Official - death valley itinerary and poll

I finally have created the information about the trip and have a draft powerpoint. Please note the other trip leaders are reviewing, and this draft will change, but I thought this would be useful for those of you who want to start your planning.

I wanted to also let you know on the $$ side you should plan on bringing some extra cash. Specifically, there is a $20 per vehicle Park Entrance Fee, a $5 per vehicle camping fee at our last camp, a $15 per person and $9 per person charge if you want to have a steak dinner and a bacon and eggs breakfast at our final nights camp in Gold Point -- where we will be spending Friday the 13th amidst reports of Paranormal activity! You will also notice that they do have cabins to rent for the evening -- if you are interested make your own arrangements directly with Sheriff Stone (Herb). Children under 6 eat free, and kids under 11 eat for half price.

David Bregman will be bring a portable toilet. But the wag bags required for it to operate cost $$. So if you are planning on borrowing it (he has offered!) please make sure to bring some $$ to reimburse him for the bags.

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

This promises to be another epic trip - beginning in Trona, those of you who are with us for the whole trip will explore nearly 500 miles of the park over the 7 day trip, with lots of history, backcountry camping, offroading from 200 feet below sea level to 6000 feet above. Hopefully the April showers won't hit -- if they do -- we may need to revise a few of our routes as we will be heading up some pretty narrow canyons.

Here is the list of who I have going so far -- a total of 15 rigs and 35 people.

The entire trip:

1. Chuck Mobraten (with wife Linda, cousin Collin, son Tyler (14), daughter Marla (12). Driving a D2 with 3" lift and winch, amongst other things. Have both HAM and CB. Chuck is KI6WSR, Tyler KI6WSS, Linda KJ6UYC

2. and 3. Kevin Suttle with wife Lucinda, daughters Halle (12), Kylie (9), Maci (7). Driving 2 LR3's, w/Sliders, Ham & CB radios, and Roof top tent among other things

4. Ted Speicher with daughter Ella (5) possibly my son (3). 2000 Range Rover with rack, sliders, armor. CB and HAM - Ted is WJ6SPK.

5. Andy Wood, wife Cyndy and our son Taylor (age 8). D2 with winch and lots of mods. CB

6. Dan Harris - Solo '91 RRC with lockers F/R, LT230, 3" lift on 33" tires, winch, CB and Ham and Mandolin

7. Colin Brown -Paul, Paul's girlfriend Jaime and most likely her son Aden (almost 5 by then) - RR Classic with lots of mods, HAM and CB

8. David Bregman - TWallis (8), Sam (5) -winch, HAM, CB, satellite phone

First half only, leaving on Wednesday (missing Inyo, Chloride, and Gold Point camps)

9. Rob Gardner-Black - with daughter Isabella (9), RR modified - Ham and CB

10.Michael Beaver - Solo Pregnant Penguin (00' D2 with 3" lift, 31" tyres, dual battery, CB and HAM, Camp Chef Stove/Oven, 86qt Body Box. Beaver is KJ6OIV

11. Jen - with two boys (6 and 8) - LR3 with CB , also a SPOT device

Please answer the attached poll so we can give the Sheriff at Gold Point an accurate dinner count for the final nights dinner.

I've attached most recent GPX files - one for the Geocaches and one for the Waypoints. Tried to upload a Garmin POI file I created (a way to store Geocaches without using up Waypoints) but couldn't make it work..

An update to our list. Tricia can not make it due to work - therefore it will be me, Wallis and Sam. We will be there for the ENTIRE trip though!.

For GoldPeak (to clarify my vote) I will cook for Wallis and Sam, so only one Steak dinner - three breakfasts.

David

P.S.

To add to the list of info on the PPT. I have a winch, will have Ham and CB and have a Satellite phone - I no longer have unlimited service (like I used to) but it is only around $1.99/minute for use. I will give people the number if they want. It is mounted in my rig. It is with GlobalStar, so the service is offline 10-15 minutes each hours while they add new satellites.

I will also be bringing my portable PET toilet - we should co-ordinate to make sure we have enough Wag bags - I can purchase them and have people pitch in, or people can bring their own.

(CHUCK - Let me know if you want to move this to the other thread)

-d

David - Wag bag thing is a good idea. Why don't you post up what you think each person should pay for use of a wag bag, and we will make the honor system work so that people contribute for the use of your toilet. There are some dry camp spots where I know it will be appreciated!

Also, I talked to Sherrif Stone last night. It is 60 miles to the nearest gas station from Gold Peak so we will need to watch gas. He has extra he will sell for $5 per gallon though in an emergency.

Also kids under 6 can eat for free. Kids under 11 get their meals for half price.

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL GPX FILE - JUST KSUTTLE's TAKE

Attached is a modified version of Chuck's official GPX file. I've added TRACKS so that it will work with GAIA GPS app for IOS. I've also "fixed" a few entries that had apostrophes (') hidden in them and were preventing appropriate import.

-Kevin

What time are people leaving from the bay area tomorrow. The Shuttle Suttle is aiming for a 12 noon departure from Tracy CA.

(which realistically means 1pm). We will head down 5 to Bakersfield.

From a local friend in Bakersfield, I've been told NOT to take hwy 178. Too curvy and long. Instead take 58 to 14 to get to Ridgecrest. GPS will say this is longer, but it is much faster.

178 is very pretty for sure, we were towed through there when the disco broke down in death valley the first time. The other route would definitely quicker though.

We will be leaving around 9 PM, so i don't think we will be rolling with with anyone else...

When you wait til the last minute to load rigs, you get hit with thunder and lighting ad hail. Blast it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4cc94cfd-49a9-ea75.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4cc94cfd-49cb-0888.jpg

We are leaving at around noon from Bay area, right now anyway. I will be in a convoy with Dan Harris, if he makes it in time!

Still not packed, we are notoroiously last minute.

Spoke to Sheriff Stone last night, he told me showers may or may not be available. Also checked weather -- saw a high of 95 degrees -- but the Sherriff said it dropped down to 20' overnight in Gold Peak. So bring both warm and cold stuff. And don't forget the gas!

Archived