Return to the Rubicon 2011

Nigel,

I am still tentative but have told the wife and she is OK! with it ( I love my wife aah!)

we plan on staying in Placerville Thursday PM and will be @ the Gatekeeper Friday early with Mark Pilkington's Bob and Rovage and possibly Lutzi ( I need to co-ordinate with him seeing as we all live in San Luis Obispo county).

I can't wait either.

Hey Nathan down for the caravan up.Let me know what your plan is.We probably should start the spare parts list .

So far

Set of axle's for d2

complete diff running stock gearing

u joints

belt

coolant hoses for d2's

All fluids for the truck

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to go, but things have nuts around here lately and I just don't have time to do all the work the Rover needs (which may now include new head gaskets...!) to be properly prepared before the trip. I went with Chuck and Frank in July for the Jeepers Jamboree and drove about 3/4 of the trail so at least I can say I've done it all the way through, if not yet in my Rover.

Have fun guys, maybe next time...

Back and alive from last weekend. Here's the rundown. Left Sac at about 7 pm friday night and made VERY slow progress to spyder lake. Pulled in around 1:30 am. I have no idea why it took us so long. I think it was because we had such a large group. Had a short night sleep, a good breakfast, some quick repairs and hit the trail. The goal was Rubicon springs by night fall. Along the way we had a 4 hour stop for a broken CV on the other disco, and a two hour stop for a broken tie rod on the other disco. We jumped in Buck Island Lake around 5 pm and drove on to Big Sluice and then the springs. A few problems and waiting for others caused us to get in again at about 1:30 am, again. The next morning we got up late, had a nice breakfast and hit the trail after a chilly swim in the river. If you don't know it's $20 per rig to camp at the springs. We didn't get 300 yards from our campsite before one of the xj's ripped his steering box off the frame. After a 2 hour repair we drove on to cadilliac hill. We were geeted with a Yota flopped on it's side so we had to waif for them. About half way up the hill i snapped a rear axle shaft, dirvers side, but it was about a 5 min fix. We were off the trail by 8:45, another long day. Only one rig in the group got out without dammage, one out of seven. I hope ya'll have better luck than we did. The other thing i broke was a rear cargo door hinge. The pin sheared off while opening the door at rubicon springs. Wierd. It's super dusty again this year so my advice is bring a spare air filter if you don't already have one. Sorry, I didn't have any time to hide any geocache's along the way. I wouldn't have had time to find any if you had gone before us. I'll try and resize some picutres and post them.

Jason

"Along the way we had a 4 hour stop for a broken CV on the other disco"

4 hours?? was the halfshaft broken too @ the diff??? takes me 1 1/2 hrs tops on the trail including clean up!:P

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4403/deathvalleyfix2011.jpg

Only took what 2 1/2 days though right? good job!

Well, we didn't have the high tec jack stands you were using so that slowed us down a bit. Most of the time was spent finding a flat'ish spot to work, fishing out all the tiny pieces of the cv carrier and packing/unpacking the spares. There were chunks that had lodged themselves in the tiny space between the swivel ball and socket so we had to take that apart as well. Plus a 1/2 hour for lunch and a brew.

Thanks Jason for the reporting the trail condtion; reminds me (thanks) to bring a spare air filter.

Also welcome back to "I survived the Rubicon trip".

Post pictures when you can!

Ron

Back and alive from last weekend. Here's the rundown. Left Sac at about 7 pm friday night and made VERY slow progress to spyder lake. Pulled in around 1:30 am. I have no idea why it took us so long. I think it was because we had such a large group. Had a short night sleep, a good breakfast, some quick repairs and hit the trail. The goal was Rubicon springs by night fall. Along the way we had a 4 hour stop for a broken CV on the other disco, and a two hour stop for a broken tie rod on the other disco. We jumped in Buck Island Lake around 5 pm and drove on to Big Sluice and then the springs. A few problems and waiting for others caused us to get in again at about 1:30 am, again. The next morning we got up late, had a nice breakfast and hit the trail after a chilly swim in the river. If you don't know it's $20 per rig to camp at the springs. We didn't get 300 yards from our campsite before one of the xj's ripped his steering box off the frame. After a 2 hour repair we drove on to cadilliac hill. We were geeted with a Yota flopped on it's side so we had to waif for them. About half way up the hill i snapped a rear axle shaft, dirvers side, but it was about a 5 min fix. We were off the trail by 8:45, another long day. Only one rig in the group got out without dammage, one out of seven. I hope ya'll have better luck than we did. The other thing i broke was a rear cargo door hinge. The pin sheared off while opening the door at rubicon springs. Wierd. It's super dusty again this year so my advice is bring a spare air filter if you don't already have one. Sorry, I didn't have any time to hide any geocache's along the way. I wouldn't have had time to find any if you had gone before us. I'll try and resize some picutres and post them.

Jason

[QUOTE=JFuller;17781]Well, we didn't have the high tec jack stands you were using so that slowed us down a bit. You like that huuh! :)

Ron,

If it's OK I am officially going on the TRIP and have been in contact with Mark (Landiman) and will firm up with him as I am pretty sure he want's to go with his "Bob" which he still has BTW.

I just made my truck all the one colour again only to know it will be potentially destroyed again! oh! well I have tons of body parts!

Can't wait now:):

Lutzi I will call you

Right on Nathan.

Let's get the group ready for the trip.

Also I am planning to take my ham radio test before this trip so I can use my own equipment; had it for over 1 yr and finally will get to use it.

[QUOTE=JFuller;17781]Well, we didn't have the high tec jack stands you were using so that slowed us down a bit. You like that huuh! :)

Ron,

If it's OK I am officially going on the TRIP and have been in contact with Mark (Landiman) and will firm up with him as I am pretty sure he want's to go with his "Bob" which he still has BTW.

I just made my truck all the one colour again only to know it will be potentially destroyed again! oh! well I have tons of body parts!

Can't wait now:):

Lutzi I will call you

Ok, give me a call and we can figure a way to meet up and get it to you guys

Roger that.

Also I can see "Expedition Xchange" Norcal style business in the works here Micheal. Lol.

Need to import some of more of those hand held ham radio you showed me.

And portable solar setup.... Portable shower.... Lots of productd ideas.

Only if we get the economy booming again - more potential customers!

Back to the Rubicon!

Archived