Gauging Interest: Return to the Lost Coast

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In April, I had one 5 gallon can strapped to the top of my truck and never had to crack it open. Of course, because of the mud we never even got as far a Shelter Cove. I think there is fuel at Shelter Cove, but things are shut down on Sundays if I remember. Ron can you shed some light on the fuel situation?

Also, does any need any kids boots? We have a bucket full boots at home and can look for certain sizes if any are needed.

Lucinda broke her wrist at science camp with our oldest daughter last week, so it looks like my mother-in-law will get her first shot behind the wheel of a Rover :-)

Trip is next week.... Wohooo.

Hey let's talk about firewood; we will need firewood for Fri nite, Sat morning and Saturnday nite; do you guys/gals think 6 boxes are enough for the trip; who has space to bring share of firewood?

I can make room but will be tight; I'm bringing our small gas grille, propane cans and Kinder BBQ meat to share one of the nights.

Will it be ok to gather fallen wood along the trail? I know it may be wet, but Les and Bear could spark life out of it! I think we really need to lock down the late arrivers and early crew who may meet them at the start of Usal Rd at a specific pre-determined time. It will be dark, possibly wet, new road to many and street tires on a couple of the rigs. FRS, and cell phones will be useless out there. I think it would be a good call to be clear on a HARD meet time for the late ones. Thoughts???

Trip is next week.... Wohooo.

Hey let's talk about firewood; we will need firewood for Fri nite, Sat morning and Saturnday nite; do you guys/gals think 6 boxes are enough for the trip; who has space to bring share of firewood?

I can make room but will be tight; I'm bringing our small gas grille, propane cans and Kinder BBQ meat to share one of the nights.

It will just be my daughter and I so we will bring a couple of boxes of wood! I'd like to know a little more about the fuel issue as I currently do not have a means to bring extra...

I'm bringing an extra 5 gallons of fuel, if anything, just to compliment the 5 gallons of water that'll be on the roof too. I will also plan to bring at least one big box of wood from Safeway. Oh and Kevin do you have any boots that will fit my size 14/15 foot?:D

I think we really need to lock down the late arrivers and early crew who may meet them at the start of Usal Rd at a specific pre-determined time. It will be dark, possibly wet, new road to many and street tires on a couple of the rigs. FRS, and cell phones will be useless out there. I think it would be a good call to be clear on a HARD meet time for the late ones. Thoughts???

Roger that Dave.

Rupert said he can be @ the gas station in Leggett @ 5:15pm and entrance to Usal Rd @ 6:15pm; Jen said she is planning to leave the South Bay SJ area by noon; should get her in Leggett before 5pm to meet up with Rupert.

I suggest we send a party of two LRs from camp and back to the entrace of Usal Rd/Hwy 1 to meet-up with Rupert and Jen at 6:15. There should be cell reception on Hwy 1. A plus if one of the LR has ham, and someone @ basecamp as well with ham radio.

Any volunteers (after getting settled in camp) to go back and wait for Rupert and Jen? Pacifico will be waiting for you (smile) safely returning with Jen/Rupert back to camp; join the festivity!

I'll take you up on a pair of boots for Isa I think she's size 12

I'll bite on the boots, too. Kaleb is a size 1, any extras of that size?

Enrique - I have a size 12 set and will bring them by Mexxis for Isa this week.

Jen - We only have 1 pair of size 1 and one of my girls needs them. Sorry.

Brenton - Sorry, no size 14/15. I do have an extra Nitto tire if you think that might fit :-)

We will bring one medium sized box of firewood with us.

In terms of contact in the wilderness for meeting up night #1, I will have Dave Bregman's satellite phone with me. It does not have continuous reception and I can't access voicemail, but we could use it to call for updates from those on the road if necessary. Speaking of which...everyone should probably post send their cel #'s to Ron so he can put together on a list to distribute before the trip.

I will have a ham radio as will my wife and I believe Enrique. Anyone else? I am more familiar communicating Simplex, but I did make contact with the Southern Humboldt Amateur Radio Club (SHARC) and they have a repeater above Shelter Cover. Details are:

146.79 with a subaudible tone of 103.5 John @ KI6DGX will be listening for us over the weekend.

I'm also bringing a pair or knee high mud boots...just in case.

Roger that Dave.

Rupert said he can be @ the gas station in Leggett @ 5:15pm and entrance to Usal Rd @ 6:15pm; Jen said she is planning to leave the South Bay SJ area by noon; should get her in Leggett before 5pm to meet up with Rupert.

I suggest we send a party of two LRs from camp and back to the entrace of Usal Rd/Hwy 1 to meet-up with Rupert and Jen at 6:15. There should be cell reception on Hwy 1. A plus if one of the LR has ham, and someone @ basecamp as well with ham radio.

Any volunteers (after getting settled in camp) to go back and wait for Rupert and Jen? Pacifico will be waiting for you (smile) safely returning with Jen/Rupert back to camp; join the festivity!

Ron, I think the Suttles and I are the only ones with Ham radios on this trip (Brenton, did you get your license yet?), so I will volunteer to be one of the drivers (nudge, nudge Kevin) to go get Rup & Jen. Also, Jen, do you have a CB radio or able to get one by next Friday? It makes the trip a lot more fun and safer.

Kevin- How about if we use 146.440 so that we don't interfere with the locals...remember what happened in April? ;)

We will bring one medium sized box of firewood with us.

In terms of contact in the wilderness for meeting up night #1, I will have Dave Bregman's satellite phone with me. It does not have continuous reception and I can't access voicemail, but we could use it to call for updates from those on the road if necessary. Speaking of which...everyone should probably post send their cel #'s to Ron so he can put together on a list to distribute before the trip.

I will have a ham radio as will my wife and I believe Enrique. Anyone else? I am more familiar communicating Simplex, but I did make contact with the Southern Humboldt Amateur Radio Club (SHARC) and they have a repeater above Shelter Cover. Details are:

146.79 with a subaudible tone of 103.5 John @ KI6DGX will be listening for us over the weekend.

I'm also bringing a pair or knee high mud boots...just in case.

Funny, you posted while I was typing... yes I'm slow-lol

Thanks for bringing the knee high boots...that makes you the designated winch cable guy that gets to go in the mud bogs-lol

I will bring my "welli's" (high calf/low knee boots.) and volunteer to lug cable... since I am winch-less I will "take one for the team" ;) , currently only have the silly FRS handset... will look into picking up a CB this weekend. I was studying for the HAM test, but family has "happened" and have to fly to SLC, UT for a few days so it is not looking like I can make the test in Napa on Sunday.....

Ron, I think the Suttles and I are the only ones with Ham radios on this trip (Brenton, did you get your license yet?), so I will volunteer to be one of the drivers (nudge, nudge Kevin) to go get Rup & Jen. Also, Jen, do you have a CB radio or able to get one by next Friday? It makes the trip a lot more fun and safer.

Kevin- How about if we use 146.440 so that we don't interfere with the locals...remember what happened in April? ;)

Yes, I did get a CB radio. It's a handheld one, looks like my walkie talkie from work. I'm not really sure how to use it, but will bring on Sunday and maybe someone at the Driving Event might know how it works? I assume I can figure it out, much like the ones I use at work, just confused about the channels and frequencies....

Jen if you are at the driving event at Quail Lodge, then Ramsey or Justin can help you (instructors) or is this a wheels event, in which case Tim or Lea can help you.

Ron, you have me down for ER contact? Need a Number and an email for the spot? Let me know. We talk by phone so you have the number (as does enrique/brenton/sasquatch), and my email is my screen name at yahoo.....

I can amass calvery if needed .....

oh, and another idea for the mud you guys. Go buy a bunch of PAM (kitchen spray) and spray the winch/wheel wells and recovery points. I find that in really muddy conditions, it helps the mud NOT stick.....just a thought.

Archived