Escape to Death Valley over Easter Week

Kevin,

Echoing what Dan said...

1)Chicken Rock is scary, but all you really need to get around it is have a good spotter and drive slow. It's not really an "obstacle" as much as a place you have to drive a specific line -- and if you driver too far to the right you are over the edge. I always stop, check it out, then use a spotter to get me around it.

2)The Adopt-a-Cabins can be slept in - but there won't be enough room for all of us, and on some nights (like the first one) we won't have a cabin. You need to plan on tents or tent coits the entire trip. It will be a bonus if you don't set it up. I have also slept out under the stars, on a cot or on a mattress -- my wife likes the tent though..

3)We will be able to replenish in Panamint springs -- but it is a small store (think an understocked 7-11) with real high prices. So you will want all your major food to be packed in advance -- then just get more water/ice/gas etc. there -- plus the stuff you forgot (if they have it). As an example -- we ran out of hot cocoa once. They should have had it -- but were out when we looked for it. The next closest place with a grocery would be Ridgecrest, which is a couple hour round trip drive.

From an obstacles perspective, our most challenging (if you want to look on the net) will be:

-The waterfalls at Goler Wash

-Mengel Pass

-Defense Mine

-Lippencott Road

-Dedeckera Canyon

Also, there are some new areas I am exploring (new cabins etc) that I don't know what the road conditions will be. Defense mine will be an "optional" -- you may end up leaving your vehicle parked down below and ride up with some of the others of us. The others will be "mandatory" -- they are on our route. Over the last two trips, the only place we ever had to "tow" someone through a rough spot was Mengel Pass, where a stock rig needed some extra help to get through. Most of the time, they may it through no problem with careful spotting. The waterfalls at Goler used to be bad, got real easy, and are now getting real bad again. So that may be another spot. Depends on the rains and everything..

There are a few good offroad books covering the trails -- Amazon has one -- I think it is called Death Valley Offroad or something like that that you could get. But the best book to get and read before this trip is "These Canyon's are full of Ghosts" by Emmet Harder. It has lots of cool stories about the areas and cabins we will be going..

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wound up with my worst body damage in Goler Wash lat year. It was from a combination of factors, chiefly among them driver error. It was dark, we were all tired from a very long day having way too much fun and heading back to camp. We reached the waterfall in the trail (a spot were there's a sort of rock step in the trail with a constant stream of water running across it, making it always wet and slippery.) This was an obstacle I had driven up with virtually no trouble at least 4 times by this point, but I just didn't choose the right line this time and couldn't get traction on it. I backed up to give it another shot and to change my angle of attack, and with no back-up lights (I had never hooked them back up when I did my tranny swap) I was totally blind to the rear. My front end had slipped sideways on the step and I didn't realize it, so the orientation of my vehicle to the trail had changed and I thought I was simply going straight back...I wasn't, and I backed right into the rock canyon wall and crunched in the left rear corner of my truck, the tail light, guard and all. My bad.

The back-up light problem has now been rectified. But I recommend that everyone check all lights including back-up lights on their vehicles before this trip, due to the likelihood of some nighttime expeditions. Auxiliary lighting is a definite plus, both front and rear.

Speaking of auxiliary lighting, I have another recommendation: We will be doing some mine explorations on this trip, chief among them Defense Mine. This is an abandoned mine that's in extremely good condition and pretty safe, but like all mines, there are indeed some hazards to be found including holes or shafts in the floor at places dropping directly to the level below. My recommendation is that every person who plans on going into the mine wear a headlight (including children) with fresh batteries in order to keep your hands free for climbing, as there are series of ladders leading to the upper levels that we'll be climbing. Also, I would carry a backup light that will fit comfortably in a pocket. My batteries went dead last year and it was pretty scary at times, and a bit tough to hold onto a hand-held light while climbing. I have a nice little LED headlight that cost maybe 10-15 bucks. It'll be going in with me, for sure.

1)Who is coming on the trip with you?

There will be 5 of us. Me, Lucinda, Halle (11), Kylie (8), and Maci (6)

2)What sort of rig do you drive?

2005 LR3 Coiler, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Rasta Enginel & Transmission Skids, Snorkel, ride height is between standard LR3 height and off-road height.

2007 LR3 Air, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Bumper (no winch yet).

We will also have a pair of sand/bridging ladders.

3)What size tires/wheels will you be using? (to see if we will have multiple spares in emergency)

2005 LR3 has Cooper LTZ 285 60R18 + full size spare of same

2007 LR3 has Hancook 265/65R18 + full size spare of same

4)What spare parts (if any) will you be carrying with you?

Brake switches (2), Fluids (oil, PS fluid, brake fluid)

Considering getting a spare belt and maybe a MAF sensor

5)Have you ever wheeled in the area before?

Have never wheeled in this area before.

Both Lucinda and I will have CB and HAM simplex radios. Kevin - KJ6IBK, Lucinda - KJ6IBL.

" My front end had slipped sideways on the step and I didn't realize it, so the orientation of my vehicle to the trail had changed and I thought I was simply going straight back...I wasn't, and I backed right into the rock canyon wall and crunched in the left rear corner of my truck, the tail light, guard and all. My bad."

Captain Chaos school of driving doesn't always work, eh TigerDan? You leave out the part where we spent 20 minutes picking up every little broken piece of taillight and the couple hours back at camp gluing it all back together...

I agree with the flashlight comment -- the mine is a dangerous place especially once we do the ladders -- people scared of heights or with kids that aren't good climbers may want to take a pass -- or stick to the bottom levels...

Kevin,

Echoing what Dan said...

1)Chicken Rock is scary, but all you really need to get around it is have a good spotter and drive slow. It's not really an "obstacle" as much as a place you have to drive a specific line -- and if you driver too far to the right you are over the edge. I always stop, check it out, then use a spotter to get me around it...

Sounds like I'm being too much of a "chicken". Just thinking about how my LR3 coiler doesn't offer much wheel articulation and wondering if that will be a problem on that corner if I start 3 wheelin' when the right front wheel drops.

Here's a couple of vids I found:

View from outside:

View from inside: http://video.idelink.com/video/NfnvgQg8B6w/Death-Valley-2010-Chicken-Rock.html

Top heavy fool:

...We will be doing some mine explorations on this trip, chief among them Defense Mine.

That sounds way cool!

ok so can a stock D2 with CDL do chicken rock?

Chicken Rock could be done in 2WD. The whole issue with it is that you need to follow your spotters direction. If you don't -- and drive too far away from what you think is the edge, you will get a tire up on a rock on the side of the cliff. And then you start to get tippy and slide -- towards the edge of the cliff. The key is to drive as close to the edge as you so you aren't getting off-camber...

Just watched the video of the top heavy fool...the spotter has him over too far to the right. He should be over to the left another 6 - 12" or so and then all would work out fine....Like I said -- it is a place you can get in trouble. You want a spotter you can trust. Momentum is your enemy on that obstacle.

Don't worry guys I have done enough spotting in my day and as me & Dan have BEEN APPOINTED trail leaders we won't have a problem... we are not racing! all aside I am up for a challenge and always look forward to it.

Not sure if I will be making this trip but, I will tell you this as a family, we have been vacationing in Death Valley for the past 30 years and have explored most all of the park. You’re in for a real fun trip and the Race Track should be a must…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hoiHvOeGc.

Mark,

Yes, Racetrack is on the agenda -- right after climbing Lippencott grade.

Question -- have you ever heard of the Cerrusite (or Nelson) cabin? I am trying to locate cabin sites for us to explore -- this sounded like a good one -- but I am not sure where exactly it is.

Mark,

Yes, Racetrack is on the agenda -- right after climbing Lippencott grade.

Question -- have you ever heard of the Cerrusite (or Nelson) cabin? I am trying to locate cabin sites for us to explore -- this sounded like a good one -- but I am not sure where exactly it is.

Check this out http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20361&sid=9754deaa3426f9fc4b75e5752a210ba4

Yup, that's the one. What I'm trying to get are directions/location -- ideally GPS coordinates. I'm building up a database of GPS waypoints which we will use during the trip. Using the web, some topos I have, and some offroad driving guides.

Lets see -- maybe Brian can figure out how to find this one on Google Earth too....

Well, it took a couple hours of messing with software and downloading stuff but I think I've found it. I'll PM the location and details to you. :D

Brian, I am impressed. I am building a database of coordinates -- I promise to share! Plus I will now point you at a couple other ones that I am having trouble finding....It will be awesome to have all the coordinates laid out.

Michael,

If you are coming to the MOM at Mexxi's in a few weeks, I'm going to talk about the upcoming trip and bring along some old school TOPO maps from the USGS with the route marked. I'm also building a database of GPS waypoints of the sites we will be seeing along the way that I should have available. It's also a good time to meet some of the other people who might be coming along.

I haven't figured out Google Earth enough to actually mark down our proposed trip on it. I started doing that a couple years ago, found it way too tedious and difficult. I do think I can put the waypoints in Google Earth though. Maybe Brian's software is something I should be looking at. If he comes to the MOM, maybe we can do some trip plotting off of my hard copy mapes...

Well, it took a couple hours of messing with software and downloading stuff but I think I've found it. I'll PM the location and details to you. :D

Ok Brian, here is another challenge for you. In Redlands Canyon (which goes off of Striped Butte Valley) there is a cabin called "The Aluminum Cabin" or "Emmet Harders Cabin". It is located on the left hand side of the road in Redlands as you start heading down it, and isn't visible from the road (maybe 1/4 mile off of it). You will remember this road , it is the place we pulled out those guys in the 2WD Ford that were camping at the Geologist cabin -- the time Tyler tried to get people to talk on the HAM that weren't supposed to be!

For bonus points, you could also look for "Peter B. Keynes" secret camp -- which is further down the canyon, off to the left, and a couple thousand feet up the side of a mountain. There is a manmade, flat spot, plus an old mine adit. But so few people have been there, I think you would really have to look hard on google earth to see it.

We were at both places last year, following directions from the "These Valley's are full of Ghosts" by Emmett Harder. Boy, it would be cool to run into him on this trip!

These coordinates aren't as critical, since I know how to get there, but I would on this trip like to validate all my cooridinates and waypoints so we've got good future reference information.

Michael,

If you are coming to the MOM at Mexxi's in a few weeks, I'm going to talk about the upcoming trip and bring along some old school TOPO maps from the USGS with the route marked. I'm also building a database of GPS waypoints of the sites we will be seeing along the way that I should have available. It's also a good time to meet some of the other people who might be coming along.

I haven't figured out Google Earth enough to actually mark down our proposed trip on it. I started doing that a couple years ago, found it way too tedious and difficult. I do think I can put the waypoints in Google Earth though. Maybe Brian's software is something I should be looking at. If he comes to the MOM, maybe we can do some trip plotting off of my hard copy mapes...

I will bring my laptop to the MoM and we can see if we can import the waypoints.

OK, Chuck. I'll work on them when I get the time - taxes, you know.

As for tracks in Google Earth, it will import many different file formats containing GPS locations and tracks/routes. Just open Google Earth and then click OPEN. Use the pull down File Type list to see what file extensions you could use. If you are using Garmin Mapsource then it will take either the .gdb or .gpx formats from Mapsource. If you are going to provide the trip participants with .gpx files or similar then they can use that file to generate their tracks. No work on your part.

if you have a waypoints file you cna email it to me and I will test importing in to GE.

Don't have it yet -- am still messing around with things. I have an excel file, with a POI and a location. The locations are all in different formats, I need to convert them over to UTM -- since that is what I am using to plot things on my "hard copy" map and also look things up. Maybe when we are all together at the MOM, we can teach each other how all this stuff will work. My problem is that I don't have GE on laptop, just my home machine. But if someone brings it....I'll try and post something up this weekend if I can, before I head to Yosemite on my sons class trip...

Archived