Our new Rubicon Trip dates are from Sept 15-18

Ok, it's official and just around the corner this month; our new Rubicon Trip dates are from Sept 15-18

Quick Summary of the Trip:

Trail is the world famous Rubicon: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/index.html

Trail Rating: 10

Lenght: 22 miles

Trail Leader: Nathan

Trip Leader/Planner and Tail Gunner: Me (RRC)

Attendees pending to confirm:: Nathan/RRC (Confirmed), Ron/RRC (confirmed), Rod/D1 (confirmed), Yubert/D2 Guest (Confirmed), Nigel/D1, Colin/RRC (Confirmed), Lutz/D2...... And co-pilots: Dave, Brenton...

Dates: Sept 15-18 (Thursday nite-Sunday afternoon)

Agenda/Itinerary:

Optional camping near the Staging Area (Loon Lake side) on Thursday nite Sept 15 otherwise meet us bright and early near the Gate Keeper Friday Sept 16.

Early Friday morning Aug 12 "Ru-Beacon" (catchy - lol) breakfast aka beacon and eggs planned. Go thru the Gatekeeper (what's left of it today - lol), play around @ Granite Bowl, thru Wentworth Springs, Little Sluice. Depending on far we get that day, we may camp near Spider Lake or Buck Island Lake.

Saturday Sept 17 - wrap up Big Sluice, drive on the Rubicon Bridge (poser kodak momemt -lol), and camp @ Rubicon Springs. Big dinner planned; hopefully I can twist DiscoChef to cook up some high altitude steak fajitas.

Sunday Sept 18 - want to be in the position early Sunday morning to get everyone thru Cadillac Hill (one of the most diff part of the trail). Want to be in the Staging Area onthe Hwy 89/Tahoma side by lunch time, to air-up, have lunch, and prepare for our return home. Refuiling in the Lake Tahoe area or I80.

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):

1) Solid recovery points both front and back,

2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,

3) Sliders and Diff Guards,

4) And atleast 1 rear locker is req but having rear and front lockers will make it less harder on your vehicle. If you are running lockers, should upgrade to HD axles otherwise carry spares.

5) Upgrade your rear trailer arms if applicable

6) HD front bumper (want something solid that can take a beating, and don't go bumper less and make your radiator take the beating)

7) Winch. We maybe able to do away w/non-winch bumper as long as we have equal non-winch and winch vehicle. Need recovery strap for sure.

8) CB; Ham operator a plus.

9) 1 spare fuel can w/fuel (re-fueling is avail before your turn-off to the Ice House Rd on Thursday, and re-fueling station on Lake Tahoe side on the return trip but bring one spare just in case)

Other rules:

- No drinking alcohol and driving on the trail (save it for camp/when keys put away), need to read and abide by this: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/50-ft-trail-easement.html

- Pack it in/pack it out (Wag Bags a must, and BYOB - bring your own bucket - he! he!)

Other Considerations:

- keep your CG as low as possible - I dont' recommend an RTT setup on the trail - tent it or tent cot.

- Will be a lot of rock stacking, hiking, altitude above 5000 ft...

- Let me know if you are diabetic or special health conditions.

We have GPS coords, more details.... if any interested; PM me; this will be a fun trip!

Also have a vehicle wrenching day schedule last day of July (last min work need/save you on labor/help w/installs - join the fun (optional)), and shake down/test your mods the weekend before the trip @ Hollister SVRA.

Pictures from our last trip: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=178167

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure you order what you need from Justin @ Lucky8 our official tripparts/mods supplier on Rubicon!

http://www.lucky8llc.com/

I am not planning to be @ the MORG this month but planning on taking my RRC for dry run/shake down before our trip to the Rubicon the 15th-18th. Looking to do this week.

Also hoping to take my ham radio test next wknd and when my name shows up in the FCC ULS database, I will be a ham radio user for this trip. We need at least another ham radio user! Bare min: need CB radio tune for channel 7.

Let's also start putting things together this week:

- Firm up attendees

- Identify anyone else going and need help with getting their truck ready?

- Caravan? We have Nathan/Lutz coming from Central Coast, Yubert from S. Cal, and the rest from the SF/East Bay Area. I am planning to leave Thursday morning after breakfast, and planning to camp near the Gate Keeper Thursday night.

- Camping/food plans. We won't have any other sponsors for food this year so BYOB. I am planning to cook some ru-bacon breakfast Friday morning so if you want to join in, someone can make the toast, coffee.... and pitch in.

- Think about emergency plans: the what if you break this and that... spare parts to bring (coordinate common to all, and common to another model in the group)

- I have AAA w/200 mile towing; be glad to offer assistance but vehicle needs to be towed to the nearest service road for AAA to proving towing service (either tow broken vehicle back to Loon Lake, or near Hwy 89 depending on which direction is best based on the situation)

Any other suggestions/concerns/comments: post up!

I will be out of town this weekend; promise to take my two boys to University Studios.

Before I hit the Rubicon:

- Need to take the RRC for an overall mechanical inspection/look over. Have spent building it up, and time and effort put in making the RRC ready for the Rubicon a few years ago, this will be its 2nd tour of the Rubicon, so doesn't take much effort to get it ready, but always good to have it checked brake lines, coolant hoses, any physical signs of fatigue in the suspension/frame, motor & transfer case mounts, etc...

- Install 2 meter ham radio; hopefullly get it completed by Friday; will still leave the CB unit in.

- Want to do my pre-packing early next week; lay out items I will need for the trip on the garage floor; be mindful of spares and recovery gears to bring (check with my fellow RRC owners that spares parts they are bringing (Colin and Nathan) also recover gears.

Suggest the DII owners get together (Yubert, Lutz), and DI (Nigel and Besa) also re: spare parts to carry.

My New parts/spares/HD components

I am running a Detroit Truetrac in the front and full Detroit locker in the back, and GBR axle shafts both front and rear. Gearing is GBR 4.14. Tom Woods front driveshaft. Probably weakest link will be the rear driveshaft (bringing a spare).

Anyone still running spare 3rds might want to bring a complete spare!

HD tie steering rod. Weakest link (by design) are the tie-rods (will bring spares and tools tie rod remover).

Brakes are slotted and stainless steel all around and will see how much wear on the pads/rotors during the inspection.

Tires are 33s BFG MT KM2s on steel wolf rims; will bring full spare 33s, ARB tire repair kit, and CO2 tank set for 175 psi; trying out Extreme Outback's product "Bead Buster" on this trip. Also will bring spare lug nuts.

Radiator was rodded w/all new cooling hoses. Will bring radiator leak repair kit, hose repair kit and spare hose clamps just incase.

Rear main leak fixed last year (new seal)

Both high and low pressure power streering hoses replaced. Will bring a spare high pressure hose. Anyone bringning a hose barb kit?

New starter installed, but will bring a spare (not too bulky to carry).

Rear trailing arms are heavy duty. Anyone bringing a small bench clamp that can go in the receiver hit for bending metal back into shape?

Will bring spare exhaust hanger isolators; one of them sheared off, and good thing I carried spares on the trip to the Dusy Irshim last year.

Sears Platinum Diehard Marine battery is 3 years old; I don't drive the RRC daily so dropped off the battery @ Sears yesterday to get it fully tested and charged; akssed the sales manager that if it fails the test, go ahead and replace it w/a new battery (same model) since still under the 3 year replacement warranty program. Will see and be picking up either fully charged battery or replace.

Box of electronic spare parts I normally carry around: relays, fuses..., and a bag full of other small spares e.g. extra fuel pump, water pump...

Others Gears

Will be using a tent cot for this trip (plus sleeping bag)

ARB Fridge, 5 gallon water supplies, head lamp and spare flash light, wag bags and other person hygiene stuff.

Jet Boil for making coffee, and small stove for cooking meals. Reminds me to pick-up spare fuel canisters.

Food supplies for camping Thursday night all the way to Sunday lunch. Will bring spare dry food incase need to sit it out longer on the trail in case of emergencies; also First Aid kit; hopefully not have to use them.

Will bring the SPOT and will ask for NCLR member to be a contact on SPOT before the trip.

And AAA card w/200 mile towing service. Just need to get the broken rig on a service-able road and wait for AAA truck. Again, hopefully we don't have to use it.

Also don't forget:

Camera/spare batteries/SD card

Deet Bug Spray just in case!

Sunscreen, and a hat

Cold weather clothing

A spill kit (see the DOT Spill page)

Bottled water

Snack food

Swim Wear (will be cold but up to you if you want to jump in Buck Island Lake)

Handiwipes for everything

Extra sunglasses

Solar shower; it's dusty!

Ratchet straps and/or bungee cords

Extra clothes

Lounge chairs

A shovel

- Caravan Plan/Meeting Point

- Re-fueling plan (or bring one spare fuel canister full)

- Meal Plans. Anyone for Ru-beacon breakfast Friday morning? Or BYO.

- Go over the trail, and hand signals/spotting techniques during drivers meeting Friday morning

- Ea person should have a copy of this map or your own of the Rubicon Trail: http://rubicontrail.org/map-randy.pdf (we will be camping near the trail head (red line on the map) on Loon Lake)

- No camping fee Thursday night near Loon Lake, and also Friday night as we get closer to Buck Island; however, on our last night camping Saturday @ Rubicon Springs, there is a $15 fee. Bring cash.

- Communication Plan (ham radio/CB)

- Emergecy Plans (need ea to provide emergy contacts just in case)

- And ea to read the Rubicon Trail Rules and be responsible for following the rules (can't be more than 25 ft from the left or 25 ft from the right of the center line of the trail otherwise potential $275 min fee): http://www.rubicon-trail.com/50-ft-trail-easement.html

Seems to be no fire restrictions @ the El Dorado National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/conditions/fire-restrictions/

And none at Tahoe National Forest either: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsbdev3_028201&navid=160000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110517&position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Tahoe National Forest- Passes

So good to setup camp fires but need to pick-up camp fire permit for the group

Hi Ron,

Working on my LWB now!

Still have 1 stock right front CV and halfshaft in the car but will bring a few extras just in case and everything else is good to go! My CB still has Range issues and perhaps we could mess with it on the trail seeing as you have appointed me "trail leader" very nice of you but I opt out on towing anyone if it arrises ha ha!

I will bring oak wood for 2 nights as we/(could be doing this solo as Arthur has prior commitments he is trying to change) plan on staying @ Mark Pilkington's Thursday night and meet you early @ the Gatekeeper (what time).

Make sure you Rear rubber driveshaft coupler guys have a spare and the D2's carry an extra thermostat.

Ron is it warmer up there than the Dusy? if so I may Tent it.

Any Beer of choice? I was planning on bringing Boddington's and Murphy's ????

Cheers!

Nathan

I think were going to meet up somewhere by Rons house.Last time we meet here 38.021542,-122.261815 . Would that work for everyone? Also Nathan what time are you planning to leave?

Hope you get all things sorted for the trip. We need you Nathan.

Yes, bring your CB and we can work on it Thursday night. If anyone has a spare CB to lend to Nathan, would be appreciated!

Too bad Pacificos don't come in cans - risk of breaking the bottles (lol); I will also bring plenty of Boddington's.

It's warmer I think @ the Rubicon; lower peak elevation diff by 3000 - 5000 ft Rubicon vs 8000 ft peak @ Dusy

Since you are bringing wood, I will donate the beacon for our "Ru-beacon Breakfast" Friday morning to get us started and proper Rubicon breakfast; if someone can make coffee, and then another make toast and eggs - it will be like the Four Seasons @ the Rubicon. Ha! Ha!

Hi Ron,

Working on my LWB now!

Still have 1 stock right front CV and halfshaft in the car but will bring a few extras just in case and everything else is good to go! My CB still has Range issues and perhaps we could mess with it on the trail seeing as you have appointed me "trail leader" very nice of you but I opt out on towing anyone if it arrises ha ha!

I will bring oak wood for 2 nights as we/(could be doing this solo as Arthur has prior commitments he is trying to change) plan on staying @ Mark Pilkington's Thursday night and meet you early @ the Gatekeeper (what time).

Make sure you Rear rubber driveshaft coupler guys have a spare and the D2's carry an extra thermostat.

Ron is it warmer up there than the Dusy? if so I may Tent it.

Any Beer of choice? I was planning on bringing Boddington's and Murphy's ????

Cheers!

Nathan

I have heard from Lutz and I'm officially his co-pilot for the trip. We'll be talking this weekend to go over equipment and stuff.

Wohoo! Good to hear your are coming Brenton! Another veteran Rubicon trail blazer going on this trip.

I think were going to meet up somewhere by Rons house.Last time we meet here 38.021542,-122.261815 . Would that work for everyone? Also Nathan what time are you planning to leave?

Sounds good. Will talk before next Thursday.

Brenton can leave his vehicle safe/sound infront of my house!

Is he picking you up or do you need a ride up there?

Colin, I will PM my address if you want to meet @ my house on Thursday also. C yah. Glad you, Lutz and Brenton can make this trip!

Lutzi,

I was going to call you tomorrow or Friday but since you posted here I think we are/should leave about noon time on Thursday?

I wanted to ask Mark if you could shack @ his house Thurs Night if you convoy with us but if you have to pick Brenton up it may be difficult.

Boy I wish they had Bacon over here like they do in England you guys don't know what you are missing ha ha!

Oh! Ron bring me a white cane too as I have never even been to Tahoe yet alone the Rubicon :D

What is the Truck/head count now?

Looking forward to this.

Nathan

Ok!

Pertinent Range Rover Parts

I am bringing a front DC D2 driveshaft and a rear LWB

Spare ABS pump

2 front stock 24 spline CV's

L&R 24 spline front shafts

coolant Hoses top and bottom

Couple of NGK plugs

Spare ignition Rotor

Hub/swivel seals

2 Motor Mts

3 Tie rod ends

1 Thermostat

(do not have a spare coolant reservoir so can someone bring one?)

2 Swivel grease sachet's

Yamalube gasket sealant

Permatex Thread locker

Permatex blue loctite

1 qt Tranny fluid

Lucas Brake Fluid

1 pint P/S fluid

1 qt Mobil 1 10/40

2 qts 90/140 gear oil

Spill container

roll of shop towels

various cotter pins

Bag of nuts/bolts etc

Tools for (almost) every need.

Ratchet straps

wire

Hose clamps

Spare blue ARB hose

Fix it tape

Gorilla tape.

RRC owner: I picked my my Platinum Marine Battery from Sears tonight; charged over night from yesterday, and ready to go. Since I bought it from Sears, no charge for the charge. No pun intended.

D1: Rod from Besa Auto is coming, and he is working on the HG on his D1; the good news is that he owns Besa Auto, mechanic and can get this done in this shop w/no problem before the trip.

D1r: Nigel's truck is ready but need to do a dry run on the trail; test his lockers, etc...

RRCr: Looks like Nathan is ready!

DII: Lutz (co-pilot Brenton) ready.

DII: I will follow-up and call Yubert (coming from S. Cal)

What do you guys think?

Front:

http://images6.cpcache.com/product/571401386v15_480x480_Front_Color-MilitaryGreen.jpg?qv=94

Back:

http://images1.cpcache.com/merchandise/321_480x480_Back_Color-MilitaryGreen.jpg?region=name:BackCenter,id:59354612,w:12,h:12,a:TopCenter

Order it for $33 from Cafe Press now (to allow for shipping) if you want one before the trip: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product2.aspx?number=571401386&utm_medium=cp_social&utm_source=addthis&utm_campaign=CreateAndBuyPDP#.TmhbZ1D1aIY.email

Use coupon code: SELECT25 at check-out and get 25%. Order one for $33 less 25% off plus tax and shipping.

C yah all on the Rubicon Trail. Wohoo!

Damn! I just went to pull the trigger on the order and I would literally have to overnight it for $36 to get to me Thursday and I am leaving noon time so still might not see it! as they won't ship until the 14th:(

So I am going to wait now.

Thanks though Ron.

Damn! I just went to pull the trigger on the order and I would literally have to overnight it for $36 to get to me Thursday and I am leaving noon time so still might not see it! as they won't ship until the 14th:(

So I am going to wait now.

Thanks though Ron.

X2. Sad I could not get these in time.

I know this is kind of late but I'm planning to head up to the Fordyce Trail early Saturday (9/10) morning to test out the Disco with Sasquatch...

We need to make sure that everything is running right before the Rubicon. If anyone wants to join please PM me! We plan to be up at the trail head around 8:30am. This will be a day trip with the hopes to be back in the Bay Area around 5:30pm the same day :)

Nigel

I know this is kind of late but I'm planning to head up to the Fordyce Trail early Saturday (9/10) morning to test out the Disco with Sasquatch...

We need to make sure that everything is running right before the Rubicon. If anyone wants to join please PM me! We plan to be up at the trail head around 8:30am. This will be a day trip with the hopes to be back in the Bay Area around 5:30pm the same day :)

Nigel

We are soooooo ready! Nigel's rig is SICK! Absolutely impressed with how easy he made some the ledge obstacles. ARB's and low gearing are working perfectly!! First timer to Fordyce and I'm very impressed with that trail. Rubicon, here we come!!l

Right on.I cant wait.Pulled the rear seats and started to fill her up with gear.Here is my parts list.Anyone bringing a spare rear drive shaft?

Discovery 2 Parts

Axel front n rear

set of hoses

thermostat

complete 3rd

set of helm's for Drag link and Track rod

u-joint

Air filter

Belt

ARB extra line and splicing kit

equipment

jackstans