newbie intro!

davidp

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

just want to say hi as i just joined the club. I'm a total newbie to the land rover community so please treat me nicely. So, i started a year ago with a search of a bigger car for my wife/ family. Since i'm not a minivan type, i naturally look at SUV's/crossovers, like Q7, Pilot and Outback. But the reviews for the pilot was not that good, Q7 is kinda expensive and meh, and my other half doesn't like the outback that much. We have always been a fan of the original disco (and love love love the defender) but for some reason LR didn't really come to our mind at first. Anyhow, after about a year of casual looking, we tested the LR4 last month and I kinda caught the "rover fever". I probably read all the reviews on the car as well as look at all the land rover disco youtube clips in the past month. Long story short, we just took delivery of a LR4 yesterday. yay! I'm not sure I'll do a lot of "extreme off roading" but i do intend to take it to the outdoors on dirt roads as much as I can, like camping and stuff. It'll probably be my car now instead of wife's car, aha. It's quite a big change for me, from driving a MINI Cooper S the past 7 years and GTI VR6 for 7 years before that.

So, that's my story and I look forward to meeting some of you in the future. I now have a month to think of what dealer accessories I can put on it so any suggestions are welcome. front guard? driving lamp? winch? rock slider? racks? dealer or after market? Thanks!

david

'11 LR4 HSE with climate and HD package

'03 MINI cooper S (on craigslist now) http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2286755270.html

'03 Audi A4

Welcome David to the NCLR club. Congratulations on the new purchase, and welcome to Land Rover fever.

Make sure to connect with Nigel; he also owns an LR4. Also connect with Luis and Dave - both LR3 owners and will be putting a "Get to Know Your LR3/LR4" next week Saturday. With this said, if you are avail next Saturday April 2, come join us; we are having our annual Members Only Meeting (MOM) @ Mexxis in San Ramon staring 11am. Here's the address: http://mexxis.com/contact.htm

Welcome aboard David! Glad to have you here. Too bad about the MOM. Be sure to check out the Proposed Trip thread as well as the Monthly Off Road Gathering (MORG) the first Saturday of every month in Hollister. Go A's!!!

boo Giants

hey Barry, how's that "court" thing working out for ya? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya, the reason i ask now is because for the first month after delivery i can get LR4 accessories from dealer at "invoice/cost" price. whatever that means.... so maybe i can save a little if you guys recommend something from the dealer, otherwise, i can always add aftermarket stuff later.

Welcome David!

You made a decision you wont regret. Land Rover is the only marque that comes with friends included in the purchase (not the dealership).

I would suggest a roof rack and rubber floor mats, everything else (A bumper frame or OE lights) will not hold up too well on the trail.

MOM will run into the afternoon this Saturday-FYI

I would suggest a roof rack and rubber floor mats, everything else (A bumper frame or OE lights) will not hold up too well on the trail.

I agree with the rubber mats (floor and rear cargo), but I would even hold off on the roof rack too, there are a lot of rack options and the LR roof rack may not be what you want or need! If you don't have the short roof rails I'd buy those now. You may want to consider the fitted seat covers if are taking it on the trails. I suggest that you don't buy any of the LR side protection/steps as they will get destroyed (trust me), there are better atfermarket products.

Ditto what Nigel said. On the rear cargo mat, I'm using the one that's flat and has cutouts for the floor anchors. You'll need access to the anchors to tie stuff down when off-roading. I'd also recommend the OEM cargo/dog barrier. I feel a bit safer knowing that the stuff in the back is somewhat secure behind the barrier and won't fall onto my kids during a steep decline or rapid stop.

On the roof rack discussion, there are lots of good aftermarket options, but if you do go for OEM look for the LR Expedition Roof Rack.

I have to be honest here. I can't think of a SINGLE item that you should purchase from the dealer right now that would be cheaper than anything you can find from aftermarket supplier, even if bought "at dealer cost". Perhaps those rubber mats, if you are set on them having the official Land Rover logo, but even those are probably available aftermarket with official logo and all.

That being said, having owned an LR3 for 5 years, I would rate new tires as the most significant, REAL and noticeable improvement to the ride quality and off road worthiness of the vehicle. It's also probably the most wastefull having just purchased a vehicle, your factory tires should still be fairly new. Guess you could always sell them!

I also like having the front skid plate. Not only looks great and its very noticeable but the plastic piece it replaces is all too easily broken off the first time the front of your truck comes even close to hitting anything on the trail, or running over garbage fallen off a truck in front of you in the middle of the interstate (which I have done more often that the prior trail example).

I also agree with having the rubber mats. Not too expensive an upgrade and well worth every penny. Nothing anyone is going to see, but very usefull nontheless.

... I would rate new tires as the most significant, REAL and noticeable improvement to the ride quality and off road worthiness of the vehicle. It's also probably the most wastefull having just purchased a vehicle, your factory tires should still be fairly new. Guess you could always sell them!

I agree with the tires... however your options for the 19" wheels are very limited! I replaced my Continental 4x4 Contact tires which came stock on the vehicle a couple of months after taking possession with the Pirelli Scorpian ATR and sold the stock tires on CL for $350. I looked everywhere for a more aggressive 19" tire but the manufactures seem to think that size is not worthy of an aggressive tire???

If you have 20" wheels you will have more options for an agressive tire!

Nigel

thanx for all your input.. so i only ordered the rubber mats now and hold off on others. Hopefully i will get a chance to check out you guy's set up soon. About the roof rail (short, or long), do i need it? If i put aftermarket rack later, do i need the factory rails? For tires.. I'll probably stick with what I have first. I thought 20" are not as good for offroad because it gets less side wall?

We"ll talk at lenght at the meeting tomorrow. Dave and I will have an area set up to field all the questions you have about the LR3/LR4. You are coming, right?

hi Luis

Sorry I couldnt make it to the meeting. Are there any other event coming up that u will go? Or we can meet up sometime if we live close by?

David

I see you're located in Emeryville. I live in Dublin but go there quite a bit during the week. So yes, I do live close by. Give me a date you have some free time and we can definitely meet somewhere to talk Rovers :) Actually, I have to go this afternoon to pick up my LR3 from having the 90K mile service done at Besa Quality Auto Care right in your neck of the woods. If you have the time and are close by, we could even meet then.

• 6 months later...

All members are invited to attend the next board of directors meeting November 20th at 1 pm via conference call.

Find out the good, bad & ugly from the annual event, let your voice be heard as to what needs improving for next year.

Be part of the planning for the upcoming trips and more exciting commentary.

The conference call information will be posted closer to the date.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived