Day Trip: Merced River Road

Camping is first come first serve.

There are 3 campgrounds in the area; start of school for most so don't anticpate it to be busy.

Also no fire permit req as long as we use the fire ring provided in each camp site

More info here: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedrivertrail.html

We can bring BBQ grill for those want to cook; this way folks don't have to bring your own.

If everyone bring some firewood, will be enough for Sat nite camp fire/marshmellow for the kiddos.

As far caravan time, my wife has work-out from 9-10am and we can leave soon after; pretty flexible.

We should leave no later than 10-11am in the East Bay (takes about 2 1/2 hours from Livermore to Briceburg) so we can get settled @ camp and still plenty of day light for the kiddos run around before dinner.

Ok, looks like we are in. Couple questions. I will be bringing the LWB, family and a small camp supplies trailer.

So, that is 4. Do we need to make reservations or ? Looks like 20 LR folks coming, that already will me 3 sites. Hope it is not busy or we may have site issues.

BLM land? Do we need fire permits? If so, I can pop into the CDF and grab one this weekend/week if needed.

As for caravan, we would be in for that. IF we can keep speeds under 65 for me and the trailer. or more for me and Johnny Law. I am 1 mile ish north of 580 at N. Livermore, right by Carlos, and we could either meet at is house (on the street) or we can just take over the cul de sac at my house and stage rovers there.... If anyone thinks that works.

Will keep watch.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would recommend a 1030 meet in Livermore, leave at 11. I would suggest that we know of a secondary camp location just in case we exceed the number of people (as we are looking at about 20 people right now) allowed in 3 sites or in case sites are taken. Then we can just push on with the Rovers and camp.

10-12 noon departure on Saturday morning sounds a little bit late for us. I'd like to get on the road around 8am. Of the 3 sites to choose from, are we just winging it based on availability? Planning on Dublin departure earlier. Talk Roz into skipping the gym. An aggressive trail hike is much more beneficial than a spinning class!!

10-12 noon departure on Saturday morning sounds a little bit late for us. I'd like to get on the road around 8am. Of the 3 sites to choose from, are we just winging it based on availability? Planning on Dublin departure earlier. Talk Roz into skipping the gym. An aggressive trail hike is much more beneficial than a spinning class!!

Lol. Trying to convince Roz and her cult Zumba class and gym-mates to skp class is a losing proposition. We can have two caravans. Early birds w/Dave, and the not so early birds. We are game for leaving our house @ 10am and be @ Livermore area by 11am.

Dont' anticipate a busy wknd/full campgrounds @ Merced River Trail; probably good to have early birds so we can secure our spots.

Have a call out to Carlos to discuss pot luck/Chef Meal Saturday. Can't wait.

Well dear friends, ready to get on the road?

The dinner for Saturday night will be à la Mexicana. Here is the menu:

Appetizers:

Assorted cheese plate (gouda, chèvre, brie) with crackers

Shrimp ceviche

Main course:

Oaxacan mixiote wrapped in banana leaf (choice of chicken or pork). Prepared with dry peppers and achiote salmuera (sauce) and accompanied with Spanish rice and pinto beans.

Suggestions: Goes well with red wine.

Dessert:

Banana flambé

Well dear friends, ready to get on the road?

The dinner for Saturday night will be � la Mexicana. Here is the menu:

Appetizers:

Assorted cheese plate (gouda, ch�vre, brie) with crackers

Shrimp ceviche

Main course:

Oaxacan mixiote wrapped in banana leaf (choice of chicken or pork). Prepared with dry peppers and achiote salmuera (sauce) and accompanied with Spanish rice and pinto beans.

Suggestions: Goes well with red wine.

Dessert:

Banana flamb�

Good talking to you Carlos today re: prep/meal for this trip. Menu sounds fantastic. My wife and I can bring a case or 12 bottles of our favorite French Bordeaux wine to share w/this meal as you suggested Red Wine. 2008 vintage, easy to drink French wine, and goes with about any food. 12 bottles should allow 2-3 full regular glass servicing for 20 adults during the meal. And will bring drinking water for folks who prefer non-alchoholic beverage. Actually Carlos, this meal your are preparing is gonna make this trip worth while going.

Speaking of adults, Carlos and I talked it and this meal is for the adults. Parents if you are bringing kids, bring their meal e.g. mine are perfectly happy with hot dogs, chips and juice which we will be prepared to bring.

And folks, Carlos and I want everyone to enjoy dinner; if you want to partake or take part of the dinner festivity, your money is not good (lol) here instead you can donate $10-20 per person to NCLR. Just enjoy dinner and wine on us. Donation would be appreciated by the club. Money can go towards running our fine organization.

Or instead of putting $10-20 towards the club and if you want to contribute towards the dinner festivity, we need someone to bring supplies of the following: 1) Pacificos, 2) Blue Moon Beer, 3) non-alcoholic drink e.g. lemonade, 4) lots of firewood for our Sat night camp fire, or 5) supplies to make smoores for both the adults/kiddos attending.

And as ice breakers pre and post dinner, been suggested to me that we play some sort of fun campfire games (clean/fun/games for both adult and kiddos to participate). So stay tuned for details on "Name that Tune" game on Saturday; will play round robin of tunes from: 70s, 80s, 90s and current hits. We won't have any boom boxes to play the tunes, but instead each participating family will need to "humm" the tune (this will be interesting after drinking wine - lol).

Other notes:

- BLM is very concern about broken glass/bottles getting in the river; glass bottles and glass are not allowed near the river so bring your plastic or paper drinking cups. And will need to keep the supplies of beer/wine in the truck (don't leave them sitting around table); just come over and will pour you a drink or two.

- There's a max 8 people/2 vehicles per camp site; est count atleat 10 trucks going so will need about 5 sites. $10 per site fee per day - folks sharing site can split the cost. Pay upon arrival @ thru deposit box (exact change only).

Read the rest of the camp ground rules here: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedrivertrail.html

- I will not bring my gas grill anymore since Carlos is preparing Sat meal and has his own cooking equipment.

- Rest of the meals, BYO lunch and breakfast.

I'm going to leave Friday afternoon if anyone cares to leave then as well..

Mark, camp site is first come, first serve; not sure of reception but call me when you get there and get the scoop on campground/site avail; we will need alteast 5 sites (est 10 trucks coming/max 8 people per site & 2 vehicles).

I can send a message via spot as to which campground we base-camped at.... give me a call ron and we can coordinate.

Rigiht on Michael.

I will PM you my cell # and provider you can put me in the SPOT contact. If you leave early Saturday/part of the 1st caravan, send me a SPOT msg when you get there; I can rely your msg to the "not so early caravan" which I will be a part of.

Mark, camp site is first come, first serve; not sure of reception but call me when you get there and get the scoop on campground/site avail; we will need alteast 5 sites (est 10 trucks coming/max 8 people per site & 2 vehicles).

Hey Ron, I don't have your number.

Good talking to you Carlos today re: prep/meal for this trip. Menu sounds fantastic. My wife and I can bring a case or 12 bottles of our favorite French Bordeaux wine to share w/this meal as you suggested Red Wine. 2008 vintage, easy to drink French wine, and goes with about any food. 12 bottles should allow 2-3 full regular glass servicing for 20 adults during the meal. And will bring drinking water for folks who prefer non-alchoholic beverage. Actually Carlos, this meal your are preparing is gonna make this trip worth while going.

Speaking of adults, Carlos and I talked it and this meal is for the adults. Parents if you are bringing kids, bring their meal e.g. mine are perfectly happy with hot dogs, chips and juice which we will be prepared to bring.

And folks, Carlos and I want everyone to enjoy dinner; if you want to partake or take part of the dinner festivity, your money is not good (lol) here instead you can donate $10-20 per person to NCLR. Just enjoy dinner and wine on us. Donation would be appreciated by the club. Money can go towards running our fine organization.

Or instead of putting $10-20 towards the club and if you want to contribute towards the dinner festivity, we need someone to bring supplies of the following: 1) Pacificos, 2) Blue Moon Beer, 3) non-alcoholic drink e.g. lemonade, 4) lots of firewood for our Sat night camp fire, or 5) supplies to make smoores for both the adults/kiddos attending.

And as ice breakers pre and post dinner, been suggested to me that we play some sort of fun campfire games (clean/fun/games for both adult and kiddos to participate). So stay tuned for details on "Name that Tune" game on Saturday; will play round robin of tunes from: 70s, 80s, 90s and current hits. We won't have any boom boxes to play the tunes, but instead each participating family will need to "humm" the tune (this will be interesting after drinking wine - lol).

Other notes:

- BLM is very concern about broken glass/bottles getting in the river; glass bottles and glass are not allowed near the river so bring your plastic or paper drinking cups. And will need to keep the supplies of beer/wine in the truck (don't leave them sitting around table); just come over and will pour you a drink or two.

- There's a max 8 people/2 vehicles per camp site; est count atleat 10 trucks going so will need about 5 sites. $10 per site fee per day - folks sharing site can split the cost. Pay upon arrival @ thru deposit box (exact change only).

Read the rest of the camp ground rules here: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/mercedrivertrail.html

- I will not bring my gas grill anymore since Carlos is preparing Sat meal and has his own cooking equipment.

- Rest of the meals, BYO lunch and breakfast.

Do you need help with serving supplies stuff?

So my plans opened up and my family and i are able to attend. Yeah!

I will head up on the early side

Oh there will be 2 adults an 8, 5 and 2 year old.

Can't wait.

Looks to be will have atleast 10 trucks coming last cound (let me know if I missed anyone):

Ron + family (4)

Michael B + guest (2)

Rob Gardner-Black + family (4)

Carlos + family (2)

Mark aka drafdog + family (5)

Mark P + guest? (2)

Mike aka Mr Pres + family (4)

Dave + family (4)

Jen + family (3)

Ted + Family (5)

10 trucks, 35 people as of this count (aSoM)

There are 3 campgrounds along the trail; and we have Friday nite settlers (Mark P and Michael B); will need atleast 4-5 sites; plan is for Mark/Michael to scope best campground/sties for the group; first come first service but I don't expect the wknd to be busy so finding spots for all of us is not expected to be a problem.

We have the early caravan on Sat (Dave leading).

Then the mid morning Caravan. Mike and I talked yesterday and we can meet @ Carlos's house between 10:30-11am and leave by 11am. ETA @ camp 1-2pm depending on traffic.

My tel # is in the member contact list if anyone needs to get a hold of me.

Archived