NCLR Planned and Proposed Trips for 2012

Crystal, it's poss to do a Ski/Snow Boarding and Snow Camping trip wknd of March 24; let me look into that wknd; I am also looking @ the wknd of March 3 or 10th but your husband Soren won't be back till 12th - right.

General plans are to leave the Bay Area in the morning Saturday, spend a day @ Bear Valley Ski Resort, whether you want to ski, snowboard or just hang-out @ the lounge; and then head back, (no camping fee) find a forest road where can camp overnight, setup our camp fire, dinner, tent, and over night camping. Pack and head back home after breakfast.

Lift tickets @ Bear Valley are reasonable: $62 for adults full-day, $52 half-day adult, $49 for teens to young adults 13-19, $19 for kids between 6-12, and $5 for 5 and under. $25 for seniors and active military person.

Jen, agree w/lower section of the Lost Coast. Seems a lot more time was spent driving on-road to get to the upper section and then very lil time on off-road trails. That would be great if you want to co-lead; anyone else wants to lead with Jen? I can step back and just help as needed. If you co-lead, big favor to ask, can you write the trip report (smile)? Thanks!

Vs the lower section; Usal Rd is gread; seems more of the trip waslarger portion of the trip was spend off-road and more wild life vs upper region.

That would be interesting. I don't think we had an NCLR trip to that Ridge. Been to Bodie and I think it would be a worthwhile trip if you can plan and make it happen. Sounds good Dave!

I'm down for the lost coast too...I have yet to be on any trips so I don't think I'm qualified to co-lead...but once I go on one or two I would love to help. I like Jen would be down for a weekend trip for a short drive from the bay area. Pismo sounds good to me too. I don't know if there are any plans for day trips around the bay area too...but I would also be down for that.

Lost Coast sounds great. From the sat view, it looks like there are a few spurs on the lower run that we've never hit. Might be worth looking into.

I'd be willing to possibly lead a Black Rock trip again this year if there is enough interest from those that have never been.

I'd also like to see about hitting a few relaxing weekend runs up in the Sierra during the summer and fall. I've got a ton listed in some books, but have never explored. I met a Jeeper at work and she gave me some ideas for some trails above Pinecrest.

We finally got the trailer wiring kit for our LRs, so we're hoping to hook up the jetski trailer and hit some lakes this summer too...if we actually get any rain to fill the lakes. :-)

I know of a little lake just north of Truckee, white rock lake. It's not too tough a drive in but if you did it fri night for the added challenge and drove out sun it's got good fishing hiking and relaxing! I'm going to be hitting this up sometime this spring/summer as a weekend trip and would be happy to lead.

I know of a little lake just north of Truckee, white rock lake. It's not too tough a drive in but if you did it fri night for the added challenge and drove out sun it's got good fishing hiking and relaxing! I'm going to be hitting this up sometime this spring/summer as a weekend trip and would be happy to lead.

I haven't been east of Sacramento, I'm down. I just need to get my own fishing gear.

And Ron- yeah after the 12th of March, he'll be here. But it's a military hop...

• 2 weeks later...
Well Guys and Gals my last hoorah! was the Rubicon and I cut it close... I got a real 8-5 job and am loving it so no trips for me next year except don't forget the National Rally is in Moab next September and I plan to attend.

See ya'll Saturday.

Come out come Nathan and play in the Rubicon. Scheduled Sept 12-14.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to take a moment and thank the NCLR membership for making the 2012 Meeting of the Members a great success. Thank you to Enrique and Carlos for opening up Mexxi's early in the morning to host the swap meet, make breakfast available to the members and to keep us out of the classic Land Rover weather. It was a surreal feeling to be standing in the doorway and realize that for that moment, the virtual clubhouse that is our forums and website was represented in person.

Thanks go to Jim for showing up early to organize the handouts and the MoM giveaway bags! I suspect those will be seen on many a trip and MORG.

I think the longest traveled member was once again Rupert down from parts north. The most heavily in need of parts for Death Valley was Colin! There was time to socialize NOT among the Rovers and I overheard many ongoing conversations as members new and old reconnected. Chuck handled the drivers meeting for Death Valley up by the counter to ensure a successful trio once again this year.

Thank you to the members who voted, participated and stayed to not only observe but participate in the Board meeting towards the end of the day. Board elected, officers placed and a bright year full of ideas and energy is already in full swing.

The Meeting of the Members 2012 continued the great traditions started so long ago in Walnut Creek at the pizza place where the our founding members came together to decide to make something great. Looking back and forward, I know I have found somewhere I belong.

Until the dust settles and I can see you on the trail, Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Not looking good for a Blue Lakes/Deer Valley trip this year...the trail's been closed:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldorado/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5362068

Slickrock is still open but it's hardly worth a trip all the way up there for that one short trail. I like to combine them. Maybe next year it'll reopen...

Mine too. Let's get involved in the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement SEIS (begins May 2012 to April 2013) where the public can put their inputs and can be involved in shaping the solution: more details to come in the FS website.

In the meantime, the closures will reamin in effect for 1 year until the judge makes his final decision. I am afraid if we don't get involved or at least try, will see these trails permanently closed and that would be a big lost to all of us.

I believe in balance; we have to protect our environment, but if the representation is one sided without inputs from you, me and us from OHV enthusiast side, will see more of our trails being closed. Anyone know Aldo Leopold:

Anyways, here's FS Q&A: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5362065.pdf and the 42 Routes temp closed: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5362062.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Lost Coast is a popular request; let's make it happen again this year.

Updated the 1st page (TT) adding Wine Drive May 6 and possible NCLR Volunteer for Mendo Rally. Pre-party (optional) on Friday Aug 2, and then volunteer days - need Land Rover drivers w/ham radio to help with course monitoring. Non-ham radio operators are needed also and can help @ the start of the course.

Check with the Rangers; early this season the trail is not maintenance and depending on what came thru e.g. storm, rain.... it can be passable or bring a chain saw. Have fun!

Just got back from lost coast the Usula Rd is closed from Usula Beach they don't know when it will open again. Funny how the ranger said it was open when we saw him at the entrance on HWY 1 then got to the gate and it was closed. I think we need to get a state knox key for those kind of trips. Ran into some motorcycle guys and said that the trail was fine and they don't know why it was closed.

Archived