Day Trip: Merced River Road

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hwy 4 looks to have lots of options for us... doing some research now...

Ron/Carlos? your call?

I just wrapped up my work cleint call this morning and will call you Michael.

Hwy 4 is another option: Pinecrest Peak trail further out, there's Dodge Ridge Trail below it, and there's Clavey Bridge Road and Lumsden Bridge Road Trails are bit closer vai 120E...

Just got off the phone w/Park Ranger for the Stanislaus National Forest (covering wilderness areas via Hwy 120/4 routes; campgrounds will only allow camp fires as long as we use their camp fire rings (no permit req if using camp fire ring); however, if we camp elsewhere e.g. dispursed camping in the wilderness, there is a high fire restriction going on (as you saw what happen in Briceburg area) and no camp fires allowed period (even with prev issued permit due to the high fire restrictions).

I have another client call to do; Michael and I are scheduled to call/connect @ 1pm; hopefully by then we can collectively decide alt location. So far along Hwy 120/4 area are looking the best options for us.

Spoke to Carlos this morning and he is ready to go at any alt sites. Me too. And looks like Dave, Mark aka drafdog, Micheal and Rob as well.

Will post up alt location soon!

Really appreciate the effort being put into the last minute change, thank you.

<O:p</O:p

Packed and ready to roll - More than happy to try somewhere different :D<O:p</O:p

NP Rob. We're all seem to be flexible, open to change venue... when the situation calls for it and for the pursuit of the great outdoors!

What's the famous slogan from Camel Trophy "One Life Live It"

...where to??

BTW, that link says 2010 permit....so, may not be valid?

AND even with no campfire and high fire restrictions, I believe we need a valid fire permit to even have a stove "fire" in the areas we may be looking at. Just FYI. Carlos/Ron there is a CDF station in Sunol that can/will issue the permits.

Dave is sending me a place he likes that we are going to look at past Dorington? Rob and I will be heading toward Hwy 4 area at 3:45 out of Elk Grove. Once we find a place we will spot messenger Ron so he can post here....

NCLR, Bring it On!

Bring it on alright! You are SPOT on Michael - no pun intended.

Ok, waiting for the SPOT message to get location; will post details tonight. We are still on target to leave Livermore @ 11am tomorrow from Carlo's house (Carlos, PM your address).

And if you are reading this Michael, keep the SPOT on tomorrow, and have your ham radio on; Carlos will try to reach out via ham as we get close to your location.

Same food menu, fun activities; just diff location.

We just planned an NCLR camping trip in one day; how about that folks!

Proposed campsite will be Boards Crossing / Sour Grass Campsite just outside of Dorrington along Hwy4. Great spot. Primitive camping along the Stanislaus River. There is a 1/4 mile section of trail that a stock 4wd vehicle can traverse with decent spotting or experienced driver. Nothing too technical.

3 weeks ago, pinstriping was minimal. Clear trail for the most part. Campsite #1 is pretty small, Campsite #2 will host 12+ rigs and campsite #3 requires crossing the small stream and steep bank which can only hold 4 or so vehicles.

Great river swimming (cold!) and good Rainbow fishing (6-12"). Plenty of sun and shade to accommodate everyone's needs. Let's see if this works...

So my LWB would work, but probably not my little trailer (it may, but it is really not set up for trails yet)....and the SWB would be fine. Hmm... Will talk with the family and see what is up. Maybe a rack change would make this doable as it is one night....

Awesome.

Great communication; use of technology including ham radio, SPOT....; and stepping up to the plate even last min planning. That's how we roll!

As Hannibal would say (with cigar in mouth) "I love it when a plan comes together"

As of 7:18pm, Beaver is well on the way to the Boards Crossing option. As you come down a long grade on Hwy4 outside of Arnold, you'll see Dorrington. Look for Boards Crossing Rd (FR5N75) to the right. Stay on the paved rd until you cross a bridge. Your immediate left AFTER the bridge is the Sour Grass Day Use Only parking lot. Turn in and look to the right for the sign that says 4WD only trail. Air down and proceed.

Google Map input - Boards Crossing Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I'll continue posting up as soon as Beaver shoots me the thumbs up from the SPOT unit. His ETA should be no later than 8:00pm tonight.

Archived