Post Rubicon Carnage Report

So 4 rigs just got off the Rubicon after Jeepers Jamboree.

Franks D90 blew up his front diff, but he aquitted himself by doing the trail in 2WD most of the way.

Tylers buddy Josh broke a leaf spring bolt, had to fab one at Buck Island after limping in with Hex wrench holding things together.

Barry's Jeep -- no issues -- except that the tow truck broke down on the way to the trailer drop off. Later determined to be an empty gas tank. Good thing we had 3 mechanics along to figure that one out!

My disco - broke an unbreakable motor mount -- actually lost a bolt on the trail. Resulted in a chewed up fan shroud until we replaced the bolt with one from a jeep.

And the GMC who rear-ended me on the way home on highway 89? He's talking to the insurance adjustor..

Chuck, you have the motor mounts for Joe (Badfysh) right? How did they hold up without the bolt? Also, how did the new tire carrier hold up with the collision? I got rear ended not long ago, didn't see damage on either vehicle and didn't get any info. The next day I noticed my spare tire is angled down. Grrr. Good luck w/ the insurance.

Thanks for the reporting back Chuck. Post photos when you can. How was the trail condition? Cold or still evidence or snow? Would imagine snow melted by now; also me thinks Rubicon springs water level is higher than normal due to the snow run off (was that water crossing higher now vs last time we went thru in 09).

True that the Gate Keeper is no longer what it used to be (cleared path now)? And Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill - still fun as it was before?

Wow! Exciting stuff even before the event. Rear-ended. Good luck w/the insurance. Glad you and your passenger were ok.

What part of the trail and most importantly what was Frank doing that resulted in blown front diff? Thought he was running ARB and HD stuff? Of course, doesn't mean HD stuff doesn't break.

I had Joe's HD motor mounts for D2; new and sold it to Kimo before even installing it. Saw that when I was comparing the stock ones vs Joe's. Stud vs loose bolts. Good tip. I will pass on to Kimo to make sure to either weld the bolt, and or locktite em.

Trail was tough, but not that bad. A lot more water. Frank blew his diff pulling me off a rock (actually Tyler) when we took the wrong line off the trail. Not a good idea to pull someone out, in reverse.

We used lockers maybe a dozen times. Needed em probably in 2 or 3 spots. The place where you get body damage (Tyler banged up my passenger side doors) is Cadillac Hill - the climb out. After that, I think the whole Andersons rock area is still the worst place for Discos or anyone with 33' tires requiring lots of careful crawling over big rocks.

Tyler ended up driving 75% of the trail -- most of the tough stuff. The only place I took over was the final section of Cadillac -- and that was mainly because we had a big line behind us and there was rollover potnetial that the spotters wanted Dad behind the wheel for. Hopefully Dan and Tyler will soon post up some of his pix

Chuck, Did you get a chance to confirm the changes in the repeater frequencies on the Rubicon? Anything worth mentioning?

I was a bad ham and didn't check. We ran 146.460 all the time, plus I monitored the Jeepers channel (which worked). I did ping the repeater once -- got a repeater response (i think) but no tone-- but didn't raise anybody.

Archived