Gauging Interest: Return to the Lost Coast

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mike as usual for being the ER contact; will enter your cell # and provider + email addy into the SPOT.

Jen if you are at the driving event at Quail Lodge, then Ramsey or Justin can help you (instructors) or is this a wheels event, in which case Tim or Lea can help you.

Ron, you have me down for ER contact? Need a Number and an email for the spot? Let me know. We talk by phone so you have the number (as does enrique/brenton/sasquatch), and my email is my screen name at yahoo.....

I can amass calvery if needed .....

oh, and another idea for the mud you guys. Go buy a bunch of PAM (kitchen spray) and spray the winch/wheel wells and recovery points. I find that in really muddy conditions, it helps the mud NOT stick.....just a thought.

Raining outside! Going to be muddy @ the Lost Coast.

Our trip is next week gals/guys! Wohoo. I took Friday off (cough cough).

I updated the trip plans (back to the top of the thread).

Camp @ the State Park near Usal Beach as planned, however, w/our large group, we won't all fit @ the campground in Sinkyone Wilderness Park for Sat.

Thinking let's just explore Sinkyone Wilderness Park during the day Sat, drive up north, and camp @ Shelter Cover for Sat nite to accomodate all of us. I am calling the campground on Monday to inq about space/reserv.

Then either go further Sunday or head to Glass Beach.

Also for Friday, want to know if anyone is interested in stopping by Granville aka Granny Tea Cup farm before we stop by Leggett. Should only take 1 hr off our time if anyone is interested.

I concur with you señor Ron re: camping at Sinkyone. Hopefully we'll find a spot large enough to accommodate our circle of wagons at Shelter Cove.

I have no problem stopping at Granville's, don't know him well (met him once at "Mendo Not a Rally" outing a few years ago) but here's a chance to get better acquainted.

Let me know if I can be of any help with anything!

Can't wait!! started packing today!!

Wow! Michael - very sorry to hear about your Sister. Our prayers are with her and your family. Jen - I hope all is well for you as well. How's the Rover? Ron - looks like we dodged the rain bullet this week. Should be nice! I say we head up the coast and skip the State Park for overnight accommodations. We can sure find a spot somewhere?? We just have to keep in mind the shorter amount of available daylight thanks to the Daylight Savings time change. Fuel may have to be calculated in if we head north.

Sorry to hear about Michael and Jen.

Ron, there are 2 campgrounds about 4.2mi north of 4 Corners and 2.4mi south of Briceland/Shelter cove intersection on Chemise Mtn Rd. I was there about 7 yrs ago. One of them is large enough for 11 vehicles, if not, the party can split up to the other campground about a mile away. Both are sheltered by a ridge to the west, so no bad winds. Guess I'll be arriving alone Fri. nite.

Michael, and Jen, sorry to hear. Will do Lost Coast again next year. Take care both of you.

Rupert, we will still send the the parties to wait for you @ entrance of Usal Rd on Hwy 1.

I will check out those two camp grounds you mentioned; let me know if anyone else know about these two. With the state's park budget, hopefully still open. Will pick out the one that can hold our group less Michael and Jen now; prefer not the split the group.

Agree Dave. We did get lucky by not having this trip over the wknd with the recent rain; lots. Forecast for Nov 6-7 Fri-Sun will be sunny, high 61 and low 37. Will be sunny and 0 chance of rain (nice) yet wet from this wknd rain and trail will be a bit more fun (smile). I just got back from my business trip and during the trip I was wishing that I was camping this wknd instead - not don't feel as bad.

And wind picked-up during this wknd's rain; but you a lot of debris on Usal; and the guy(s) bringing the chain saw, thanks! We might need it.

Ok guys/gals, anything else we need think about; crunch time; I will PM my cell # to everyone on Mon or Tuesday; please do the same and email me yours so we can have a contact list. Thanks!

Please don't count me completely out yet! There is hardly any damage to my Rover. The plastic plate covering the rear recovery point and a little red reflector seemed to have the most damage and the back bumper is out of alignment on the passenger side, but only by 1/2 inch. Appointment already scheduled with insurance adjustor, so we'll see what LRSJ says about fixing it before this weekend.

Ron,

The 2 campground nares are: Nadelos and Wailaki. They are about 500yds apart. Directly north and north-northeast of Chemise Mtn.

Jen,

Hope all is and will be well.Will still plan to meetup with you in Leggett.

Jen- If you leave your truck at the dealership while it's being repaired and you get one of their loaners, just take that truck, seriously. But hopefully yours will be ready to go by Thu.

ALL- Are we doing a potluck dinner on Saturday? or going solo.

Enrique

Ron,

The 2 campground nares are: Nadelos and Wailaki. They are about 500yds apart. Directly north and north-northeast of Chemise Mtn.

I just got off the phone with the BML for King Range up in the Lost Coast; they manage the campground on Nadelos and Wailaki. Ranger tell me that we should not be worried about space issue since not a lot of people camp out this time around; cold and wet (in fact, he said be prepared for water crossing on Usal Rd); both sites are avail; $8 per vehicle; exact change needed as you would need to stuff it in an env and put in a pay box.

Both have running water (faucet) and pit toilet. Nadelos is similar to Sinkyone Wilderness campground where you have to walk 100ft to get to the tent sites. Wailaki you can drive in and park your vehicle next to your site. Sounds like Wailaki is our place.

Not hard to find. When we get to Four Corners contnue onto Chemise Mtn Rd and look for signs. If we end up in Shelter Cove, gone to far. Rupert since you have been in Wailaki, will have you lead the group from 4 Corners.

BLM Bureau of Land Management

King Range Office

Whitethorn, CA

707-986-5400

http://www.redwoods.info/printrecord.asp?id=531

Enrique, you said you want to help; can you check on the Usal Beach State Campground you guys stayed this year; is there a fee; I saw a pay box but don't recall the detail since Dave and I plus family (2 trucks) camped-out in an open area before this campground. Also I remember a pit toilet; don't recall running water (faucet). Can you confirm? Thanks!

Re: fuel, top off @ Leggett; I think we will have enough fuel to go from Hwy 1, to Usal on Fri, even visit Sinkyone Wilderness Sat a.m., and camp @ Wailaki Sat p.m., and stop-by Shelter Cove, and then head out and refuel in Gaberville. Need to discuss if we have time for Glass Beach; would be fun!

Food, I open to pot luck Saturday; we can offer up Kinders BBQ meet.

Michael, I wish the best of luck to your sister and entire family!

Jen, sounds like you and your truck are fine, hope you can make the trip.

I'm all set. Just finished (like 2 hours ago:) installing the lower spring retainers on the rear axle, so I'm fully retained! I vote for pot luck on Saturday night too. I'll bring some nice sausage and side of potato salad. Are we meeting at Ron's house or somewhere else? Might be a little cramped at your house. That shopping center where we met for the Rubicon trip was work. It has gas and food and lots of parking. Meeting time still at 9am? I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Michael, I wish the best of luck to your sister and entire family!

Jen, sounds like you and your truck are fine, hope you can make the trip.

I'm all set. Just finished (like 2 hours ago:) installing the lower spring retainers on the rear axle, so I'm fully retained! I vote for pot luck on Saturday night too. I'll bring some nice sausage and side of potato salad. Are we meeting at Ron's house or somewhere else? Might be a little cramped at your house. That shopping center where we met for the Rubicon trip was work. It has gas and food and lots of parking. Meeting time still at 9am? I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Meeting will be at the shopping center; address on the trip sheet (BTT).

And meeting moved up from 8am to 9am to allow for kids, etc... (especially for Kevin - smile)

Also my vote pot luck on Sat also.

Thanks Mr Chef! $8 per extra vehicle, and $25 for the first. I think if we all pay $10 ea and there's 10 of us; we can cover the camping fee for Usal.

For Wailaki, I was told $8 per vehicle.

So bring $10 + 8 gals/guys for camping fee for a great wknd of camp fire, kids/adults exploring the wilderness, elks mating (lol), mud, water crossing, pot luck Sat... type of Land Rover wknd!

Ron, for Nadelos and Wailaki campgrounds, my map shows that those are actually on a paved section of road - so a trip into Shelter Cove and back out could be quick. Depending on how our driving goes, it also looks like there are 2 campgrounds just north of Shelter Cove on King's Peak Road (dirt, but rated "Easy"). They are Tolkan and Horse Mountain campground. Horse Mountain is further North but will accommodate 9 tent trailer campsites. So I think we'll have plenty of options available to us.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/campground.html

Thanks for researching the additional camping sites Kevin. Can you print out that BLM list so we can decide on the fly of we need? OK - Kevin and Nigel (or anyone else who is meeting in the East Bay) let's lock down the meeting time and place. 8-8:15am Friday morning at the Park and Ride located off Bollinger Canyon is the spot. The lot is located here -

http://www.ci.san-ramon.ca.us/transp/images/map.pdf

That gives us a good 35 minutes to get to the main meeting spot. You let the cat out of the bag about being off work on Thursday Kevin so being on time should be no problem...right??? LOL! You'll be in the heart of commute traffic so we'll hope that there's no accidents along the way for you. Let's just plan to stay in touch on your way in. I'll PM my cell to you guys.

Let's Goooooooooooooo!!!

Ok, slight change in plans for the Suttles. My mother-in-law and wife's neice will be driving up from Newark. She'd rather not leave her car in a parking lot somewhere. Since my mom lives in Hercules, we will drive straight to Hercules to meet my mother-in-law so she can leave her car at my mom's house. We'll meet y'all at the gas station in Hercules @ 9am.

Confused?

Archived