Return to the Rubicon 2011

Ron, thanks for the Trasharoo. We'll have to coordinate sometime for me to get it from you.

I'd love to volunteer helping do the writeup and take photos, if I can get a seat on this trip, whenever it happens.

there is one open seat in mine but it would be a back seat of the lwb. for sure we can trade positions but you would be a third. if it is in September is sounds like Dan would go and was possibly looking for a co-pilot.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys may want to check out this calendar -- maybe even post up your trip on it -- it tells you what clubs are running the trail when.

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=n3ngpkbhs3lpeuv4e67m1hvc20@group.calendar.google.com&gsessionid=OK

Great find Chuck; thanks for sharing.

Funny, looking at the calendar link, I don't even see the Jeep Jamboree USA scheduled for Aug 11-14. Perhaps a trick to cancel ours (smile). Anyways, talked to Tim and even if/and allowedo, we wouldn't have fun waiting for a large group to go thru... Long waits and crowed = no fun. Best to come up with alt wknd.

Mark, I can't say for sure but the last time the guide fee was $250 per vehicle and I believe that's the fee that's been bandied about. I understand that you know that trail better than probably any of us, but it would still be great to have you along.

I'm still not positive I can make it myself. Of course it depends on the final date, but after just getting back from the Rubicon having spent the last four days there, I realize that with my manual tranny I'll definitely need some lower gears than my stock 3.54s...maybe I can swap some Series 4.89s in for this trip...

The trail was good for the Jamboree, a bit wetter in places than the last time I was there. I drove better than half way, even if it was a (gasp!) Jeep. Barry drove the first part and when we stopped for lunch at the base of $1000 hill, I drove most of the rest of the way to Rubicon Springs. Barry took over again a little beyond the bridge and was behind the wheel for our arrival at the Springs. We did the trip from Loon Lake to Rubicon springs in around 9 hours total, including stops for lunch, swimming in Buck Island Lake, a stuck or two (Chuck's rig:D) and Frank's trail repairs to the D90 which lost some teeth from the front ring gear requiring him to drive the remainder of the trail in two-wheel drive, which he did with virtually no trouble, requiring a brief tug on only three occasions the entire rest of the way. (This occurred on the granite slabs above Buck Island Lake.)

Great trip, itching to do it again in the RRC.

Dan, Mark, Ron, and all the rest,

Now that this trip is postponed there is a chance I could make it. I would need to have a date firmed up because I have another trip planned in Sep, but I would be interested in running in a group without a guide fee. My one issue is that I would have to work friday. What that would mean for me is that I would need to wheel in to Spyder lake after work. I would not want to do this alone. So if there is interest in a later group, let me know a firm date and maybe we could work something out.

jason

That is what I'd like to do. Non-guided, but around the same time to overlap and help, and do it on a sat and Sun or Sun and Mon. Either camping at Spyder or a Rubicon springs, or do it backwards from Tahoe so it is all downhill. I'm open to anything really.

Mark;

Click on Settings on the upper right, then scroll down to Edit Avatar from the menu on the left and follow the directions to upload your avatar pic from your computer. I don't know what the size limitation is without checking, but you'll most likely have to resize a pic to something like 50x50 pixels.

It sounds like we're getting back towards having a separate non-guided group. If a small group traveling fast were to leave late Friday as per Josh's schedule they might be able to catch up to the main group at some point for camping and camaraderie.

That is what I'd like to do. Non-guided, but around the same time to overlap and help, and do it on a sat and Sun or Sun and Mon. Either camping at Spyder or a Rubicon springs, or do it backwards from Tahoe so it is all downhill. I'm open to anything really.

Hey Mark, good to hear from you. Jeep Jamboree is scheduled on the wknd we wanted to go Aug 11-14; will be crowded and decided to resched. Tim Scully and I are working on the new date. He is busy with the launch of LR Evoque and trying to nail down new dates w/his employer.

As an alt, would you be interested in leading a non-guided group if Tim is unable to make it. PM for avail wknd in Aug and Sept (1st of Sept is not good for me and another person in the group).

Thanks!

Ron,

Any news on a new date for the Rubi?

Yes, spoke to Tim tonight. Land Rover throw in more schedules for him to do including Moab (Land Rover Evoque launch); so between travel throws off this schedule late Aug and Sept.

Having said this, Tim is bummed he can't join on the Rubicon late Aug; and all of Sept. Perhaps Oct if we still interested; he has been there as late as October, and it's pretty much deserted; however, much cooler. Be prepared for cold weather camping.

If Nigel, Colin, Lutz, Rod and Yubert (guest) are still interested; let's pick a date (Thur-Sun) in Sept and hit the Rubicon on our own; if Mark aka Landiman can join us even better - he can be our trail leader. Perhaps even others can join e.g. Jason... Who is up for it. No guide fee.

that would actually be the 15th - 18th. that's my vote too.

Sounds good to me!

Anyone like this date? Or don't.

Pretty close to the annual (something to talk about during/pix to show), and about a month away from Baja Trip!

Archived