Dusy Irshim Trail - August 18-22

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Low 80's in the day sounds nice! I/we are going to bring our inflatable dingy.

Low 80s. Wow.

Ok, I just sent via PM ea our cell #. Please print and have it handy in case we need to call or get in touch during our drive to the Dusy.

I also have a copy of ea emergency contact name/number, and will giving it to my wife; hopefully we don't have to use or call anyone on the emergency list.

I also asked another NCLR club member if he wouldn't mind being SPOT "help" contact. Not required to come down to Dusy and help us, but just keep an eye on his cell for SPOT help msg and willing to help coordinate or pass-on msg to our emergency contacts.

See you tomorrow!

forgot to mention is anybody bringing jacks stands?

I will bring two jack stands, and 2 bottle jacks. No need to bring any jack stands. Just bring hi-lift jack base if you have an extra (can come in handy to go under the jack stand or bottle jack in case we need to do any repairs).

Bring a tarp for the ground to lay on wire doing repairs (again hopefully no repair and hopefully the only hard work we will be doing is spotting and getting any of us in tough spots); I have one but extra wouldn't hurt to bring an extra.

Also if I bring the jack stands and bottle jacks, can someone bring the gas grill; I want to share Kinder's tri-tip to the group to enjoy either Fri or Sat night dinner.

The entire rear of my car is full of heavy Oak wood so I will scratch bringing my jack stand then.

See you guys tomorrow... I have to work in the morning... typical I get a job and now it is an inconvenience

The entire rear of my car is full of heavy Oak wood so I will scratch bringing my jack stand then.

See you guys tomorrow... I have to work in the morning... typical I get a job and now it is an inconvenience

Mini-keg vs wood. Keg wins (smile).

Bought a mini-keg instead of firewood since you have a car full of firewood.

You guys/gal are more than welcome to help finish the mini-keg during the trip once settled @ camp. Rready to do. Woohoo!

Hope you all have a great time. :D Take many pictures & video to share.

Many of us would love to join you, but my Rover & budget won't allow it this year. :P

Be safe & have lots of fun.;)

Thanks for the well wishes Jim. Hopefully we can do this again and timing is right for you and others.

It's D Day or Dusy Day!

Crunch time; last min packing and hope to be on the road by noon.

I updated the first post with the attendees, weather (highs in the 82s and lows in the 56s), meeting place, and SPOT link: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0pateI2ZkMNkl9uf1EoPEkqsfJo238CkI

Also Mike aka astateofmike accepted (what a good guy) to be the point person for emergencies during our trip. I programmed his cell and email on the SPOT Help broadcast list in case of any serious injury or emergency (hopefully non-event). I will also provide Mike with a copy of our cell # and emergency contact list. Thanks again Mike.

Just want to write something short for now as I get caught-up with much needed sleep, and then the Monday hussle back to work for me. I am sure the others who came on this trip are in the same boat.

Got home passed midnight after the group made it out of the Dusy Trail yesterday evening.

"Made it Out" is the operative work. Lots of stories to share, and battle scars to show how we got out of this trail.

The Dusy Trail as we all know is longer than the Rubicon Trail . In almost all conversation, the question of which trail is harder when compared. Let me put simply this way - the Dusy is twice the Rubicon.

Think Thompson Hill as Cadillac Hill on steriods. And the Gate Keeper on the Dusy is as designed. Peak of it from the driver's seat spells "Your have no business to be on this trail if you and your spotter are not ready".

Bare with us as we get caught-up; will post pictures and adventure stories soon.

Mini report....

I too arrived late 12:30am this morning.... just finished with internal Monday morning work meeting..... after dropping off kids for first day at school....... I need another vacation.... enough whinning

Now on to the Dusy Ershim Trail.... Forget what everyone has told you, what you've read in other trip reports, books, club flyers, and old folk lore, the Dusy is without comparison. High altitude, remote, 30 miles of unforgiving and relentless off camber tree lined rock garden, up hill and down hill. Fun..... If you're the type that loves adversity and extreme challenges then yes....

Most of what happens on the Dusy stays on the Dusy.... We didn't get out, we finished plain and simple (well not simple) and did the gate keeper at the end properly and not whimp out and take the Rubicon style bypass. I will say that Lutz won the fishing contest with 11 caught. I finished second with 10. more to follow.... Oh, special thanks to Nathan and Ron... Sorry also if I was a little overbearing during the winching operation...

Man what a amazing trail.I had a great time even throw I broke down.Thanks everyone for helping me limp out of the trail.I havent started to pull it apart but already got a rrc rear drive shaft so no more roto.

no sugar coating this one.... 3-1/2 day planned trip turned into a 4-1/2 day trip........ just your basic winch like hell to get out in time for Monday morning work..... in fact I'm pretty sure I pushed a few buttons (people) a little too far a couple of times..... my apologies will be handed out off the air.....

just a little example..... After Lutz mechanical rear diff mishap (Friday afternoon), Nathan and team decided that Lutz should follow Nathan and be second (winching off of Nathan's tow shackle, a tree, or rock, or combination, single line, double line (we pulled out all the tricks in the bag)......., while Ron be third and me tail end charlie... For the most part that worked well. The non winching areas Nathan would go like a bat out of hell with Lutz on his heals (2wd), that left Ron and I in a cloud of dust or the occasional pick our own line that lead to a few rock stacking adventures. On one occasion I thought I had the line, but since my D1 doesn't line to be too tippy in almost all the off-camber sections, I decided to take a safer higher line, only to get my rear diff hung... ok, back out a few feet, stack a few rocks,, move forward, but again the rear diff would hang..... this repeated itself another 3 times until I finally made it through the 8 or 9 feet to find another tough line....... this went on for hours. Then when I finally caught up to the winching parade. I helped Nathan and Lutz stack rocks, handle the winch line, until they gained another 400 feet or so. Then Ron and I would go back to retrieve our trucks and try and make it through the same tough section that Lutz had just winched through. Get the picture..... I know I went through at least one set of gloves.....

I'm sure everyone was understanding, Will. Remember that first Deer Valley trip we went on? The person in front of me didn't stop to spot me through the section and I ended up getting the Black Widow stuck. I think that was when I learned to trust your judgement b/c you & Greg were the ones behind me and helped dig me out.

magnificent, nathan. the scenery is amazing - might favorite surroundings for just about anything, especially wheeling. disturbingly tight trail - looks like something created specifically to scrape and dent. love the dirty faces and hands.

so whose truck had the least body damage?

Archived