if your fab time permit. Does it make sense and can you fab a back plate and top plate to provide a more solid mounting surface for a phone and GPS - see pic 1. Edges for top plate needs to be rounded and clean to prevent cuts. Open to other suggestions also.

Like to be able to bolt on a Iphone car mount (pic 2) on one side, and GPS car mount (pic 3) on the other side unto this place.

I was thinking of using the "No drill cradle Ram Mount" (cost $80) that connects the the existing seat floor bolt for larger devices e.g. Ipad or tablet (pic 4), but if space permits, I can just use a cradle mount for $30 and mount it on this place.

What do you think?

Yes I can. That's such a easy part to fab up. Would be stable for small things. But does that get in your way when you are driving? I would think you would catch or bump that bracket with your hands.

The seat bracket idea is great. Better for bigger objects. Out of the way for the driver. Little more bulky but works.

Two years later.... well I'm in the process of fixing mine. The storage bin on mine is cracked to Tom. I bet mine is worse.
Huh?

When I last had mine out I noticed the screw mounts are like "feet" and consequently all of the pressure is on those two feet. So I made a small bock of wood the thickness of the gap and cut two holes for the feet so the bottom of the cubby fits flush with the block.. solid now!

http://www.owenfotos.com/Toms-Stuff/Rover/Yaesu-FT-8800r-Install-in/i-28g6pt4/A

:-)

Archived