Three Amigo's ABS light, Break Light, TC control light

Hello Everyone:

Re: Three Amigo's ABS light, Break Light, TC control light

I'm having a problem with the three idiot lights AKA the three amigos. Ron,( RONCT) if your viewing. I have sent you numerous emails and never received a reply. You had a similar problem. In any event, I need to have the fault reset. Does any know the best place to have this done?

Mark

paloaltofreepress@gmail.com

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intro:

So I bought a rare 95 Disco 5spd and love it. As a new member I know Land Rovers well before this purchase. I have done a lot of work on these inside and out. Thanks mostly to Antonio. Two Range Rovers Classics and a P38 later I meet good old Jarell (aka Disco painter). Fabbed up everything and now I got one myself.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/Land%20Rover/2011-08-15181016.jpg

So back to my problem....

This is the best part. I drive this thing everyday. To work and back. I smell coolant and don't see a leak. I finally decide it's a Land Rover and it needs a check. I pop the "Bonnet" and check the fluids. Of course it's all low. No coolant, one quart low on oil and maybe a pint low on power steering. I top off and find that I need about 1 gallon of coolant... Not good! I drive it around and notice it lacks top end power. I look at the tail pipe as I drive an see white smoke out the tail pipe. Really not good!

The question:

Anyone do a head job at home? If so I need pointers. Parts, prices, deals for broke guys about to get married in Feb??? Should I drive it, fix it, or blow it up? I'm kinda feed up with motor issues after my 4runner (long story in itself).

Call Will Tillery to get a head gasket kit, and bolts. See if you can find a copy of In Search of the Experience dvd. In the extras section John Gadd and Elias C. show an overview of doing the h/g job.

Don't blow it up! As long as you don't overheat the engine you should be fine. Sometimes the heads are warped, so you may want to have them checked to see if they need to be re-surfaced.

But, before doing any of that, try tightening the bolts, sometimes that's all that's needed. Do you hear a waterfall sound behind the dash, or get white steam coming out of the vents? That's a good indicator the h/g are failing. It might be a good idea to replace the t-stat, and any old hoses while you have everything apart.

Good luck!

edit: Do you have a copy of the RAVE manual? There are places online to download it. It's the electronic version of the workshop manual. If you can't get it to work, or will be at the meetup on Saturday, I could burn you a copy on disc.

Okay thanks Brenton. Good info. And I do get that annoying water noise. I didn't think that had anything to do with my motor. I thought that was the gears. Only because the noise was made during movements. No smoke from the vents though. Just from the engine bay. Last time I drive it last night it smoked really bad after I parked it and then it sounded like a leak occured. To much pressure? I guess it needs a head job soon. So far no over heating.

More questions...

Do I need new head bolts? And where do I get those. I found a local place that has http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Land_Rover/Discovery/Beck_Arnley/Engine_Gasket_Set/1995/Base/8_Cyl_3-dot-9L/032-2992.html this head set for the same price. Local pick up in stock. But no head bolts.

I have had Rod at Besa Auto replace my thermostat, radiator, fan clutch assembly, lower hose and some new coolant a while back. I mean about two months ago. I was under the impression that some one had recently done a head job before since it was pretty new looking. ????

I don't know what the deal is with this thing.

I have done some looking and keep hearing about this "Rave". What is it and where do I get it? How do I look for it?

Yes you'll definitely need new head bolts. There is a specific sequence to torque them down tight. They actually stretch and because of that are a one time use part.

Try this kit from AB, it contains everything you'll need, including the head bolts.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082HBK.cfm

Try this link for the RAVE manual. It's a little different than the version I got a while back, but looks like it will work. Just save the pdf, and open it in Acrobat Reader. It takes some getting used to how it's laid out. For example I wanted to find how to replace the serp belt. It's under Starting and Charging, and it's called an auxillary belt drive, so search wasn't finding it for me when I typed serpentine belt.

http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D1_Workshop_Manual.pdf

edit: I've talked with Tony and Frank at Cerrone's about head gaskets before. They spray a light copper coating on the gaskets before installation. I assume it's for better sealing properties, but I don't know much else about that process. You can also search DiscoWeb.org. There's a ton of info on that site too.

Yes you'll definitely need new head bolts. There is a specific sequence to torque them down tight. They actually stretch and because of that are a one time use part.

Try this kit from AB, it contains everything you'll need, including the head bolts.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082HBK.cfm

Try this link for the RAVE manual. It's a little different than the version I got a while back, but looks like it will work. Just save the pdf, and open it in Acrobat Reader. It takes some getting used to how it's laid out. For example I wanted to find how to replace the serp belt. It's under Starting and Charging, and it's called an auxillary belt drive, so search wasn't finding it for me when I typed serpentine belt.

http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D1_Workshop_Manual.pdf

edit: I've talked with Tony and Frank at Cerrone's about head gaskets before. They spray a light copper coating on the gaskets before installation. I assume it's for better sealing properties, but I don't know much else about that process. You can also search DiscoWeb.org. There's a ton of info on that site too.

Nice work buddy! Thank you. Great stuff here. I'll keep you posted.

I also would endorse the In Search of the Experience DVD by Elias. It is a great overall LR DVD and in the 'Bonus Features' they walk through doing a headgasket on a disco. They talk about the tools you need and go through many of the steps. It will help ease your fears of tackling it yourself.

http://insearchoftheexperience.com/ordernow.htm

It is well worth the $15 especially if you haven't done the job before yourself.

Don't toss the Disco. Fix it!

I looked at a 95 5-spd just like yours a few years ago, cloth seats, etc, but the interior was kinda beat up. The 5-speed seemed to have so much more torque than the slushbox.

Welcome Pedram. Finally, you got yourself a Land Rover (after spending lots of time w/other people's Land Rovers). It's meant to be. Congrats.

I have a copy of In Search of.... Are you planning to be at the Meet/Greet @ Catahoula this Satursday? If yes, I can bring it. If not, PM your address and I can mail it/let you borrow it.

Ditto on the link Brenton provided for the complete AB Head Gaskets (HG) and Head bolts. That local company you pointed out sells HG w/o bolts sells it for about $144. Head Bolts are about $80. So for AB kit that comes with HG and bolts for $195, better deal.

Also I have a $220 credit from AB; ordered a new Mass Airflow Sensor for my 04 DII and they sent me the one for 99-02 (wrong part); returned it since and bought one from another source; so I have a $220 credit from AB. Let me know if you want to barter that credit for helping me build a tire carrier on my RRC. I already have the Safarigard (SG) rear bumper w/the holes drilled for the tire carrier but SG is now defunct and tire carrier no longer avail. Let's talk.

Nice choice of color by the way, Expo white Disco!

I was busy Saturday morning with wedding plans. Sorry mY internet is funny these days. I can't use my computer after shuting down... New problem... don't worry.

So I might start taking in work from you since I do need the money now. I just can't decate to much time on builds before the wedding. I would love to get more projects done. I like building. As you already know. If you want to set up some time let me know. I don't want to let the Disco dance alone for to long. It might not want to tango with me anymore. Now I'm back down to one running truck. The numbers are adding up. I guess 2 out of 3 aint to bad. I still got wheels for now.

You got pictures of your rig? Send them over.

I had no choice on what color I got on a used 5 spd Disco. I just wanted a stick. If it were an automatice I would of kept it Toyota. Actually I was even looking for something not seen out much on the trails. I would of built all the nessisary armor for it anyway. Custom!!! That's how I roll.

• 2 months later...
Guest Pedram
Welcome Pedram. Finally, you got yourself a Land Rover (after spending lots of time w/other people's Land Rovers). It's meant to be. Congrats.

I have a copy of In Search of.... Are you planning to be at the Meet/Greet @ Catahoula this Satursday? If yes, I can bring it. If not, PM your address and I can mail it/let you borrow it.

Ditto on the link Brenton provided for the complete AB Head Gaskets (HG) and Head bolts. That local company you pointed out sells HG w/o bolts sells it for about $144. Head Bolts are about $80. So for AB kit that comes with HG and bolts for $195, better deal.

Also I have a $220 credit from AB; ordered a new Mass Airflow Sensor for my 04 DII and they sent me the one for 99-02 (wrong part); returned it since and bought one from another source; so I have a $220 credit from AB. Let me know if you want to barter that credit for helping me build a tire carrier on my RRC. I already have the Safarigard (SG) rear bumper w/the holes drilled for the tire carrier but SG is now defunct and tire carrier no longer avail. Let's talk.

Nice choice of color by the way, Expo white Disco!

I might take you up on this offer soon Ron. I want to get my Disco dancing again. Are you going to be at Mexxis on 3/31? Dan if you see this post as well I need some help. Know if I need my heads resurfaced?

I might take you up on this offer soon Ron. I want to get my Disco dancing again. Are you going to be at Mexxis on 3/31?

You got it. I will bring it to Mexxis on 03/31; in return, let me know when you are going to change the HG; like to help; would like to learn also. C yah!

Just be sure to evacuate any form of liquid in the head bolt holes in the block. There is not much room at the end of the bore when you install the head bolt, and any liquid will "hydraulic" on you as you compress it by torquing the head bolt, resulting in hairline fractures in the block that simulate a "dropped liner". After all the hard work, and inventing new "encouragement" words in doing a head gasket job, you do not want to expand your vocabulary on a "slipped liner" incident.

Guest Pedram
I don't want to see another head gasket for a long while .... done two in 3 months (different vehicles) and hate it more each time. Just don't use stretch bolts ....

Regards,

Graeme

From what i see those are the only kind from AB. Right?[video=youtube;A2TYeIQ_cpk]

From what i see those are the only kind from AB. Right?

ARP studs ... at least you don't throw them away if you ever do the job again. $120 from ARP, and $80 if you get lucky doing a web search. You can also re-torque if you have a "weep", just like the good ol' days. Remember this is a 1960's engine, not some fangled multi-valve modern engine. Stretch bolts were Rover's attempt at solving head gasket problems by applying tension from the bolts. The trouble is that we all know springs sag, and they aren't heat-cycled like a head bolt. And yes, I did snap a stretch bolt, while following the torque/turn sequence very precisely (so I have come to the conclusion that they aren't a good idea at all).

Regards,

Graeme

Guest Pedram
I don't know exactly how to get this started. I think it would take a day to remove all parts and then send the heads in for a resurfacing. Then a day to get it back and put it all together. If it goes smooth.

I don't know exactly how to get this started. I think it would take a day to remove all parts and then send the heads in for a resurfacing. Then a day to get it back and put it all together. If it goes smooth.

I have to ask why you think you need to deck your heads? If they weren't "cooked" severely by overheating then there is no reason to believe they won't be flat. Get a sheet of glass to check before wasting money is my suggestion. Three out three haven't needed it (so six heads) for me. One now has over 100K since I did it, another nearly 2K, the last would have been fine, but had a slipped liner ....

Graeme

Guest Pedram
Supposedly the previous owner told me that there had been recent work done on it and now I have a blown head. Some reason why it went out so quick... I think that should be reason enough. Peace of mind. Do it now for sure.

• 5 months later...
Guest Pedram

Okay I sold the Toyota today and now I have no choice but to start this project for once. I need to get this ball rolling. I'm ordering parts. Who is got some plans to help? I have no idea where to start. I just know I need to do it and get my truck on the road. I miss this disco.

Also I'm trying to get it ready for a Pismo trip September 21st. You all are welcome to join. I'm bringing the off road trailer too. With the new pintle hook addition.

Archived