Minors driving off-road

lilKrawler is going with us on the Rubicon end of July -- and I wanted to get some clarification on the whole issue of unlicensed minors driving vehicles offroad. Since I know others have small children as well - I thought it would be useful to post what I found up on the board. In short, my recap would be:

-Your Rover will be considered an OHV once you are driving it on an "offroad" trail. The Rubicon, despite being officially a highway, is "roughly graded" so is considered an offroad trail. Hollister Park is also an "offroad trail".

-Unlicensed minors (who have never been cited for driving without a license) can drive the Rover offroad

-They need to behave in a safe manner, and be able to reach all controls to operate vehicle safely.

-I also believe a parent/adult needs to have them in line of sight

The section of trail past the kiosk is a county road that they maintain but it is classified as Off-Highway per CVC 38001 because it is "roughly graded".

Any motorized vehicle traveling Off-Highway is an OHV whether it is an ATV or Subaru station wagon. There are almost no difference in requirements for a plated vehicle versus green sticker OHVs.

Yota Up is correct...

If your driving privilege has been suspended it applies on and off highway. If you have never been issued a license, that does not prevent you from operating OHVs. Remember ATVs have their own laws regarding safety certificates for riders under 18.

The section of Ice House Rd. between the Chalet and the Kiosk is considered Highway. It has been designated as combined use that allows OHV's to use this section of highway with the following conditions.

(1) Operate an off-highway motor vehicle on the highway during the hours of darkness.

(2) Operate any vehicle on the highway which does not have an operational stoplight.

(3) Operate any vehicle on the highway which does not have rubber tires.

(4) Operate any vehicle without a valid driver's license of the appropriate class for the vehicle operation in possession.

(5) Operate any vehicle on the highway without complying with the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 16020) of Chapter 1 of Division 7.

REMBER THIS COMBINED USE REQUIREMENTS DO NOT APPLY TO THE TRAIL PAST THE KIOSK.

So long answer short you can have minors without a driver’s license driving any type of vehicle Off-Highway legally. Just remember as Cruzilla posted they have to be able to reach and operate all controls, and operating in a safe manner(non-reckless operation).

-I also believe a parent/adult needs to have them in line of sight

Chuck,

When I checked on this before (and I can't find the reference to quote at the moment, or find anything on Google about it) I believe that a licensed driver must be in the vehicle (possibly in the passenger seat) although as long as everything is 'sensible' I can't see it mattering. I have seen a Ranger issue a ticket at Hollister, but I don't know what particular vehicle code they cited.

Graeme

Archived