2012 "End of the World" Maya Rally: Team NCLR

Anyone following the thread on Expo re: Dec 2012 "End of the World" (EOW) Maya Rally: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71906-Who-would-be-interested-in-a-2012-quot-End-of-the-World-quot-Maya-Rally

I know we tried to put a trip to Baja last year, but was postponed due to safety/security concerns.

To me the idea of large numbers of Overlanders heading to S. America doesn't seem too scary now (safety in numbers I suppose) but what do I know! Anyone interested?

Brainstorming here: thinking of breaking down the trip. Start with two Land Rovers (buddy system) and many drivers/co-drivers in the team + gears that will fit.

First team will drive from from the Bay Area to Baja and end up in La Paz. Adventure in itself. Team 1 to meet team 2 in La Paz. Lil Celebration, high-fives, well wishes, and then hand over the keys. Team 1 fly back.

Team 2 takes the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan and drive thru Central Mexico down to Chiapas, and then pass thru Guatamala and then finally Belize. Optional for team 1 to fly into Belize, meet team 2 and all the other EOW participants, and celebreate EOW Party Dec 21. Decide who will drive vehicle back to the Bay Area.

If your time is limited, you can be either in team 1 or 2 leg of the trip, or if your time/money permits - do the entire trip and be part of both team 1 and 2.

I'd be willing to offer my Range Rover Classic as one of the two vehicles needed; just need drivers and shared cost of time, parts, fuel and enthusiam in the spirit of adventure!

Here's the official website (still ramping up w/details): http://www.mayarally.com/

And here's the Youtube video teaser: [video=youtube;1HJ1slD7qrQ]

Oh man, that looks very cool. Would love to be part of it, but won't know until sometime next fall. Obviously, depends on time off and logistics for the trip. (I am still bummed we postponed the Baja trip last year...)

If the world is ending Dec 21st and we are stuck in Belize, my wife won't be too happy...

If the world is ending Dec 21st and we are stuck in Belize, my wife won't be too happy...

Funny, my wife said she wouldn't mind being stuck in paradise before the world end. I said "let's all go".

Then she asked about shower and bathroom. I said "limited".

She said nevermind. Lol.

I was bummed also about postponing the Baja trip last year. Mixed emotions; seems once you are in La Paz or near Cabo San Lucas, no known incidents. It's getting pass the northern part of Baja: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Someone told me that if I think it will be a problem traveling, don't go; I'll just ending up feeling paranoid, not enjoy the trip and possible getting into trouble. That was my feeling last year. I am warming up now and outlook changing.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived