Lost Coast Anyone

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two Josh, Jen and Sas + family are in. Awesome.

Anyone else? Carlos are you still interested given the dates? Would be awesome.

As far as time commitment, plan on leaving Friday morning (being a holiday - let's leave early), meet @ the Wailaki campground, get there early enough so we can do some recce trips, and have a nice camp fire/dinner Friday night.

Saturday will be mostly drive time to get up further north of Shelter Cove and exloring trails along the way, let's try to make it to Light House road where the Lost Coast Vineyard, and Gold Coast Coffee Roastery near the ocean. Also we need to decide on campground up in that area for Sat night camping.

Sunday breakfast and then headback home by lunch time. Plan on being back early eve Sunday.

SNAP. a three day weekend? WHAT? we might actually be able to make this....holy smokes. Is this a LWB no sliders trip or a SWB full protection trip?

LWB=No Problem. Sliders? If there's lots of rain between now and then...i would remove them, otherwise fine.

So, i think My Brother may be riding shotgun with me. He has been bugging me to go on a trip for years. He's in the Navy and between him being deployed or me not going on many trips our schedules just don't jive. SO, if he can get Friday off, we are both in.

Anyone know what the best maps are to get for the area and where to get them? I've never been up there and want to check it out a bit before we go.

And...If there is a convoy, when and where is going to take place?

What freeway do you take up and what town is it close to so that I have a better idea for time and distance. Is it usually muddy, rocky, fire roads what is the terrain do we need anything extra ie fuel, water fire wood, is the camping primative or a actual camp ground?

The trail is just a fire road. Nothing technical. If it's raining or wet, the clay soil turns pretty greasy. Similar to a mud day at Hollister. An AT tire should be fine. By time we hit a trail, the entire group will be together so you don't have to worry about getting into a situation without help. Last year was dry so there no need to even drop it into 4wd.

Camping is semi-primitive. Vault toilets and potable water. Paved parking with dirt camping areas. Pretty posh IMO.

Crystal,

Go to Google Maps and input Vacaville, Ca. and Garberville, Ca. It will recommend Hwy20 to 101 for you. I don't know hwy20 at all, but I imagine it's pretty curvy and slow compared to the alternate route. I would recommend 80 to 37 to 101 for you. It's your call. The google map will at least give you an idea of where we intend to go. This is pretty far up the Northern California Coast along hwy101. Most Bay Area peeps will caravan. Keep watching this thread and more info will unfold. The real "Trip" doesn't start until we hit camp at Wailaki Campground.

Archived