Golden Gate's 75th Anniversary in May

We're already in May and since we have not heard from John, let's X is out of our plan for a LR Club get together on the 75th Anniv of GG. Take a break since May is relatively busy w/the wine drive last wknd, Pismo the following week and then I am running Bay to Breakers. Need the rest.

Just an FYI, I was actually there for the 50th Anniversary celebration, yes, 25 years ago...

Most everyone took public transportation to get to SF and the bridge because EVERYTHING is closed to traffic. We were on BART around 4 am, then bus to the bridge and they had a walk across the bridge as the bridge was closed to vehicles. But the planning was extremely poor, so once everyone was on the bridge and and you get to the other side, everyone turned around and it became complete gridlock! Thousands of people stuck on the bridge for hours. The weight was so great, the bridge acutally bowed downward in the middle! (a bit scary actually)

I am sure it won't be so disorganized this year. But I really don't think it will be a good 'vehicle-centered' event. It would be great to meet up with a group from NCLR and do the walk, but I don't think we will be able to park anywhere close to the bridge. I haven't read up on hwo it will be organized this year though. Just my 2 cents...

Wow, 25 years flashback. I was in college when GG turned 50, and living in a dormatory in San Francisco at that time; my college room-mate and I rode our bike to the GG. Packed I recall.

Yeah, GG turning 75 is not suited for vehicle centered event; I was thinking more in passing and then ultimately head to Bodega Bay for the main event. But if we don't have a access to go 4wheeling and lunch @ Bodega Bay, no go. Plenty to do w/future planned trips.

Archived