Return to the Rubicon 2011

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can we call it. 15-18th. for the dates. I need the dates nailed down soon.

Let's make this the official new dates; have to run to work but will post more notes later.

Let's make this the official new dates

Ok, it's officia; our new Rubicon Trip dates are from Sept 15-18

Quick Summary of the Trip:

Trail is the world famous Rubicon: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/index.html

Trail Rating: 10

Lenght: 22 miles

Trail Leader: Open

Trip Leader/Planner and Tail Gunner: Me (RRC)

Attendees pending to confirm:: Ron/RRC (confirmed, Rod/D1 (confirmed), Yubert/D2 Guest (Confirmed), Nigel/D1, Colin/RRC, Lutz/D2...... And co-pilots (are you in): Dave, Brenton...

Dates: Sept 15-18 (Thursday nite-Sunday afternoon)

Agenda/Itinerary:

Optional camping near the Staging Area (Loon Lake side) on Thursday nite Sept 15 otherwise meet us bright and early near the Gate Keeper Friday Sept 16.

Early Friday morning Aug 12 "Ru-Beacon" (catchy - lol) breakfast aka beacon and eggs planned. Go thru the Gatekeeper (what's left of it today - lol), play around @ Granite Bowl, thru Wentworth Springs, Little Sluice. Depending on far we get that day, we may camp near Spider Lake or Buck Island Lake.

Saturday Sept 17 - wrap up Big Sluice, drive on the Rubicon Bridge (poser kodak momemt -lol), and camp @ Rubicon Springs. Big dinner planned; hopefully I can twist DiscoChef to cook up some high altitude steak fajitas.

Sunday Sept 18 - want to be in the position early Sunday morning to get everyone thru Cadillac Hill (one of the most diff part of the trail). Want to be in the Staging Area onthe Hwy 89/Tahoma side by lunch time, to air-up, have lunch, and prepare for our return home. Refuiling in the Lake Tahoe area or I80.

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):

1) Solid recovery points both front and back,

2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,

3) Sliders and Diff Guards,

4) And atleast 1 rear locker is req but having rear and front lockers will make it less harder on your vehicle. If you are running lockers, should upgrade to HD axles otherwise carry spares.

5) Upgrade your rear trailer arms (if you are running stock ones on RRC/D1) to HD

6) HD front bumper (want something solid that can take a beating, and don't go bumper less and make your radiator take the beating)

7) Winch. We maybe able to do away w/non-winch bumper as long as we have equal non-winch and winch vehicle. Need recovery strap for sure.

8) CB; Ham operator a plus.

9) 1 spare fuel can w/fuel (re-fueling is avail before your turn-off to the Ice House Rd on Thursday, and re-fueling station on Lake Tahoe side on the return trip but bring one spare just in case)

Other rules:

- No drinking alcohol and driving on the trail (save it for camp/when keys put away), need to read and abide by this: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/50-ft-trail-easement.html

- Pack it in/pack it out (Wag Bags a must, and BYOB - bring your own bucket - he! he!)

Other Considerations:

- keep your CG as low as possible - I dont' recommend an RTT setup on the trail - tent it or tent cot.

- Will be a lot of rock stacking, hiking, altitude above 5000 ft...

- Let me know if you are diabetic or special health conditions.

We have GPS coords, more details.... if any interested; PM me; this will be a fun trip!

Also have a vehicle wrenching day schedule last day of July (last min work need/save you on labor/help w/installs - join the fun (optional)), and shake down/test your mods the weekend before the trip @ Hollister SVRA.

Pictures from our last trip: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=178167

Hey Ron,

Are these guys aware that NCLR is doing it the same weekend or was this their plan to hook up with us?? I say us as I am doing my best to go!

Sep 17, 2011 - Sep 18, 2011

2011 Rubicon Trail (Tentative Snow)

Rubicon Trail

SCLR Event

Good to see you might make it Nathan just wouldn't be the same with out ya.There hasn't been any chatter on there forums.I know they wanted to go in July but there was snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel,

I am still tentative but have told the wife and she is OK! with it ( I love my wife aah!)

we plan on staying in Placerville Thursday PM and will be @ the Gatekeeper Friday early with Mark Pilkington's Bob and Rovage and possibly Lutzi ( I need to co-ordinate with him seeing as we all live in San Luis Obispo county).

I can't wait either.

Archived