Return to the Rubicon 2011

When the dates are "fixed" I may still go seeing as it is August now well??? remember it's a longer drive for me and Lutzi.

WTG Nathan - we could use your help in the 2nd group.

Dates right now are Fri-Sun Aug 12-14th (start the run Friday morning), or Thur-Sun Aug 11-14 allow time for travel Thursday considering distance from Pismo. Optional camping Thursday nite, and start Friday morning.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this trip (most of you know already the drill), you must have a vehicle in top mechanical shape (breakdown happens so as long as you have been prepared we will just have to deal with the unexpected) and you must have:

1) Solid recovery points both front and back,

2) Enough lift to run 33s,

3) Sliders,

4) And atleast 1 rear locker is req but having rear and front lockers will make it less harder on your vehicle.

Other recommendations:

5) If you are running lockers, should upgrade to HD axles like Rovertracks or carry spares.

6) Upgrade your rear trailer arms to HD

7) Put on front and rear diff guards

8) And HD front bumper (want something solid that can take a beating, and don't go bumper less and make your radiator take the beating)

Winch is optional but as whole/group we need to have have equal number or close to winch and non-winch vehicles. Everyone much have at least a CB radio and the group must have a few ham radio/operator.

Will have an opportunity to discuss Rubicon trail, safety first including winching, spotter, and drviing technique during Friday morning "Drivers/Spotter's meeting before he start on the Rubicon trail.

Also I am interested to know who maybe interested in a group buy with Rovertracks, RTE or Lucky 8; you don't have to be going on the Rubicon to get-in the group buy; more can only help with our purchasing power. Post up if interested.

Cheers!

Also I am interested to know who maybe interested in a group buy with Rovertracks, RTE or Lucky 8; you don't have to be going on the Rubicon to get-in the group buy; more can only help with our purchasing power. Post up if interested.

I'm still interested in tackling the Rubicon and would definetely be interested in a group buy. What kind of discount can we expect to see?

Nigel

Ron,

If you can get a group buy with Keith @ RoverTracks I need these LongTracks Extreme Front Axle CV Kit as I broke one side on Defense mine and need a replacement set for the Rubicon etc.

Cheers!

Nath

I am really tempted now that the dates have change. I have most of the vehicle requirements but one. I have a lift that can fit 33" tires but currently have 32" on my RRC. Will that be a problem? I do not plan to buy new tires any time soon. I don't mind waiting till next year.

AA

I am really tempted now that the dates have change. I have most of the vehicle requirements but one. I have a lift that can fit 33" tires but currently have 32" on my RRC. Will that be a problem? I do not plan to buy new tires any time soon. I don't mind waiting till next year.

AA

Same here. Date's keep getting towards the end of August.

AA

If the only thing missing is 33s and you have 32s, let me ask - what type of tire are your running?

Same here. Date's keep getting towards the end of August.

We need you Lutz! Have Tammy take your spot in Pismo unless she is coming also. Come on! You can do it! Nathan doesn't want it too late due to the weather, and you want it closer to the end of Oct. I think the new dates are good compromise.

Which side do you need?

Ron,

If you can get a group buy with Keith @ RoverTracks I need these LongTracks Extreme Front Axle CV Kit as I broke one side on Defense mine and need a replacement set for the Rubicon etc.

Cheers!

Nath

I'm afraid virtually any date in August puts me right out of the running. It looks like I'll be in Washington state for most of the month and as soon as I get back I have a reunion to go to for the last weekend of the month. The consolation prize is that I'll be going on the Jeeper's Jamboree with Chuck in July, but only as a passenger. So that unsettled score I have with the Rubicon still stays unsettled as far as my Rover is concerned.

Ron the Passenger side but I am to assume you can only buy these as pairs?

Antonio be prepared to drag your truck over more boulders with 32's so best have weld on diff housing protection and for the rear driveshaft & Gas tank.

Ron,

I'm interested in coming along to 'orientate myself' with the Rubicon. Not ready yet with the RRC, but next year maybe. Wondering about parking at the trail head (or somewhere 'safe' at the beginning) then hiking with the group. Is that a possibility? I could do an advance Recce infront of the group with the handheld CB maybe? Also, spares that people don't want to haul up the trail could be left in my RRC maybe.

Regards,

Graeme

Hey all. Finally a member here. I might be interested in this trip. Well, I am interested but was already tentatively planing a rubicon trip for the following weekend 19th-21st. Here is my deal though. I am in Sacramento now and wouldn't be able to make it on Friday morning b/c of work. Our plan for the following weekend was to wheel in friday night to spider lake so if that's where ya'll will be then it could work out great. We were planning on being in rubicon springs by saturday night and off on sunday morning. It sounds like you had a similar plan. My friend Matt, with a '69 bronco would be tagging along if I came, would this be a problem? Also, neither of us could afford a guided trip. I would love to meet so and get to know some more LR people around.

Jason

Hey all. Finally a member here. I might be interested in this trip. Well, I am interested but was already tentatively planing a rubicon trip for the following weekend 19th-21st. Here is my deal though. I am in Sacramento now and wouldn't be able to make it on Friday morning b/c of work. Our plan for the following weekend was to wheel in friday night to spider lake so if that's where ya'll will be then it could work out great. We were planning on being in rubicon springs by saturday night and off on sunday morning. It sounds like you had a similar plan. My friend Matt, with a '69 bronco would be tagging along if I came, would this be a problem? Also, neither of us could afford a guided trip. I would love to meet so and get to know some more LR people around.

Jason

Welcome Jason; no worries - 2nd group has no guide fee (right behind 1st group); still finalizing the plans/dates/attendees, more to come!

Ok, so the trip I had originally planned on Aug 19-21st looks like a go so I wont be able to make it two weeks in a row. Darn it if I had seen this earlier maybe it would have worked out. That being said. I will be traveling with a small group of NON-rovers and if anyone would like to join us consider this your formal invite. We will meet after work on Friday the 19th, leave Roseville at 6 pm and stop at spyder lake for camp. If all goes well we should be there with plenty of time to sleep. Maybe even get in a little night wheeling. We will head to Rubicon Springs on Saturday and be out sometime Sunday afternoon. This is a Family friendly event. We are an easy going group of experienced to not-so-experienced wheelers who will be out there for a good time. If you're looking to push hard, make lots of noise and generally get a bit rowdy, this probably isn't the group for you. Hope to see you all on the trail and good luck to the groups heading out the week earlier.

I reached out to Lucky8; hopefully Justin can help us with group buy on much needed HD parts... axles shafts, trailing arms, etc... Also invited him if he wanted to join.

Rod from Besa from join; that adds another LR mechanic besides Tim in the group.

Tim is coming back from the Rubicon this wknd and expecting a report back on the snow level and trail conditions. He likes to recce the trail before any trips.

This wknd, getting my RRC ready for a trip to Eagle Lake/Signal Peak and a peak of Fordyce.

C yah all!

Nathan/Nigel and other interested in getting HD parts, I reached out to Keith @ Rovertracks; have not heard back; also reached out to Justin @ Lucky and likewise, have not heard back; they might be out and about so I will reach out again by the end of this week.

If we don't get any response for a group buy and discount from Rovertracks or Lucky 8, I am going to reach out to Bill @ Great Basin Rovers, and Rovertyme directly next.

cmon you slacker. After those two jeep events it'll be a superhighway out there! You can drive fast and make up time...

But I heard after, Marlin Crawlers (Toyota group) tear the super highway down and put the trail back.

I'm afraid virtually any date in August puts me right out of the running. It looks like I'll be in Washington state for most of the month and as soon as I get back I have a reunion to go to for the last weekend of the month. The consolation prize is that I'll be going on the Jeeper's Jamboree with Chuck in July, but only as a passenger. So that unsettled score I have with the Rubicon still stays unsettled as far as my Rover is concerned.

Hey Dan, hope all is going well. Keeping Chuck company I see. You will get to see what you missed passed Buck Island, and Chuck can use a great helper/spotter like you.

Have fun on the Rubicon!

Ron,

I'm interested in coming along to 'orientate myself' with the Rubicon. Not ready yet with the RRC, but next year maybe. Wondering about parking at the trail head (or somewhere 'safe' at the beginning) then hiking with the group. Is that a possibility? I could do an advance Recce infront of the group with the handheld CB maybe? Also, spares that people don't want to haul up the trail could be left in my RRC maybe.

Regards,

Graeme

Two groups and diff dates.

Dates I am proposing (when Tim is avail) is Aug 11-14. There is a $250 per vehicle fee.

Looks like Colin can't take those days off and would prefer the wknd after Aug 19-21. And JFuller is going this wknd. No vehicle guide fee in this group.

Nathan, which date(s) are you planning to go?

Nigel is working on his mods.

Lutz are you still in? Which wknd?

Antonio - still up for this?

Ron, if one of the group buys happens, is it for trip members only (like we had with Viking Offroad for the last Rubi trip)? I can't make the trip, but I'd like to get some HD Ashcroft rear axles if it helps the deal go through.

Ron, if one of the group buys happens, is it for trip members only (like we had with Viking Offroad for the last Rubi trip)? I can't make the trip, but I'd like to get some HD Ashcroft rear axles if it helps the deal go through.

You got it. See my post on NCLR Members Only Group Buy. Enjoy Canada Brenton. Ay! Lol.

Archived